Sponsored by:

C3 Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM
btaylor@cunocar.com
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Body

This is my first attempt at restoring a C3.... As a result of rust on the lower section of the birdcage, I have lifted the body and separated the front clip. I am now complete with the birdcage repairs and am ready to put it back together again..... heres the question...... Should I set all the door gaps and rebond the front clip while the body is separated from the chassis or should I rebond the front clip once its sitting on the frame?

Any insight would be appreciated
Old 09-08-2014, 10:52 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chevrolet used a jig to assemble the body clips to the Bird Cage prior to the body being lowered on the chassis. Well, I don't have a jig, but I have the next best thing. A completed rolling chassis. I plan on reattaching the front and rear clips to the Bird Cage with the Cage securely bolted to the chassis.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at attaching the front clip off the car, but without a jig I don't see how it can be done easily. I securely bolted the rear clip down and aligned the front clip on the chassis. You need to get the radiator support and front supports in the correct position, square up the hood opening, and get the door gaps correct. I am certainly not an expert by any means, but doing it on the chassis appeared to be easier.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Imho....

IMHO, I would get the Glas Ra video from Ecklers to help figure out how to install & align everything. Great educational read. Not sure this video directly addresses your question, but the alignment steps should help. My guess is that it is best to do the work on the chassis with the tires on the ground.

Last edited by 20mercury; 09-10-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:42 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Set the rear door gaps. Do not bond the front fiberglass until you PUT THE HOOD ON first. You can always raise the hood if needed but if you bond the front section too low you can not lower the hood. just my .02.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:03 PM
btaylor@cunocar.com
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crf311
Set the rear door gaps. Do not bond the front fiberglass until you PUT THE HOOD ON first. You can always raise the hood if needed but if you bond the front section too low you can not lower the hood. just my .02.
Thanks - everyone advice has been great....I'll post the results or a C3 for sale "as is"

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Body

Quick Reply: C3 Body