Sponsored by:

Jacking up my 69' stingray to look for dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 AM
TommyLee618
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking up my 69' stingray to look for dust

It really embarrassing to come ask these question that were probaly taught in basic automotive in high school. SEE that was the class i was already skipping because who would of thought i would live in the real world one day and it would be good to know some basic car knowledge. So somone had mentioned for me to jack it up so we can get a look at the under side. I assume place my hydrolic jack right on the fram by the rear wheel and get it up. i'm not sure what i am looking for except for lots of rust- someone said something about a dogleg? might as well have been speaking French loli really dont think rust is going to be an issue but i wanna rule it out right away. So when i have the jack on it i should i try to get as many pictures of the undercarriage as i can ? i know i rely on your guys alot- i just know how much time i willl save talking with guys who know thier stuff.

Last edited by TommyLee618; 10-20-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:24 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Corvettes, like all cars have certain points on the frame in which to position a jack. It is important to utilize those points, and only those points.
Once jacked up properly, you must position quality jack stands (cheap jack stands can be very expensive) at corners of the car where work is being done (or all four corners), if only lifting one end, be sure and block the wheels on the opposite end.
In addition to the jack stands, leave the floor jack making contact, as an additional safety feature.
Manuals for your car, will instruct you where to locate the jack.
Elevating your car, is not to be taken lightly..most of us, who work on cars, and have friends who work on cars, have had friends die, from a car falling off of its support (I had two people I knew).
Safety first!

Last edited by tokim; 10-20-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Recommended jacking points are in the owner's manual and the jacking instructions on the jack storage compartment door.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Just take your time and pay attention to what you're doing.

The dogleg is the part of the frame in front of the rear tires

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ks-safety.html

Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Other people call that area the rear wheel kick-up. Lou.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts

Here is a picture of the rear kickup or dogleg that we are talking about. This is a picture of my car while it was up on a lift when I got new tires this summer. It was taken with me standing under the car. The kickups are directly in front of the rear wheels. You may be able to get a limited look without jacking up your car, but it is far easier to see when it is on a lift, jack stands or backed up on ramps.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2014, 01:42 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I use the "roll-around" floor jack that can be bought at most auto parts stores for Around $50.......I also bought four jack stands ( a great friend of mine was killed while using the jack that came with the car. He forgot to place a jak stand).

Always take the extra 30 seconds to place the jack stand in a solid location. And take lots ok pic from different angles using a flash or a drop light .

And always ask questions if you can find info by using the SEARCH FUNCTION.

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-20-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:57 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I've always used the expression "kickup area" in front of the rear wheels. I think this can be the most important spot to check for rust. Below is another clear photo of what the kickup is, the place where the side rail turns upward above the rear wheel. Just imagine on a car the rear wheel being where the brake caliper is.

Look at the side rail for spliced-in sections and look at the rear "cap" for softness or rusting.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 AM
TommyLee618
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AkrHack
Here is a picture of the rear kickup or dogleg that we are talking about. This is a picture of my car while it was up on a lift when I got new tires this summer. It was taken with me standing under the car. The kickups are directly in front of the rear wheels. You may be able to get a limited look without jacking up your car, but it is far easier to see when it is on a lift, jack stands or backed up on ramps.
i really have no idea what im looking at - im going to left one rear cornoer today and get some pictures ill post later today.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Tommy,

I would really recommend then taking someone to look at this car with you. Maybe someone here on the forum, a local NCRS chapter member or other local car club.

I would not skimp on this inspection; get verification from someone who knows that the frame and birdcage are in good condition.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:02 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyLee618
i really have no idea what im looking at - im going to left one rear cornoer today and get some pictures ill post later today.
Tommy,

Here is another pic of the same area on my car that is shown in my previous post, but from view that will be easier for you see without jacking up your car. You'll just need to lay on the ground with your head in front of the rear wheel. Please take a good quality picture of this area and uploaded it to this thread so the forum members can give you an opinion about the rust present in this area of your car's frame.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Also, when using jack stands-take weight of car off the jack itself so all weight is on jack stand, using jack as a secondary "catch point". Test stands before proceeding under(shake car to be sure stands do their job).

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up my 69' stingray to look for dust

Quick Reply: Jacking up my 69' stingray to look for dust