C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Dating a Tire

Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 AM
John485garage
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wondering. I'm pulling off my 1976 vintage Firestone tires GR70/15 that I road on most of this past summer.
Is there a market for my old tires? They are still in good shape and have penty of tread, no cracks or rot, from the outside. Replacing them with new Bridgeton T/A.
John
Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Like I said earlier, google "aging tires" and take a look at the fatalities numbers.

Is it REALLY worth it?

I have been fortunate to have had only one tire explode on me, and that tire was on the car, and the car was on jack stands.

The absence of an incident is NOT confirmation that the incident will not occur.

Ya'll be careful out there. Cars can be fixed, fixing people is harder.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 PM
melphis
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by John485garage
just wondering. I'm pulling off my 1976 vintage Firestone tires GR70/15 that I road on most of this past summer.
Is there a market for my old tires? They are still in good shape and have penty of tread, no cracks or rot, from the outside. Replacing them with new Bridgeton T/A.
John
You might find a purist that would want them for originality in shows but other than that you might want to just scrap them. After 36 years of service they really don't owe you anything. I gave my 20 year old Goodyear's to a relative to hold up a farm wagon.
Good luck with whatever you decide!!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:35 AM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

These are on my 82 , were on it 13 years ago when I bought it . I'm going to replace but curious on the fate .

Old 10-31-2014, 10:02 AM
melphis
Heel & Toe

The tire in the above photo was made in the 20th week of 1999. I am pretty confident that it was not 1989 as the rest of the DOT shows this was built in a Michelin plant. Michelin took over Uniroyal/Goodrich in the 90's so it had to be after that. If they where mine and I was sticking with the same size I would probably change them out. A quality 15" tire is not that expensive compared with what damage it could cause. If you do plan on running them examine them closely for any signs of cuts, deep abrasions, weather checking and tread separation.
Good luck.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

This is one (maybe the only one) topic that I am pretty adamant about.

If you care about your LIFE, if you care about the LIFE of anyone who may drive the car, if you care about the car, if you care about other drivers on the road, if you care....

...REPLACE THE TIRES.

I have researched this, I have seen the evidence, and I have seen the results. It is not a pretty picture. You can do your own research .... just google "aging tires" and read the evidence for yourself.

It does not matter how good a tire looks; you cannot see what is going on inside the rubber.

If the tires show absolutely no indication of any issues, think hard about replacing them at 6 to 9 years. (Some manufactures actually recommend replacing at 6 years).

Replace them at 10 years or more regardless of condition. If you need them for judging purposes, mount them on another set of wheels, whatever, but don't plan on driving on them.

Guys, I am a rocket scientist, I am in the risk management business. Some risks we have to accept. THIS RISK IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!

Given the significant evidence, and the severity of the consequences, is it really worth the risk.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by melphis
The tire in the above photo was made in the 20th week of 1999. I am pretty confident that it was not 1989 as the rest of the DOT shows this was built in a Michelin plant. Michelin took over Uniroyal/Goodrich in the 90's so it had to be after that. If they where mine and I was sticking with the same size I would probably change them out. A quality 15" tire is not that expensive compared with what damage it could cause. If you do plan on running them examine them closely for any signs of cuts, deep abrasions, weather checking and tread separation.
Good luck.
Thanks again ...I'm going to change them out ....just interested in their age . They are dang near brand new looking BUT with totally hidden dangers .
Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

[QUOTE=emccomas;1588160334]This is one (maybe the only one) topic that I am pretty adamant about.

If you care about your LIFE, if you care about the LIFE of anyone who may drive the car, if you care about the car, if you care about other drivers on the road, if you care....

...REPLACE THE TIRES. < snip

I took your advice and in doing so found that in addition to the four that were 1977 the spare is the original '72 and has never seen any use and still has the little rubber spurs

This is fresh out of the carrier

Rubber spurs

cleaned up

Manufacture date code

Other markings

The difference when driving is amazing and just goes to confirm how bad the tyres were.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:24 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

A few years ago I bought an 82 with the original tires that looked perfect. The day before the purchase I made arrangements to buy new tires from a nearby tire shop before I made the one hour drive home. THE THREADS BEGAN TO SEPARATE AFTER ONE MILE. Fortunately the tire shop was in sight when this happened. 10 years is my absolute max.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help Dating a Tire