Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel
...I’ve come under fire here for some of my opinions on custom Corvettes, but I simply won't back down on my views with this one...
Okay.

Feel better now?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
To me, it's extremely rare to see a customized C3 that looks nice. I guess I'm kinda fussy. I'm not too excited by the Motion Performance body modifications either.

I did see a custom made C2 body fitted onto a C5. That looked really great. From a distance, it looked like a 62. Only close up, you could see it was wider than a real 62 and the interior had a C5 pedigree. Really well done. All the bumpers and all looked like a C2. This was a custom car that I really liked.

I may well be looking at a customized hood for my 70 project...with a BB engine it doesn't take much of engine modifications to run out of room under the BB hood...even with the L88 hood. An acquaintance needed some extra hood room to clear his slightly elevated carb which produced some good dyno results for his 1962 BB Coupe. However, his custom elevated hood looks...to me...to be ugly. My hope is to modify a L88 hood in such a way that most people won't know the difference..hope I'm not forced into the ugly appearance.

My highly modified 68 SB Convertible, looks externally stock except for the 69 factory sidepipe exhaust system and the 17 inch rally look alike wheels. From about 15 feet away, the wheels looked stock to my Corvette body shop manager!!! . The interior is completely stock except for the 69 seat head rests and shoulder belt retainer clips on the seat backs. Very few people would know it's not 68 stock. Mechanically it's highly modified.
35 or so years ago for me the more radical the better, but radical doesn't mean hack job,
I built a camaro that was as big a mess lol as the corvette summer car was to vettes, but at the time it was fun and sold high $$$,

As time passes and I see things other people built my tastes changed in some ways,
Now I want my 69 to be flared for wide wheels and tires for a road race look, but I really have been drifting away from running the mako front clip and running a stock 68-69 front clip, well like your wells it might look stock but it will still tilt, like the mako clip,
I too have seen some hood scoop make a car and some break them over on my custom thread,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588086886

Is the black custom that has a pretty sweet hood scoop, look good on it...
Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

besides the stripes it's really not THAT bad
Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 AM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Besides some people don't know how to read posts and go under assumptions when they post. While continually bashing the car which is starting to get funny with the copy/paste posts, I don't see you saying anything on other corvettes that don't even look like a corvette anymore. Now let me go under assumptions the only reason you are continually bashing it is because someone on a forum happen to purchase it this way and failed at doing stripes on a unusual colored paint job

Personally the car posted below I don't like but im not going around every post I see and saying its a pos but you seem to like it since your not doing that with this one.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-hack-job.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4701423472.html

Now under the assumption part your answer will be copy/paste no it's not a hack job but rather a well built rebody lmao that's a modified c3 corvette. I am not even going to bother posting anymore on this subject as its stupid theres no right or wrong, you either like it or you don't simple
Originally Posted by The13Bats

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ist-jewel.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-orginal.html

pseudo

Detroit Steel
I am all confused you are the corvetteforum editor have less than 200 posts and are Detroit "Steel" not Detroit fiberglass, Okay, just having some fun with you,

surprised you didn't know this car has been posted a time or two and the owner is a member.

I love custom and restro mods, from mild to wild I find bone stock about as exciting as paint drying, & I respect everyones taste ( or lack there of ) however, I can be about as smooth as shark skin on 80 grit.

I reserve my bashing of customs to hack jobs,
And this poor truck bed vette IS a hack job, the poor thing was hurt not helped with the paint job and cockeyed stripes,
The right thing would be hide it while you install a new rear clip, it is after all a old vette.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:41 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by brick1234
Besides some people don't know how to read posts and go under assumptions when they post. While continually bashing the car which is starting to get funny with the copy/paste posts, I don't see you saying anything on other corvettes that don't even look like a corvette anymore. Now let me go under assumptions the only reason you are continually bashing it is because someone on a forum happen to purchase it this way and failed at doing stripes on a unusual colored paint job

Personally the car posted below I don't like but im not going around every post I see and saying its a pos but you seem to like it since your not doing that with this one.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-hack-job.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4701423472.html

Now under the assumption part your answer will be copy/paste no it's not a hack job but rather a well built rebody lmao that's a modified c3 corvette. I am not even going to bother posting anymore on this subject as its stupid theres no right or wrong, you either like it or you don't simple

brick1234
I think you are missing the fact the editor of corvetteforum posted this thread bashing your car, poor taste ? I think so.
When I first came to this forum over 10 years ago the mere mention of "custom" was blasphemy, but as time passed people started doing things like restro rods and even most purists do not really want to drive much on skinny bias ply tires....purists will do things like add the wrong hood just because they like it...nothing wrong with that.
You are making it sound like I alone am saying disparaging things about your truck bed vette, That is NOT the case and you have taken such a beating that I do want to at least explain myself,
I have been building customs of all kinds for over 35 years some turned out better than others, I have been told a hell of a worse about some of my builds than what is being said about your truck vette, wait til you hear what they say about my steering wheel...
I did say your stripes are **** eyed, they look like they are and the truck bed mod does look hack job to me, BUT the rest of the car looks okay, I have no problem with twin turbo hoods or recessed headlights but after 35 years I have gotten bored with them,
I think your truck vette could be sweet if someone tried to work it out.

The weird neo retro white vette you linked to, I do/did like it, in black, and fix the stupid fake side pipes and most of that type re-body do end up in disrepair but were built good to start with, I do like Zimmers.

If it makes you feel better look at my engine, it's a total hack job pile of puke, BUT I know that I can make it look sweet.

And lastly take a look at this meme, that is some inbred slack jawed yocal speaking crappy grammar making fun of a custom, get it?
I do have an odd sense of humor...

Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats

I like this meme with Cletus.
I think sometimes people think that this is real life and not a forum or online. There is also freedom of speech. Not everyone is out there with a mean face almost breaking there keyboard typing and I believe sometimes whats meant to be a joke is taken out of context or people only read what they want to and fire back like whoa, Its not even like that. Customs good and bad have been around forever and some ugly ones got famous for it you think the bat mobile would be awesome if it wasn't THE Batmobile. Some things should never be done to cars but there is always that person that says im a do it watch. but at the end if you like your car and happy with it why would you be bothered by it. My taste my style is not everybodies cup of tea but I wouldn't give 2 ****s what any body says about my car because I know when im done my p**** of sh** bucket will be the baddest vette around....Or at least in my block. And cabilista is pretty dope IMO I would never buy 1 or drive it but it is a snooty vette but cool.

Quick Reply: eBay Corvette find should be covered up forever