Sponsored by:

1976 Steering Column question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Steering Column question

Hey guys... i just bought my first Corvette. It's a 1976 Coupe. I've been trying to read up on changing the steering wheel out as the one on the car is shot. I understand that in 1976 the hub changed and an adapter kit is necessary for the tilt/telescopic column. My question is, my steering column appears to be original, it has tilt but does NOT have telescopic... I haven't seen anything about that. Any experts wanna chime in and tell me if that column will require the adapter to use an aftermarket steering wheel?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:08 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

I believe all 76 tilt columns also are telescopics and require an adaptor for an aftermarket wheel. I also have a 76. The center horn piece has a ribbed outer ring that unlocks it if you turn it left.Pull or push. Turning right locks it it place.

Last edited by gjohnson; 10-12-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Yep! You were right. The things I had seen all said there was a release on the underside of the column. Guess that's on different year models. Thanks! Guess I'm stuck buying a $200 adapter to use a different wheel.

Anyone know anything about restoring the original wheel? Mine is all sticky and black and discolored... heat and age get it?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:21 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Sounds like its just filthy.Mine also got sticky and dirty. If its not damaged you can just clean it and use interior spray dye/paint that will match original interior.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Burt
Yep! You were right. The things I had seen all said there was a release on the underside of the column. Guess that's on different year models. Thanks! Guess I'm stuck buying a $200 adapter to use a different wheel.

Anyone know anything about restoring the original wheel? Mine is all sticky and black and discolored... heat and age get it?
Hi Jason, check out the post My 76. The stock Vega wheel was replaced with a 1977 hub and pieces that I got from a guy who had a lot of used parts. $50. and the job was done. Column was tilt and telescopic. no adapters.
Roger
Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Jason Burt
...The things I had seen all said there was a release on the underside of the column...
Order a 76 owner's manual. You'll find valuable information in it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The following is a link to one paper and also there are two blowup pics below that should help you to understand the installation of a 1977-82 steering wheel on a 1976 T&T column. I had a 1976 Vette and one of the first things that I did was to swap out the "Vega" steering wheel, horn, and telescope lock hardware for the 1977-82 steering wheel and hardware.

Note that the 1977-82 pic shows a hub assembly just below the extension. The 1976 blowup does not have a seperate hub because the hub is molded into the base of the steering wheel. The 1976 system also has a special telescope locking ring (called a lever #1) that sort of fits into the center of the steering wheel as well. The extension is unique for the 1976 steering wheel also.
Jim
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1039#attachments

Last edited by Jim Shea; 10-13-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:55 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

I think of it as the vega has the vette wheel
Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 PM
xman9903
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the adapter kit to ditch the Vega wheel in my '76 and have zero regrets. I just bought one of the $99 leather wrapped wheels from one of the major Corvette parts vendors and it looks both awesome and original. For $300 it has been one of my favorite upgrades on the car.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:17 PM
xman9903
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you want an original black wheel, I still have mine with the locking ring and horn button. All in good shape. Not sure what color interior you have.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:30 AM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xman9903
And if you want an original black wheel, I still have mine with the locking ring and horn button. All in good shape. Not sure what color interior you have.
cool... how much you want for the original wheel, locking ring and horn button? My interior is actually the deluxe interior. Mostly firethorn red but has the two-tone white and firethorn door panels with teak accents. I think a black wheel would still look okay since there's other black trim.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Jason Burt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
The following is a link to one paper and also there are two blowup pics below that should help you to understand the installation of a 1977-82 steering wheel on a 1976 T&T column. I had a 1976 Vette and one of the first things that I did was to swap out the "Vega" steering wheel, horn, and telescope lock hardware for the 1977-82 steering wheel and hardware.

Note that the 1977-82 pic shows a hub assembly just below the extension. The 1976 blowup does not have a seperate hub because the hub is molded into the base of the steering wheel. The 1976 system also has a special telescope locking ring (called a lever #1) that sort of fits into the center of the steering wheel as well. The extension is unique for the 1976 steering wheel also.
Jim
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1039#attachments

thanks for this! VERY helpful!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:43 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did all of you install the upgraded 77 steering wheel hub? I used the puller (76' from Ecklers) to remove the original steering wheel and hub but can't figure out how to use the puller to re-install the upgraded steering wheel on the steering shaft.

There is a ribbed telescopic shaft that the hub needs to get installed on but the puller kit does not fit with any components to push it on the shaft. Can you just install the nut and washer and that will push it onto the ribbed shaft?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeVette
Can you just install the nut and washer and that will push it onto the ribbed shaft?

Thanks
Had my wheel off a few weeks ago and that's exactly how I got it back on: just set the hub over the shaft, dropped on the washer and hand-threaded the nut, then tightened till it wouldn't go any further. No problems, though admittedly it's not been on the road since then.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 AM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
Had my wheel off a few weeks ago and that's exactly how I got it back on: just set the hub over the shaft, dropped on the washer and hand-threaded the nut, then tightened till it wouldn't go any further. No problems, though admittedly it's not been on the road since then.
Thanks for the insight Kris. Can you tell me what size nut you used for this. I can't seem to find it online. I assume I can get it at the hardware store. Sometimes they throw us a metric and I want to be sure. .
Old 03-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not entirely sure of the nut size, but I think it was a 15/16. I had to use a 4-way tire-iron to get it off because it was the only tool I had that fit, so I wasn't really paying attention and just kept fiddling until I found one of the sides fit. You can buy the nut from many of the Corvette vendors online: probably more pricey than getting one at the hardware store, but at least you know you're getting the right part. Here's one at Willcox.

If you have not already bought reference books for your car I highly suggest you take a look at this thread and get a few. At a minimum, get an owners manual (if you don't have one), an Assembly Instruction Manual, and a factory service manual. Note: for a 1976 car you will have to buy both the 74 Service Manual AND the 76 supplement. Kinda sucks, but it is what it is. Get both. With those you should be able to do just about anything short of major component overhaul on your car, and trust me they pay for themselves after the first few times you use them.

Also, once you learn how to read the AIM (and it does take some learning) you'll find that it actually gives you the GM part number for whatever you're looking at, which you can then google search to find. I lost a little lock washer from my rear view mirror that absolutely NONE of the vendors sell. I found the part number in the AIM, googled it and found it listed in a GM parts list book as a #10 external tooth lock washer. Went to Lowes and picked up a pack of 4 for $1. Again, this was a part that none of the vendors had. If I hadn't had the AIM in order to get the part number, I'd have been up a creek. Even in this internet age, books are still invaluable.

Last edited by Kris Tunetso; 03-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Steering Column question

Quick Reply: 1976 Steering Column question