Side exhaust rattle fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Ryan69Vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side exhaust rattle fix

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. Thanks for all the shared information. My exhaust developed a rattle the other day and it drove me nuts. My pics explain what I did and what I found. With the car off and the exhaust cool I hit the pipe to try to locate the rattle. I narrowed it down to the area you see and there it was. Everything else I could see and feel inside felt solid. Welded it shut and it was fixed. I realize I just bought myself some time. Since it is my first post I will tell you about my car. It is a 69 l46 vert. Power steering/brakes and that's it. The paint was done in 1974. The paint has some spider cracks which I call patina but is in really great shape. It's got some 70's flare to it. It has 54,000 miles on it. I am the third owner. The second owner who had it painted bought it with 40,000 miles on it. It was originally Riverside Gold. He also put new tires on it in 1974. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share this cheap fix because I think they are welcomed whenever possible and introduce myself. Thanks again.
Attached Images      
Old 10-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ryan,
I'm glad you've taken this opportunity to post!
NICE looking car!
An interesting picture of the piece of perforated tube.
I knew they were in there but don't think I've seen a picture of it's actual configuration.
Thanks again for taking the time to post the pictures!
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-20-2014, 01:54 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

No wonder.......that's a nice chunk of metal.......nice surgery too!

Keep the pics coming when you work on, modify the car.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

time for some new mufflers i would say
Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
And new tires if they were purchased in 1974. Nice looking car.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Ryan69Vette
4th Gear

Originally Posted by havesometo
And new tires if they were purchased in 1974. Nice looking car.
Originally Posted by qwank
Understood. Just buying time before buying parts. Plus, with the shroud, out of sight / out of mind. My problem was the sound. The removal of some of the baffle did not change the sound of the exhaust as far as I can tell but it did eliminate the rattle. I have new tires on different rims. The old tires are GR60-15 on the rear and FR60-15 on the front. You would think they would be dry rotted and falling apart by now but they look perfect. Not a crack anywhere but they still might blow out. I don't go over 25 mph I'm glad you guys like the car. I love it.
Attached Images   
Old 10-20-2014, 09:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

My tires looked as good as yours.........they nearly disintergrated while I was on my first test drive.....

Keep us updated.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:28 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Beautiful looking car. I like those red accents. Do I see some red interior parts?

About those four tail lights. I really like the 68 Corvette with it's four tail lights and separate backup lights. I'm really disappointed GM dropped them for cost savings. Nevermind. My 70 project car has 68 tail lights and 68 backup lights. Nothing kluged...I have 68 rear end wiring harness in the car from lectriclimited. Lot of fun buying a good set of 68 backup lights!!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Z06FEVER
Instructor

Excellent looking car! I really like the vintage paint designs. Thanks for posting and that was a great idea to stop the rattle. Welcome to the forum!!!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Ryan69Vette
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Beautiful looking car. I like those red accents. Do I see some red interior parts?

About those four tail lights. I really like the 68 Corvette with it's four tail lights and separate backup lights. I'm really disappointed GM dropped them for cost savings. Nevermind. My 70 project car has 68 tail lights and 68 backup lights. Nothing kluged...I have 68 rear end wiring harness in the car from lectriclimited. Lot of fun buying a good set of 68 backup lights!!
Thanks. The paint scheme has really grown on me. I have the original taillights but it's a 69. I wish I had some reverse lights for you. I just pull through all my parking spaces so I don't have to back out. Haha. The interior does have red accents. There are custom seat covers with red woven through the center sections. They are installed over the original seat covers which are supposedly torn. The door panels have the same red woven material under the pull handle. It was nicely done in 70's style. I have the original steering wheel but I really like the feel and size of the wooden wheel. All the mods on the car are cosmetic. No motor/drivetrain mods have been done. I do have an extra spare tire cover unit. I don't know why I have two. If anyone needs one let me know.
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Those time bombs on your wheels should be replaced before anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To Side exhaust rattle fix

Quick Reply: Side exhaust rattle fix