Sponsored by:

1981 Corvette nss wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:39 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Corvette nss wiring

My son bought a 1981 Corvette in good condition but not all there. We rebuilt the engine and transmission and are ready to fire but it will not start. Changed the ignition switch on the steering column. noticed that the NSS two purple wire do not have a place to clip into. Where do the larger purple and the smaller purple/white wire go to? Very frustrated and ready to enjoy the car!! please help!!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:59 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

A pic would help, where are these wires?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
A pic would help, where are these wires?
There are four attached to the Nss on the shifter. Two wires run the backup lights and the two purples are the ones that make it start only in Park or neutral. I do not have wires to Plug into. I do not know where the purple wires are supposed to go. I could wire around the switch if I have to. Just became a member and have not looked at posting pics. Another post has a good pic of the switch, but does not show where wires go to.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:47 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

the large purple wire is for automatic trans. the purple/white is for a standard/clutch switch. there should be a yellow wire, that is what connects to the purple or purple/wht. wire depending on your trans. to send power to the starter from the key switch in the start position....
Old 10-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

From my 82 ...does this help ??

Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 AM
tracyborden
Cruising

Originally Posted by Brack c
From my 82 ...does this help ??

Our 81 does not have a clip to click into. I cannot see any place where the wires may have been clipped. Coming out of the harness, i do not see those color wires. Trying to add image but having problems.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:23 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

you may already have these....wiring diagram 1981
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...TkzNDc2YzgzNGU
Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

Thanks! We are also in the middle of 1973 Camaro build. We thought the Corvette could be on the road quickly, but small items keep whipping us. Also had a lot of trouble finding brackets and pulleys... I teach welding in a Tech Center so the Auto class asked to finish the Corvette such as brakes, wiring, and vacuum hoses. Getting itchy! Having trouble posting pics...

Last edited by tracyborden; 10-13-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:22 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

i have a photobucket account, i bluetooth the pictures from my phone to my laptop and then i download to photobucket. then you just right click the pic in P.B. copy and paste to forum message box....
I dont know what trans you have, but some, maybe all, i dont know, had a extra plug under the dash near wear clutch pedal would be to plug in NSS. my 79 has a spare plug under the dash w/ yell/purple wire plug for a clutch pedal nss ....

after looking at the schematics the 81 had a theft deterrant interrupt starter relay on the purple wires. i hope that isnt giving you any problems...

Last edited by speedreed8; 10-13-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

The Auto students found the anti-theft and determined it to be good. They nearly traced out the wires today, so we should be close. I also figured out I had the long water pump crank shaft pulley so I ordered the correct one. I will relay the info about the other wires. Thanks! This site is helpful.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

got the NSS wired correctly. everything comes on when key is turned, but still won't crank. Will try new battery tomorrow. ECM has been removed but we have old Quadrajet and vacuum advance distributor so we should not need it. I read on another thread that we are OK in this form. We got the Corvette to drive while we finished the Camaro, but I thinks we may finish the Camaro first at this rate.Lol!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:09 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Start by testing at the starter and work back from there.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

Brand new starter, fresh overhauled engine. I can run starter by shorting across posts. I am running out of items to check. When you turn key to start, everything shuts down like it is supposed to, but will not engage starter. Ran shifter through all gears also and no engage. once before when we had wires hooked up wrong, the starter ran when key turned on, but all wires are where they are supposed to be now.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

Aha! The rod that engages the ignition switch does not move. Although, I moved it by hand and still nothing. the key switch must be bad. Will change it.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

Will think twice before buying another basket case...
Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

The car starts and runs easily if I jump across the unused purple and yellow wires that are not cOnnected to anything. Right now using a remote push button start. Will also have to tighten valves on new engine. Also, the wiper motor feels hot so I unplugged it for now. Prolly won't get to hit it hard again until this weekend. The boy did good putting the engine together. Starts easily. There are four or five empty plugs headed tonward the ECM which is now gone.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 PM
tracyborden
Cruising

Ok. it was sugested that i check up on the student ignition switch install by my smart friend. He said the yellow wire shouls only be hot when the key is turned to start. In only about 15 minutes, the steering column was down. Moved the swith all the way toward the driver and the car kicks right off with the key! I waisted two weeks looking for the problem. the student mechanic never adjusted/checked his work. Car runs great! We enjoy the "lope" of the 3/4 Crane camshaft.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Corvette nss wiring

Quick Reply: 1981 Corvette nss wiring