C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone start their car occasionally during winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
Lars rebuilt it, so Im guessing he used a Viton pump. I started to run ethanol free fuel halfway thru the season, so Im hoping that will help my long term storage as well.

Hey Tim from Texas.....Its not uncommon for us to average over 115 inches of snow a year. I want you to stand up, put your arms above your head and jump as high as you can and touch a wall.....we get more snow than that. We usually have about 2-3 feet on the ground at any given time, and get a few inches every day. Its very depressing. You know life sucks when you have to shovel a path for the dog to go outside to pee, and the snow is deeper than the dog....
I can remember what its like to live in the snow.. But when I retired from the Military I chose to live in the south where we do Not get much snow.. Was 81 this afternoon a great day for driving. Took my street rod out for a spin...
Old 10-22-2014, 05:48 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I still have yet to settle mine in for the winter, been raining every few days and I am parked in the back yard. Grass has been too wet to take it out. But my plans this coming dry weekend, I will take it out, add a can of gas stuff and fill her up. I will then park her in the garage/shed, cover her up, and will not drive her again. I do plan on changing the intake manifold this winter from the stock one to an edlebrock performer I picked up. Thats about it.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:10 AM
John485garage
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never had a problem over the winter with my Q-jet. I use the blue color Stabil with a full tank of 91 octane gas. Blue Stabil is designed for long storage and you don't need to use the whole bottle. I run my car a few miles before she is put away for the winter!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,552 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I fill the gas tanks and change the oil before the winter. No stabil. I don't start them unless I am going to take a good long drive. I can usually find a day or 2 in the winter when the roads are clear and dry.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:58 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I run the red stabil through mine as well. Or an OMC outboard motor product called "2+4". I used to be able to get it in bulk (for cheap), but my source died (literally).

Isn't blue stabil designed for 2 stroke motors? Wont separate the oil and gas as easy, so I'm told. I use it in my chain saw gas year round. couple gallons lasts me a couple years.

Dont forget to check the coolant concentration level. DOnt want to freeze and bust a block! (now if jinxed myself, just watch.... ......not that a new motor wouldn't be a bad thing, just expensive).

I put a pair of locking needle nose pliers on the fuel line and run the carb dry. Don't know if its needed, but in 9 winters of storing this car I've never had a q-jet related issue due to storage. This summer I put a quick-Fuel carb on it. Going to do the same thing, pinch off the fuel line and run it dry.

Still sunny and above zero*C here. Likely my last drive will be saturday or sunday this weekend.

dodosmike

Last edited by Dodosmike; 10-22-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:40 AM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it's wise to store the car with ethanol free gasoline. There is some evidence that it settles out and attracts water. I had my tank rust from the inside out probably from this issue, also you pick up pure ethanol when you first start in the season and it causes issues. I would think that starting the engine once in a while through the winter will just leave ethanol concentrated fuel the lines to sit, very corrosive.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Please no, not another Satan Ethanol thread.................
Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
i lurked in the last one a bit......can you post your gas cap?

Im going to do an experiment this winter. 3 grades of gas, equal amounts, sealed plastic container. Which has more "water" in it. Water in gas freezes in my location over winter. should be interesting.

dodosmike
Old 10-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
i lurked in the last one a bit......can you post your gas cap?
No, YOU post YOUR gas cap!
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I put my 1974 in climate-controlled commercial storage this morning. Yes, I dropped in a bottle of Stabil and filled with 91 octane. I have never had any problems over the years with that routine. Storage is "dead" so no start until April 2015. Those six months without turning the ignition key has never presented an issue in the past years.

I must say that 2014 passed very quickly! This pic was taken at a show in early May. Seems like yesterday....

Last edited by Paul L; 10-22-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

I like the idea of pinching off the gas line and running the carb dry. Ive always run my motorcycle carbs dry and have NEVER had a carb or fuel related issue.

Assuming I just pinch the hose, how long should it take to empty the float bowl at an idle?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
It will be much quicker if you would just acknowledge my superior knowledge and expertise. My chemistry background and experience of making biodiesel give me the credibility to comment on the topic. There is a time to be humble, but now is not that time...
Adding ethanol to gasoline is a stupid political ploy to enrich the crooks that take advantage of ignorant do gooders.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Jaydeedubya
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in Texas I guess we dont have a 'off season'. No storage here at my place. I bought it to drive it! And thank God we have very few days during the winter that I'd hesitate to go for a drive. I'm sure we will be going to Dairy Queen 2-3 times a week for our little cruise.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jaydeedubya
Living in Texas I guess we dont have a 'off season'. No storage here at my place. I bought it to drive it! And thank God we have very few days during the winter that I'd hesitate to go for a drive. I'm sure we will be going to Dairy Queen 2-3 times a week for our little cruise.
Must be nice....

Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
stingray_son
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In southern California it feels like we haven't had a winter in two years! Just a few (and far between) rainy days!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stingray_son
In southern California it feels like we haven't had a winter in two years! Just a few (and far between) rainy days!
My pic may indicate why the Corvette is put away in winter. My DD Cruze is in the garage. Southern CA is just a dream for me. Someday perhaps the Wife and I will make a visit. But Florida is the destination for November.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray_son
I grew up in Northern CA (Bay Area) I had no idea what winter was until I went in the Military.

What a smack in the face that was. Kentucky in Dec was my first experience with snow. A month later I was in Germany in Jan.

Quick Reply: Does anyone start their car occasionally during winter storage?