Sponsored by:

Need VIN Tag Rivet photo

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:22 AM
SteveCurry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need VIN Tag Rivet photo

Could someone post a photo of your original windshield pillar VIN tag rivet? I don't need the whole VIN tag if you're nervous about that sort of thing, but I'd like to see what the original rivets looked like since I think the windshield part of my birdcage was replace and the VIN reattached with normal rivets.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Ryan69Vette
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SteveCurry
Could someone post a photo of your original windshield pillar VIN tag rivet? I don't need the whole VIN tag if you're nervous about that sort of thing, but I'd like to see what the original rivets looked like since I think the windshield part of my birdcage was replace and the VIN reattached with normal rivets.

Thanks!
It's the best I could do. Hope it helps. They look like a star or gear.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I have been on forums where this subject is taboo and the threads get killed but I would really love to know what the ncrs fellows do to replace the vin tag rivets when everything I have read says you simply can't tamper with them, and round wrong rivets might get a car impounded...

Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I have been on forums where this subject is taboo and the threads get killed but I would really love to know what the ncrs fellows do to replace the vin tag rivets when everything I have read says you simply can't tamper with them, and round wrong rivets might get a car impounded...
Again with the misinformation.............
Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 AM
SteveCurry
Racer

Thanks guys!! Much appreciated!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

"I have been on forums where this subject is taboo and the threads get killed but I would really love to know what the ncrs fellows do to replace the vin tag rivets when everything I have read says you simply can't tamper with them, and round wrong rivets might get a car impounded"

Originally Posted by Mike Ward

If you have something helpful to add please do but to just say I posted misinfomation doesn't help.
I didn't say anything I posted was fact, I posted it in a questioning way.
I have read all that I posted above on forums some of it even right here, it's all over Google.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by The13Bats
If you have something helpful to add please do but to just say I posted misinfomation doesn't help.
I didn't say anything I posted was fact, I posted it in a questioning way.
I have read all that I posted above on forums some of it even right here, it's all over Google.
If you have only half truths, rumours and speculation to post, don't post it. Pretty simple.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:20 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

If you have only half truths, rumours and speculation to post, don't post it. Pretty simple.
So all you have to add is scolding me, you no information on the subject?
Hope you feel better about it now....

Last edited by The13Bats; 10-21-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCurry

Thanks!
I have my windshield out so can get a good picture of it... Check back in a hour or so

Tim
Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Exactly what is he misinforming us about?

Bats, The NCRS guys have sources for the original style rivets. I've seen them on ebay on occasion years ago.....

The wrong rivets can lead to trouble!

WB

Here's one for you Mike, Were they originally painted or unpainted?

Last edited by Don Rickles; 10-21-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
I have my windshield out so can get a good picture of it... Check back in a hour or so

Tim

Old 10-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by War Bonnet

Bats, The NCRS guys have sources for the original style rivets. I've seen them on ebay on occasion years ago.....

The wrong rivets can lead to trouble!

WB

Here's one for you Mike, Were they originally painted or unpainted?
When I removed my windshield my vin plate was not painted but was covered in a light rust. I cleaned it up and painted it..
Old 10-21-2014, 02:18 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
When I removed my windshield my vin plate was not painted but was covered in a light rust. I cleaned it up and painted it..
Mine has that patina of rust and I want to clean it but look at the car look at me , we get enough attention already...
Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
His post can be taken to mean that the NCRS could cause a car to be impounded. 'NCRS' doesn't have a policy or process for replacing rivets, they're not the police. Each state/province has it's own laws WRT tampering with VIN plates and a process to reattach or replace one.

If 'NCRS' is now being used as a generic term to mean 'a person who restores a car to factory original', there's no difference I know of that gives a resto mod or custom any special exemptions.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

His post can be taken to mean that the NCRS could cause a car to be impounded. 'NCRS' doesn't have a policy or process for replacing rivets, they're not the police. Each state/province has it's own laws WRT tampering with VIN plates and a process to reattach or replace one.

If 'NCRS' is now being used as a generic term to mean 'a person who restores a car to factory original', there's no difference I know of that gives a resto mod or custom any special exemptions.
That reminds me of when I was building my 37 Dodge PU, the sheriff came out to inspect the vehicle to get the first title, They used the wrong number and used the cab # not the vin, I took to Vin plate and cab plate off and went to the DMV to get the correct vin on the title with some explanation of the Dodge vin in 1937. They went nuts... told me I could not do that.... I showed them the 4 screws that hold them on....
Old 10-21-2014, 02:36 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

His post can be taken to mean that the NCRS could cause a car to be impounded. 'NCRS' doesn't have a policy or process for replacing rivets, they're not the police. ...
That's an absurd interpretation of the question, Mike. Reading it as it was written can lead you only to nothing more than a question on what does someone doing an authentic restoration do in this situation. NCRS is being used more of a noun these days to mean a very high presentation standard, not a reference to the institution itself.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by gerry72
...NCRS is being used more of a noun these days to mean a very high presentation standard, not a reference to the institution itself...
Explain to me how NCRS can be used and not reference the organization? It is an acronym, not a noun.

Get notified of new replies

To Need VIN Tag Rivet photo

Old 10-21-2014, 03:08 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Explain to me how NCRS can be used and not reference the organization? It is an acronym, not a noun.
Actually, it's not an acronym. An acronym can be pronounced, like NATO. It is an abbreviation if it can't be pronounced. I don't know what I can explain to you that would clear the blockage. Think about how we use the words Xerox, diesel, and Kleenex. If he had written "The NCRS" that would be different and would be referring to the institution. This is not even worth further commentary and not something I and likely nearly everyone else on this forum will get wrapped around the axle over so write what you wish in response.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi WB,
As usual my knowledge/opinion is based on one car.
71 6589 had/has unpainted rivets, and a vin plate with a dark, very thin, 'finish' on it.
The 'finish' appears to have been on the plate before the imprint was done because where the numbers 'bulged' and stretched the metal the finish is lighter in color. You can see that in the picture.
The next time I restore the car I'll take a picture of the area UNDER the plate. I'm betting it'll be black under there; not green!
Note that this car didn't have a leaky windshield, so the plate and rivets maintained their original finishes quite well. Look how 'brite' the rivets are.
What thinks you?
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-21-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by gerry72
That's an absurd interpretation of the question, Mike. Reading it as it was written can lead you only to nothing more than a question on what does someone doing an authentic restoration do in this situation. NCRS is being used more of a noun these days to mean a very high presentation standard, not a reference to the institution itself.
So what then is the relevance of mentioning NCRS in the post since ALL cars must have a legal VIN tag of some sort?

Quick Reply: Need VIN Tag Rivet photo