Update...Ever run your Vette out of oil? I just did

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 PM
82 Red Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update...Ever run your Vette out of oil? I just did

Hi all,

In my original post my 82 Red Vette ran out of oil because I was an idiot. I wasn't sure if I was going to sell it or keep it and fix it.

Well I just wanted to say thanks to all who commented on my situation good and bad. I caught some hell from some members but I definetly deserved it.

I also wanted to give an update

After initially having the car towed to my mechanic a quote of 5k for an engine swap took me by surprise. From the many times I had my car repaired there for various reasons I always came away thinking how expensive it all was.

So after deciding that I really want the car back on the road I decided to take some of the members advise and find someone to install a new engine.

I posted an ad on Craigslist for someone to install a new engine and carburator for 1K. I said in the ad that I would buy engine and all needed parts and I got a few different responses. Low and behold a certified auto shop contacted me and said they could do the work. I would just need to buy the parts.

So the car was towed there this morning and now the work of getting the necessary parts is before me.

A few members suggested in my original post that if I was going to fix her I should go for the GM 260 horsepower crate engine. It costs about $1500 and that is the engine I think I might go with. But then I told my brother about it and he said I should go with an engine that has more horsepower.

So my question is now what engine would give me more horsepower without breaking the bank. I know they also sell a 290 horsepower engine. Also what carburator should I purchase as I plan on getting rid of cross fire injection.

Thanks for listening
Brian

For those new to this post I have copied the original post below

My 82 Vette is dead because I am a moron and ran it out of oil. I didn't check it's levels very often and it must of had an oil leak that I didn't know about. What I do know for certain is that I never saw the signs and ran it bone dry. I'm talking getting stuck on the side of the road dry in the hot Florida sun, while wearing all black.

My mechanic says that it needs a new engine which would cost $4k for a basic engine or $5k for a higher performance one which would include installation. He also said he could try to rebuild the bottom end of my existing engine for $2500, but it could still have issues and need much more work if they found problems.

I bought my 1982 Red Vette in 2011 for $6k from a car mechanic who previously owned it and drove it regularly. She told me up front it wasn't perfect. But it looked nice and seemed in good shape. I thought that was a good deal and so I bought it.

But from the start the car was problematic. In the three years I have owned it I have easily spend $4k in repairs that merely got it back on the road again.

So my mind started thinking of all the money I have spend and all the times I have been stuck on the side of the road in the hot Florida sun broken down waiting for AAA. I told myself I am not sure if the car is worth spending any more money on. And I told my self enough is enough. I can't spend one more cent on this car. Certainly I can't spend 4k more when I only bought it for 6K.

An endless money pit but of course I kind of knew that going into this.

At this point I am uncertain how to proceed. Maybe I should try selling it as is and hoping I can get $2k and put that towards a different c3 with a working engine. Maybe I should abandon the older Corvettes for a C5 which might be more dependable. Or maybe I should just bite the bullet and spend the 4k and possibly even more and take care of my baby like I should have to begin with. My knee jerk reaction was to sell it as is and start over.

So at this point I am confused and need some thoughts or opinions on what other people might do in my situation.

Have you have run your corvette out of oil? I am sure nobody else has, but if you did what did you do? If you haven't
run your corvette out of oil, have you ever felt that over time you were spending too much on repairs that simply put it back on the road? Have you ever gotten rid of a Vette to start over with another possibly newer model or one that has less mechanical problems? Maybe the fact that I am about to spend more than the original purchase price in repairs is clouding my judgment in wanting to get rid of her as is.

I am not poor but am not rich either. Even though I am squarely to blame for my beloved Corvettes demise, I am not certain I
can spend $4k on her for the new engine. The car idles horribly at times which I believe is due to the crossfire injection. I believe putting a carburator on would probably solve that problem, but would be additional money that is not included in the new engine quote.

To be clear I know this current breakdown is 100% my own fault and has nothing to do with the other problems the car has or
has had in the past. The blame is squarely on me for this current situation I find myself in.

Unlike some on the forum, I am not mechanically inclined and have no experience or knowledge to fix the problems that arise and so I always take it to my mechanic and soon the costs add up.

