Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to give 75-77 Vettes some love?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Loa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to give 75-77 Vettes some love?

Hello,

First post here, but I've been a fan of Vettes since I was old enough to know that my uncle's car was a Corvette, a 1972 C3. I'd dearly love to own one of the early C3s, but they're too expensive for my project. I currently have a 1973 Challenger in excellent shape that I'm planning to sell next spring, and use the money to get a project 68-69 Charger and a project Vette.

I really like the look of the 75-77 Vettes, but know that they're not great performers. My Challenger has a 1970 340 in it and it's a lot of fun to drive. The engine is rated close to 275 hp. Not a monster, not a big block, but plenty powerful for me.

And so my question: how much cash/effort does it take to take one of those 75-77 cars and give it roughly the same power as the Challenger?

I know there are a lot of variables and questions, but I'd like to get a ballpark figure.

Thanks!

P.S. I know there's something of a rivalry between Corvettes and Mopars, but I don't much care about that... I just want one of each! :-)
Old 10-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Loa,

I hate to be the 1st to jump in and will most likely ruffle a few feather.

In My Opinion the last of the C3 cars with any power ended in 1973....1974 and up were the Politically Correct, safety bumpers, low HP gas savers of the time.

Go flippin crazy, buy a cheap 74-77 and toss what ever you want into it.

My 1973 was not a numbers matching car so I am doing just hat....making it my own.

So far all new suspension, bushings, bearings, brakes, trans with a shift kit, High stall converter and 375 hp 350.

I have a friend that bought a 1971 Corvette in parts we came to find out after it was delivered....If the number don't match if will go from a auto 350 to a 427 and a 4 or 6 speed.

Sorta like taking a 1973 Vega and dropping a 350 into it for fun.

Just my thoughts,

Karsten
Old 10-18-2014, 10:16 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The hp rating ratings for later c3's imo are poppy **** the only real difference is net to gross so the same 350 in 72 that made 330 in 75 made 250 big woopty. Now that being said with minor mods you can make a 350 sb into a beast or at least a pretty fun ride with a good cam, headers, and true duals will give it some life and that is basically what sets the 75 and up apart from the older cars imo. You can also do what ever you please to the non chrome vettes because they are not "desirable". The good thing about this gen is that a lot of parts are interchangeable so certain things you like from certain years you can add to them like a higher redline rpm, gauges to a certain extant, Seats from what ever year and if that ask you what year you can say pick one like mr.vette (I think) says. so a mild cam headers and true duals and even an intake manifold with a good carb with good timing shouldn't be all that expensive. Don't forget those low HP motors were one of the highest rated for its time and kept the corvette strong and still a sports car especially those good ol L82 while others were struggling. again just my opinion.

p.s. real friends don't let friends drive DODGE.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:25 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Karsten
Loa,

In My Opinion the last of the C3 cars with any power ended in 1973....1974 and up were the Politically Correct, safety bumpers, low HP gas savers of the time.

My 1973 was not a numbers matching car so I am doing just hat....making it my own.

So far all new suspension, bushings, bearings, brakes, trans with a shift kit, High stall converter and 375 hp 350.

I have a friend that bought a 1971 Corvette in parts we came to find out after it was delivered....If the number don't match if will go from a auto 350 to a 427 and a 4 or 6 speed.

Just my thoughts,

Karsten
To educate you better 73 and 74 had the same motors same everything , but a different rear bumper system . Same interior Both dual exhaust , Muncie transmissions , better handling and ride than previous corvettes....I know cause I owned 5 of them.

Hey buddy , Sorry to ruffle your ....feathers .....don't go around be so ignorant .....
Old 10-19-2014, 08:15 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Karsten
Loa,

Just my thoughts,

Karsten
I disagree with this. I like the look of the rubber bumper cars with the flat back window. They are an excellent buy money wise for what you get and you can easily drop in a crate engine for as much power as you want.

