Sponsored by:

Vacuum canisters on heater duct inside car

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Vacuum canisters on heater duct inside car

Previous owner disconnected three vacuum lines on the two vacuum canisters that are located on the heater ducts inside the car on my 72 corvette. Unfortunately he didn't mark anything and the assembly manual doesn't show clearly what colors connect where . There is one line with a red stripe , one with a blue stripe, and one plain black line. Does anyone have a picture with the dash panels removed or a description of the colors on the first double port canister toward the drivers side and the single port canister toward the passenger side ?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bj,
I believe you'll need to see the side of the heater controller where the hoses attach to a small manifold.
The nipples on the manifold that the hoses attach to are numbered.

#3 goes to the driver's side connector of the pot on the left of the heater box.
#4 goes to the single nipple on the pot sitting on the heater box's top surface.
#5 goes to the passenger's side connector of the pot that #3 also goes to.
#6 is the vacuum supply line from the engine compartment.

Regards,
Alan

This info is from the Dr.Rebuild Catalogue. For many things his drawings are better than the AIM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:40 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi bj,
I believe you'll need to see the side of the heater controller where the hoses attach to a small manifold.

#3 goes to the driver's side connector of the pot on the left of the heater box.
#4 goes to the single nipple on the pot sitting on the heater box's top surface.

Regards,
Alan

This info is from the Dr.Rebuild Catalogue. For many things his drawings are better than the AIM.
Thanks Alan , I didn't notice the numbers . That should help, I will check it out in the morning. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Hi bj,

Regards,
Alan

Alan , I checked the hoses and something is different on my car. ( NO AIR CONDITION ) I only have numbers 1-2-3-4 on the left side of the heater control and #4 goes through the firewall to the engine vacuum. On that same black line there is a "T " connection that also goes to the other side of the heater control to feed vacuum to the rear car vent canister. The vacuum line going through the firewall has not been disturbed so I assume it is right . The three lines on the two canisters on top of the heater duct were the only ones removed and not marked. They are located on the side of the heater control as follows , ( 1 ) Black with red stripe , ( 2 ) Plain black , ( 3 ) Black with blue stripe , and lastly ( 4 ) Plain black hose that runs to the T and continues through the firewall to vacuum origination.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bj1k,
Lets try:
Red stripe to the driver's side of the pot closest to the driver.
Blue stripe to the passenger's side of the pot closest to the driver.
Black (no stripe) to the pot on the top of the heater box.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Hi bj1k,
Lets try:
Red stripe to the driver's side of the pot closest to the driver.
Blue stripe to the passenger's side of the pot closest to the driver.
Black (no stripe) to the pot on the top of the heater box.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks for your responses Alan. I'm thinking the same thing . I was just going to hook them up that way but wanted to get some kind of confirmation so I don't have to tear the dash out again to change them. I ordered some parts today from Dr. Rebuild and they are sending me one of their old catalogs . They told me that they haven't printed any new catalogs for a few years but they have a few left for reference. Will see what happens. Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum canisters on heater duct inside car

Quick Reply: Vacuum canisters on heater duct inside car