Maybe others can help me get some clarity here. I do love my vette and am getting a little emotional now just thinking of not having her anymore. But maybe there comes a point when you simply wish to find another hoping that the grass is greener elswhere.

Thanks for listening

Brian
Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Brian, I have the 330hp HO crate and I wish I saved a bit more to get the zz4-5. Mind you it's no dog but it isn't push you in the seat fast either. I've had a 4160 holley, then powerjection iii then another 4160 holley emission, then a not so well rebuild quadrajet and currently I'm installing a street demon 625. It ran very well with the quadrajet until it started flooding. After the rebuild it never ran like before the flood. I'm hoping the street demon will get me back to the point before the QJ rebuild
Nick

Last edited by dembo; 09-18-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:27 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 82 Red Vette
...But then I told my brother about it and he said I should go with an engine that has more horsepower. ...
gotta love this guy.

If it were me, I'd be saving every penny and drop some kinda mac daddy 400-450 HP whack-a-do motor in it. if its not a daily driver why not have some fun?
if not the latest whack-a-do motor then why do any upgrade? go get a junk yard 350 for 1000-1500 and throw in it.

thats just me. I felt your pain in the other thread. thanks for the update and keep us posted. I'm curious with what you'll do.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:04 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

If you love and would have kept it if this didn't happen yes fix it and do it well.

If you have other dreams of a different car then it may be time to move on.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

First, welcome, and sorry to hear of your misfortune. I think you need to ask yourself if you are willing to start learning about the mechanics of your car. If so, people here can help you - if they know where you are. Having to take it to a mechanic for every little thing is going to break your wallet and spirit.

The cross fire is a good system, when it's running correctly. But again, if your mechanic has no background with it; it's gonna get costly. Converting to carburation is neither cheap nor easy with the on board electronics of the '82.

I wish you success with your decision, the 290hp option would be my choice. Maybe forum members close to you could help with the engine swap.......could save that $1000 and buy beer and pizza, for me that's one of the best parts of this hobby - friends helping friends.

Last edited by briankeery; 09-18-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

Unless money is no object, the 260hp motor is fine. Throw some long tube headers and dual exhaust and call it good! Oh and a rear gear change will help greatly in waking it up!
Old 09-19-2014, 06:47 PM
82 Red Vette
Cruising

Thanks for the replies and comments. I believe I might go the 260hp route. For a second or two I considered the 330 HO. But then the realization of how much more that is going to cost hit me.

It wont be a screamer at all but hopefully will be close to what I had originally.

Thanks again

Brian
Old 09-19-2014, 07:00 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

It's gonna be better - new motor and carb.
Good luck.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Big block
Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 PM
82 Red Vette
Cruising

Thanks all

So many questions and so little knowledge, even less money

But I am learning slowly

Cheers

Brian
Old 09-20-2014, 12:22 AM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

With more HP you'd need to consider if your cooling system would need upgrading and if your transmission & torque converter could live with the extra power. Upgrading the other systems would add to your cost. Headers are great but you'd need to replace the entire exhaust system with true duals to get the full benefit. The 260 HP replacement would get you going and you'd probably notice the extra umph.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

DDawson offers wise words. If this is the car you want, go for it. Otherwise, write off the loss and chalk it up to experience.
These cars are expensive. I am EASILY 50K into a 25K car.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
could save that $1000 and buy beer and pizza, for me that's one of the best parts of this hobby - friends helping friends.
Those are the only kind of friends one really needs. They don't want your money, they don't care what they are doing, as long as they are hanging out and doing something together. Yep, car guys hanging out, building cars is a great thing to experience.

Last edited by Brandons72vette; 09-20-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

FWIW, the "260hp" engine is a stock replacement motor. It will make no more power than a good condition, well-tuned stock late 70's/early 80's base Corvette engine.

It's running 462624 small-valve heads (late 70's vettes used these) and a cam very similar in spec to the L-48 cam.

When I went from my exploded L-48 to the GW350, there was virtually no difference in power. OK, the windowed L-48 made zero HP, but I'm talking about before that.

I'm not trying to talk down the idea, just making sure you have the correct expectations.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:13 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

A little more horsepower sure would not hurt! Lou.

Get notified of new replies

To Update...Ever run your Vette out of oil? I just did

Quick Reply: Update...Ever run your Vette out of oil? I just did