You will have about $10,000 left compared to buying an early C3 and that money can make your rubber bumper car way more powerful than those earlier cars.

Not sure where "Vega" comes from any thoughts on the Corvette??
Old 10-19-2014, 08:33 AM
vette_20
Instructor

Originally Posted by minitech
I disagree with this. I like the look of the rubber bumper cars with the flat back window. They are an excellent buy money wise for what you get and you can easily drop in a crate engine for as much power as you want.

You will have about $10,000 left compared to buying an early C3 and that money can make your rubber bumper car way more powerful than those earlier cars.

Not sure where "Vega" comes from any thoughts on the Corvette??
I agree think rubber bumpers look way better
Old 10-19-2014, 08:55 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Dude! If you like the 75-77 Vettes the best then go for one. Luckily, they are plentiful and relatively cheap. So that should leave you with, Depending on what your molar is worth, Enough money to do pretty much whatever you like. As long as you are not really concerned about originality and vehicle value.
Also, If you are wondering what it takes to make a 75-77 get up and go as well as your Mopar 340 275hp. I will bet that Headers,true duals, and a proper tune up and dist. recurve and you would be surprised what a 75-77 will do.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Loa
Heel & Toe

Hello,

Thanks for the inputs (and debates!).

Originally Posted by persuader
If you are wondering what it takes to make a 75-77 get up and go as well as your Mopar 340 275hp. I will bet that Headers,true duals, and a proper tune up and dist. recurve and you would be surprised what a 75-77 will do.
I *do* want to be surprised. And they *are* quite cheap.

I love the looks of the early and mid C3s, but don't want a great looking car that my (daily driver) 2010 Corolla S will give a run for its money! I've seen this happen in reverse: I "raced" my corolla against a 1976 vette with base motor on the empty freeway, from 0-75. I lost, obviously, but not by all that much. We were both very surprised! Granted, the Vette must not have been properly tuned, etc... But still!

So. Headers and exhausts (2.5"?), OK.

What about carb and intake? Are the engines air starved?

If you guys think I can get respectable power from a 75-77 without having to rebore, I'm very interested.

Loa
Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 AM
persuader
Drifting

If you want to out run most the imports out there? Well I'm sure thats not to big a problem. But if you think that being out run by any of them at all is unacceptable? Then I hope you have deep pockets. Its just a fact of life that many of the new cars are faster and more agile than your C-3 could ever be.
Being fast is great. Being the fastest, to me is like the old gunslinger. There is always someone faster.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like we've been down a similar path with our cars.

I've owned / built three Challengers over the years ('70, '72 and '74). I've also had a mix of GM, Ford and Chrysler cars and trucks. We're now working on a '77 Corvette. Fun car for sure, and I like it because it's the last year of the flat back window and the "real" Corvette gauges.

Have fun with your search and project!

Adam
Old 10-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Loa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by persuader
If you want to out run most the imports out there?
Just the fast Corollas...

I get what you're saying about wanting to be the fastest. And that's not what I want at all (don't think I ever went beyond 100 with my Challenger). If that were the case, I'd get the baddest C7 Vette. :-)

What I'd like is a inexpensive Corvette with looks that I like (which means 75-77 for my tastes and budget) that still has a lot of oopmh. Thing is, the oomph I like comes from torque, and (correct me if I'm wrong), it's easier to come by with a big block. Alternatively, if I choose my cam to get the most low-end torque, I won't have that nice rough idle sound I really like (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
We're now working on a '77 Corvette.
Any thread where I could have a look?

Thanks!

Loa
Old 10-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Loa

And so my question: how much cash/effort does it take to take one of those 75-77 cars and give it roughly the same power as the Challenger?

I know there are a lot of variables and questions, but I'd like to get a ballpark figure.

Thanks!
Chevy small blocks without a doubt- are the cheapest to build compared to Ford or Mopar..and a lot more availability of parts.

