Sponsored by:

Replacing Seat Covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Joe Papa
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Seat Covers

I just finished re-dying my seat clam shell covers and am about to replace the seat cover/foam cushions. My question is it easier to install new covered cushions with the seats assembled out of the vehicle or should I install them with the seats assemblies already bolted in the vehicle first?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:23 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

Joe, it's a lot easier to take them out of the car and then take the seat itself apart, bottom and back. You'll need to get on the back end of the cushion to put in the hog rings that hold the upholstery in place. Lay a big blanket out on the table so you don't scratch up the new covers. good luck.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Joe, it's a lot easier to take them out of the car and then take the seat itself apart, bottom and back. You'll need to get on the back end of the cushion to put in the hog rings that hold the upholstery in place. Lay a big blanket out on the table so you don't scratch up the new covers. good luck.

I couldn't imagine the trouble I would have had trying to put the new seat covers and foam in while the seat was still in the car! Hog ring pliers are a must, regular pliers can work, but it's going to be awful. Harbor Freight has some cheap ones.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Joe Papa
Advanced

Originally Posted by kanvasman
For what it's worth, the covered seat foam cushions that I bought are already assembled(no hog rings to deal with). I just have to snap the cushions into the clam shell wire retainers. I thought I read somewhere that when replacing new foam covered cushions as an assembled unit that it might be easier with the seat securely mounted so that you have something solid to leverage against while trying to position the wires into the retainers. Has anybody done it this way before?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Corvette America (I believe is a supporting member) has online videos of most all C3 seat cover installation. Good luck, Bill
Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Papa
For what it's worth, the covered seat foam cushions that I bought are already assembled(no hog rings to deal with). I just have to snap the cushions into the clam shell wire retainers. I thought I read somewhere that when replacing new foam covered cushions as an assembled unit that it might be easier with the seat securely mounted so that you have something solid to leverage against while trying to position the wires into the retainers. Has anybody done it this way before?
We bought new covers and foam and took them to our upholsterer and had them installed...$100.00 a seat. We thought it was well worth the cost for us.
Not sure what all goes into installing them yourself but maybe you could bolt the seats to a work bench or something rather than keep them bolted in the car....that might give you more room to work around them. Just a thought........
Old 10-09-2014, 02:05 AM
Joe Papa
Advanced

While I'm doing the seat thing now, does anyone know where I can get replacement seat hinge inertia weight/cams? Or do most of you just remove this item, since this causes the seats not to fold down at times ; can these be repaired? I am missing two of these weights out of my four seat hinges.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I've done it both ways. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. You do have more "navigation" space with the seats out of the car.

The trick to snagging the clips is to hold your tongue in exactly the right spot.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Grab an old screwdriver and notch it on the end ...makes installing the seats back in the buckets a snap .
Brack ....
Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Joe Papa
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brack c
Grab an old screwdriver and notch it on the end ...makes installing the seats back in the buckets a snap .
Brack ....
Cool, thanks for the tip! I like the carbon fiber look you gave the seat bottom.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack c
Brack ....

I modded an old screwdriver as shown to install new seat covers on new foam on my 79. Did it with the seats out of the car and top and bottom separated. Redoing the seats was a much easier job than replacing the carpets.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Joe Papa
Advanced

Originally Posted by John A F

I modded an old screwdriver as shown to install new seat covers on new foam on my 79. Did it with the seats out of the car and top and bottom separated. Redoing the seats was a much easier job than replacing the carpets.
Boy, am I glad to hear that. I am done re-dying all the interior pieces and almost finished with replacing the carpeting.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Cool, thanks for the tip! I like the carbon fiber look you gave the seat bottom.
Thanks Joe... I did almost every piece of trim on my car with Carbon Fiber Hydrographics ....

The seats are super easy once you get them out of the car
Old 10-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Joe Papa
Advanced

While I'm doing the seat thing now, does anyone know where I can get replacement seat hinge inertia weight/cams? Or do most of you just remove this item, since this causes the seats not to fold down at times ; can these be repaired? I am missing two of these weights out of my four seat hinges.
Can anybody shed some light on this?
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Seat Covers

Quick Reply: Replacing Seat Covers