C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAINT!!!!! Follow Along If You'd Like :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:30 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default PAINT!!!!! Follow Along If You'd Like :)

Sorry to disappoint as it's only undercoating/inter-coating so far...but I'm excited about it none the less and thought I'd start a paint thread as I slowly tackle my project head on.

The paint section is very boring so hopefully this can stay in the C3 section...since it's '69 specific

First thing I painted was my windshield frame so it wouldn't flash rust on me. Came out very good for the first time using a HVLP gun I think.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:33 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

I then lifted the body and did the best I could spraying the underside and rear wheel wells.

Sprayed some DIY heat barrior(which many have doubts about) but I did it anyway. Little blotchy as spraying upside down was way harder than I'd have liked.

I then sprayed some bedliner thought the same HVLP gun..which was super slow going but laid down a super thin layer. I like this look over what an actual undercoating gun would have probably gotten me.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 09-28-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Next I tackled the inside. PO installed **** carpet with some of the nastiest glue i've ever seen. I did my best but didn't want to obsess in getting it perfect for nobody ever going to see it.

I've started putting some of the riveted reinforcements back on and the air hammer has shaken some sand loose that was hidden and made the coating look not perfect anymore
Old 09-28-2014, 07:40 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Next I tackled the front wheel wells. with just the primer and bedliner(no heat barrier stuff)

Sorry...hard to get good pictures of it. The different lighting makes it look different in pictures.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 09-28-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Nice..always good to see progress being made.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:56 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

That came out really good! Great job on the undercoating and the before and after '**** rug' interior shots showed the major diff you made. As far as the heat resistant under-coating, gotta try it! If nobody experimented, nobody would know (like your hood scoop!).

Old 09-28-2014, 07:58 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Looking good Punisher. I can see the excitement in your post. It's always that way when you reach that point in a build where you get to break out the gun or guns . And start shootin' something, weather it's primer, paint, or undercoating ( in your case bed liner).
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by persuader
Looking good Punisher. I can see the excitement in your post. It's always that way when you reach that point in a build where you get to break out the gun or guns . And start shootin' something, weather it's primer, paint, or undercoating ( in your case bed liner).
Thanks! Yeah. Knowing from here on I should be mostly building it back from brink is a good feeling.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:07 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Thanks! Yeah. Knowing from here on I should be mostly building it back from brink is a good feeling.
Great job and great pics. I can see what I will be getting into shortly. Keep the pics and info coming.
Roger
Old 10-04-2014, 09:23 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Default Firewall Painted

Painted the firewall tonight. Still wet in the pics so should dry and look even better I hope?

I have 3 options from how i see it:
1. Leave it like it is since anymore work i put into sanding will go unnoticed most likely anyway.

2. Block sand as best I can then spray a sealer coat and call it good.

3. block, sealer, cyber gray body color, clear?. WAY more work but will be a lot more unique, give me some practice spraying the metallic. and might look better than the overused black?

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 10-04-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Looking good......
take your time , dont rush now. Make it yours & be unique
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM
wyocat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great keep the updates coming. I love watching other Vette owners progress.. I can at least live through there pictures.

John
Old 10-08-2014, 01:18 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Painted the firewall tonight. Still wet in the pics so should dry and look even better I hope?

I have 3 options from how i see it:
1. Leave it like it is since anymore work i put into sanding will go unnoticed most likely anyway.

2. Block sand as best I can then spray a sealer coat and call it good.

3. block, sealer, cyber gray body color, clear?. WAY more work but will be a lot more unique, give me some practice spraying the metallic. and might look better than the overused black?
]

MY VOTE #3
Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by blueray72
MY VOTE #3
Yeah... I pretty much came to that conclusion too the other day and started blocking the firewall. Didn't make it very far as work is at it's peak right now and it's getting cold. any painting I do from here on I'll need to heat the garage to get it to cure properly I guess.

I'm NOT going to make it perfect like I'll be doing the outside. But I'll give it a good blocking at least this once or twice and call it good I think.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Looking good. I think you made a good choice for the engine bay. Will mean a lot more work but I think outcome will be worth it in the end. Enjoy.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:27 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

block sanding #1 done...ish

I'll definitely have a VERY good appreciation from now on for those who have gone through the trouble of making their firewalls smooth. This first sanding alone was a couple hours. BUT...no more ugly adhesive ooze out areas for me!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Well either I adjusted my primer gun better somehow or a little block sanding really helps.

This is only blocked with 120... Still have another full session to go then I can think about color.

It looks so nice to me I feel bad I have to sand it again. But there's still a few tiny imperfections that I might as well get since I've come this far.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 10-18-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To PAINT!!!!! Follow Along If You'd Like :)

Old 10-18-2014, 09:10 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Your car is coming along really nice Punisher. I just finished the engine bay on mine. Except for the choice of a little more shine in my black, I went with a more factory look. But nonetheless a lot of work and a huge relief to now be able to put stuff back on instead of removing.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:31 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by persuader
Your car is coming along really nice Punisher. I just finished the engine bay on mine. Except for the choice of a little more shine in my black, I went with a more factory look. But nonetheless a lot of work and a huge relief to now be able to put stuff back on instead of removing.
Thanks. I just checked yours out.. We're pretty close to the same stage on our rebuilds. I still have to do door/hood/headlight gaps though...which is going to take me quite a while I'm afraid.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 PM
betrlatethannevr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really good!

Quick Reply: PAINT!!!!! Follow Along If You'd Like :)