This was many years ago- but built a 350 w/ 300HP for $500.

Good read-

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...p/viewall.html
Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 AM
persuader
Drifting

There is plenty of info in the Tech/performance section on squeezing the sbc for more power. And some guys that know waaay more than I that are always willing to help. Check it out.
And also, Welcome to the C-3 Corvette family!
Old 10-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Purchase a 75-77, tune it, drive it for a while, then determine whether it meets your horsepower demands.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:49 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Loa
Any thread where I could have a look?

Thanks!

Loa
Here is our project...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-project.html

Adam
Old 10-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These guys have already given you some good information. As I have owned and built every make of domestic muscle car (including AMC ) I can tell you what I'm sure you already know; Chevys are by far the easiest and cheapest to modify! A small block Chev can be built (hp to hp) for about half the price than anything else due to its popularity, simplicity and availability. You could do a cam change to a mid year L-48 and get 250 hp on a bad day. 500hp on pump gas is common these days!

Its the car that you need to focus on. Corvettes are a different breed of car. They are neither a muscle car or a true sports car. Think of it as a sports car chassis with a muscle car drivetrain. The suspension and frame are complicated and can be costly to repair if the car you buy is worn out. The brake system was the best available at the time, but, can also be an issue in a cheap car. Please read through the sticky at the top on buying a Corvette to see what you should be looking for. With what you are looking for in a toy, you need not concern yourself with what's under the hood (crate motors are cheap and numerous), but, find yourself with a rusty and whooped car and the Corvette will cost you twice what you are planning with the Charger!!

BTW: I'd keep the Challenger and drop a 440 into it.

Last edited by Ontario73; 10-19-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Loa
Heel & Toe

Hello,

Originally Posted by Ontario73
A small block Chev can be built (hp to hp) for about half the price than anything else due to its popularity, simplicity and availability.
Good man to ask this: for availability, is it the case even in Canada? (Quebec for me.)

find yourself with a rusty and whooped car and the Corvette will cost you twice what you are planning with the Charger!!
I sure hope not! Even a project Charger (68-69) is more expensive than a fully decent 75-77 Corvette! I'll give the guide a good read, but I pretty much already know how to spot a bad car. Roughly the same for all makes.

BTW: I'd keep the Challenger and drop a 440 into it.
I've thought about it, especially since it's not a matching numbers car. But I'd really like to get my hands on a Charger (not matching number either), and put the 440 in it!

Also, I've got a very good offer on hand for my Challenger. If it goes through (gotta be careful sometimes), I'd be making 7K profit in a single year. And since it's pretty much as good as it's going to get, I see no point in keeping it.

So if my wife doesn't kill me , I'd really like to get a low-cost Vette project and a decent Charger project.

Loa

Get notified of new replies

To How to give 75-77 Vettes some love?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My usual recommendation, in order:

1. Make sure everything is in good shape (plugs/cap/rotor/wires), carb, compression check, distributor moves freely.
2. Recurve the distributor for more timing advance (see Lars's papers).
3. From there, it's cubic dollars. If you really and truly will be happy around 300 hp, a mild cam will get you nearly there. But if your motor isn't good, I'd start looking at a rebuild with heads/cam or going with a crate engine.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Loa
Heel & Toe

Hello,

So a nice check-up, new advance advance curve and a mild cam should bring me up in the high 200s with a L82? Very nice to know!

On the other hand, I don't much care about hp: torque is what speaks to me. The sb chevys already have decent torque. Is there a way to significantly boost this, especially at low RPMs?

Loa
Old 10-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Sorry, I didn't realize you had an L-82. I'd leave the cam alone. The gains vs the effort is not going to be very high.

The ignition recurve will pick up your low end quite a bit. The headers will give you power everywhere, and I'd wager good money more than a cam would on an otherwise factory late 70's Corvette engine.

Quick Reply: How to give 75-77 Vettes some love?