Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junk titles

Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 PM
ualgrizz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Junk titles

Hello Guys! I made a snafoo a couple of years ago. This question is car generic...I do have corvettes by the way. But I deviated from the beaten path and purchased a Porsche while living in Dubai. After returning to the States I tried to title the car and it came up as a junk title. Accordingly, no titles/registration in Colorado. Has anyone ever run across this problem? The car is in perfect condition. Much to my dismay it went through a flood in Texas and I didn't have a clue. I did not do my due diligence when buying the car...it was so nice. The folks at the Colorado DMV told me a story of a person who refurbished a Vette to the tune of $50 large. It also had a junk title. Could not register in Colorado. I did find where one can apply to change a junk to a salvage title in California of all places. Hate to have such a big boat anchor.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Grizz
Old 10-02-2014, 12:12 AM
kcb37
Advanced

How many out of state good friends do you have?
Depending on the state you may be able to have someone else register it in their name and resell/transfer it to Co.

Their are companies that are supposed to be able to register cars like this for you in other states then allow you to register in your own. (only heard about them)

That all said I had a salvage title on a Camaro I bought in Kansas. Registered it in TN, new title was just a regular title. Go figure. Car still went to the scrap yard, figured when I could put both feet through the floor onto the ground it was about time to go.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:27 AM
ualgrizz
Advanced

KC...I have heard of these companies as well...I was hoping that someone would have a lead on it. Thanx
Old 10-02-2014, 08:32 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I would expect the salvage title to be part of a national database that Colorado accessed, therefore I doubt you can successfully wash the title thru another state and then title it in CO. JMHO
Old 10-02-2014, 11:55 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

I live in CO and I thought you could apply for a new vin if it was sal/junk titled thru the the CO State Patrol
Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 64roadster
I would expect the salvage title to be part of a national database that Colorado accessed, therefore I doubt you can successfully wash the title thru another state and then title it in CO. JMHO
I agree once it is junked or dismantled the VIN is killed, salvage do to a flood could be saved
Old 10-04-2014, 11:41 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Based on the OPs comments, the VIN is most likely recorded in the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System as a branded vehicle.

Assuming that is the case, there isn't much that the OP can do. Apparently Colorado does not allow "branded" vehicles to be registered in the state.

There is no way to "wash" this title. The title companies that many in this thread have referred to provide a service for replacing lost titles, getting titles for cars from states that don't title cars of a certain age, etc.

They absolutely do not clean up branded titles. That is a federal offense, and the penalties are severe.

It does appear, from what I can tell, that Colorado will allow taking a salvage title and turning it into a regular title. Check with the Colorado DMV for this process.

Note that this vehicle, even with a regular title, will be required to be marked ON THE VEHICLE with the words "Rebuilt from Salvage".

It looks like there is a way to put the vehicle back on the road in Colorado, but not without some effort.

Get notified of new replies

To Junk titles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Junk titles