Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 vette all original - what should/shouldn't I change

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm with the majority vote and wanting to keep it original. I have a few co workers, non vette owners, but gear heads, that keep talking "put this on it, do that". I like what I got and want to keep it original. Thanks guys.

Now, last question, but perfect noob question... I have to replace the starter. Do I go with a rebuilt starter from local auto parts store for $50, acdelco lifetime warranty local parts store $125, or something else. Does every part need to be original?

Thanks, cody
Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Is your starter the original? Have you checked? In all likelihood, the original was replaced long ago, but stranger things have happened.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyPrince
Ok, I'm with the majority vote and wanting to keep it original. I have a few co workers, non vette owners, but gear heads, that keep talking "put this on it, do that". I like what I got and want to keep it original. Thanks guys.

Now, last question, but perfect noob question... I have to replace the starter. Do I go with a rebuilt starter from local auto parts store for $50, acdelco lifetime warranty local parts store $125, or something else. Does every part need to be original?

Thanks, cody
If the car has the original starter on it, you should either save it or have it rebuilt using the original parts/case. If original, do not trade it in as a core exchange. These items are date stamped, etc.. Once they are gone they are hard to find.

If it's not original to the car, use whatever starter you like.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:00 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

I have used this site to check the VIN and found that it did come with an L82.

I have used this site to check engine code and see that it is the L82

I have found other sites that told me it came with rochester carb, which i have, but just assume it is original. The more I read on this site, the more i wonder if its actually the original carb or just another rochester 4 barrel. i did see some where that there were two numbers of carbs for that year. i didn't save the link or check, but will need to.

How do I find out if my started is original? I do I find out if my radiator cap is original? Is the one big awesome site with all this info?

Thanks, Cody
Old 09-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Carb #'s are on the drivers side.
L82 Auto - 7043212 Fed. (7043512 CA.)
L82 Manual - 7043213 Fed. (7043513 CA.)

For the starter, you can lay on the ground on the passenger side and get a decent look at it. You should be able to see the part # (1108418) and date code. Take a picture if it's hard to read.

For the radiator cap, it should be a RC 15lb cap, but there are different variations. Post a picture.

Last edited by Revi; 09-18-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a few co workers, non vette owners, but gear heads, that keep talking "put this on it, do that". I like what I got and want to keep it original. Thanks guys.
Most 'gear heads' have read too many speed shop catalogues and believed everything they're read in Hot Rod magazine. I bet at least one of them mentioned a Holley or Edelbrock carb, right?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Most 'gear heads' have read too many speed shop catalogues and believed everything they're read in Hot Rod magazine. I bet at least one of them mentioned a Holley or Edelbrock carb, right?
quote... "Holley all the way. Rip that quarda junk off".
Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Revi
Carb #'s are on the drivers side.
L82 Auto - 7043212 Fed. (7043512 CA.)
L82 Manual - 7043213 Fed. (7043513 CA.)

For the starter, you can lay on the ground on the passenger side and get a decent look at it. You should be able to see the part # (1108418) and date code. Take a picture if it's hard to read.

For the radiator cap, it should be a RC 15lb cap, but there are different variations. Post a picture.
The starter I need now and was going to buy today locally, if you guys didn't talk me out of it. i wasn't to get this sucker driving, but with no regrets.

the radiator cap was just an example. I know and have found articles explaining date codes needing to be within the "pre 6 months and car build date, but how and where do i buy a new part? For example, do i search the web for a 41 year old, used radiator cap? how good is the cap going to be?

I need a starter to get back on the road. If I have original starter, do I find someone to rebuild it, or do I just go buy another starter, and keep the original one for when, and if i resell? i know the solenoid is bad and the plastic where the connections are made is cracked. Parts are going to need to be replaced.

Thanks, Cody
Old 09-18-2014, 10:49 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Revi
If the car has the original starter on it, you should either save it or have it rebuilt using the original parts/case. If original, do not trade it in as a core exchange. These items are date stamped, etc.. Once they are gone they are hard to find.

If it's not original to the car, use whatever starter you like.
Makes good sense.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

quote... "Holley all the way. Rip that quarda junk off".
Not surprised in the least. I enjoy jerking these boy racers around by asking what their real life experience is that lead them to that conclusion. Nine times out of ten there's none.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Is there any chance your radiator cap is original to the car? Does it say "STANT" on it in red? Just save the old one and get a new functional cap, which can be harder than it sounds. I bought a new AC Delco radiator cap made in India that leaked right out of the box. Personally I would never go down that dangerous expensive road of looking for old parts that were originally on similar cars so that if I buy it and put it on my car it will be just like original equipment except that it is not really the original part even tho I just paid a fortune for some old piece of junk!

Starter, as someone mentioned above, if there is any possibility your starter is original to your car just take it off and save it; do not trade it in for a new one.

If your carb or starter has the right part numbers - and especially the right dates - it is most likely original to your car.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have used this site to check engine code and see that it is the L82...
Does the VIN derivative stamp next to the engine stamp match your VIN?

Order a copy of The Corvette Black Book or The NCRS 1968-82 Corvette Specifications Guide. If you go the NCRS route, order the 1973 Technical Information and Judging Guide while you're there.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

I say original in appearance, not every part. To the extreme the oil and coolant water and windshield fluid won't be original. Tires and the air in the tires can't be original. The NCRS crowd drives me crazy. They what every nut and bolt to meet some requirement that they say is correct. I say the car should look original more or less and be driven, no trailer queens, but to each their own. I was lucky enough to get my last 73 "tuned by Lars". His professional tuning really made a difference in the car. Start with tuning first and then up the compression ratio, as I did in my 1st 73. It makes a difference, but for everyday driving the tuning was a bigger difference. Make the car yours and don't worry about others.

Quick Reply: 73 vette all original - what should/shouldn't I change