Sponsored by:

69 nuts and bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 69 nuts and bolts

I was curious, are all nuts and bolts for 1969 the same for say a Corvette and a C-10? Or any model? Obviously salvage yards generally don't have Corvettes but they may have a 69 pickup. If lets say I needed a starter bolt, would it be the same in a 69 C-10 327 as a Corvette 69 327? This is just an example.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

many are the same some are special...but really special to purists not modders.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesfreetime
I was curious, are all nuts and bolts for 1969 the same for say a Corvette and a C-10? Or any model? Obviously salvage yards generally don't have Corvettes but they may have a 69 pickup. If lets say I needed a starter bolt, would it be the same in a 69 C-10 327 as a Corvette 69 327? This is just an example.
Keep in mind that the engines were built in several different plants, so it should not be expected that the bolts would always be identical. The vehicles were built in many different plants so again, there's no guarantees.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:34 PM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My car is a 69 and I have found a lot of correctly marked bolts and some other parts such as the heater fan and even original T3 headlights on a 72 3/4 ton GMC that is rotting behind my barn. So I would say yes although the 69 327 Corvette may be a bit trickier lol J/K.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by 69L46vert
My car is a 69 and I have found a lot of correctly marked bolts and some other parts such as the heater fan and even original T3 headlights on a 72 3/4 ton GMC that is rotting behind my barn. So I would say yes although the 69 327 Corvette may be a bit trickier lol J/K.
The 327 part was just an example. Actually I just noticed a local junk yard put out a 69 C-10 and was thinking about hitting it up for various bolts, screws, clips, or whatever just to have on hand for my 69 Vette
Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Virtually any type of fastener on your 69 could be GM generic. When you consider how many vehicles a day GM turned out and how many nuts and bolts they needed to order for all GM makes, it becomes mind boggling.

Pricey, but the Corvette Parts & Illustration Catalog lists bolt and screw sizes for quite a lot of fasteners. You can get these in hard copy paper or on CD.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 PM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesfreetime
The 327 part was just an example. Actually I just noticed a local junk yard put out a 69 C-10 and was thinking about hitting it up for various bolts, screws, clips, or whatever just to have on hand for my 69 Vette
One thing I got from the old truck that I needed was a set of intake manifold bolts. The right head markings on them. Also a water pump stud. Just the few things I've taken from it must have added up to 1 or 2 hundred $. Those t3 headlights are 50 each maybe more now.

When I was a teenager we used to take a lot of GM body bolts when we junked a car. Air ratchet a lot of them out, throw them in a bucket and use them later when repairing crashed cars. They were special bolts having an unthreaded lead on the end making them easy to start. Not many of those on the C3' though.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by 69L46vert
One thing I got from the old truck that I needed was a set of intake manifold bolts. The right head markings on them. Also a water pump stud. Just the few things I've taken from it must have added up to 1 or 2 hundred $. Those t3 headlights are 50 each maybe more now.

When I was a teenager we used to take a lot of GM body bolts when we junked a car. Air ratchet a lot of them out, throw them in a bucket and use them later when repairing crashed cars. They were special bolts having an unthreaded lead on the end making them easy to start. Not many of those on the C3' though.
Well that's kind of what I was thinking, just going down there and hitting the truck up for various bolts, nuts, fasteners, washers, or whatever strikes my eye. Until you start buying this little stuff you don't appreciate the charges that are ridiculous.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mft,
If you look at a couple of the popular Camaro and Chevelle sites you'll see that often people there are looking for the same bolts and head marks as Corvette restorers are.
Also, the large Camaro and Chevelle suppliers have many of the same fasteners and other small items that were used on many GM cars.
So I'd say a junk yard might be a source, but you'd have to judge each fastener individually to ensure it'll do the job on your Corvette.
Regards,
Alan

A friend gave me a list of GM fastener suppliers that he developed, and there are over 150 companies on it.
Just in the year I'm interested in, 1971, there were almost 50 suppliers for fasteners used on Corvettes.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi mft,
If you look at a couple of the popular Camaro and Chevelle sites you'll see that often people there are looking for the same bolts and head marks as Corvette restorers are.
Also, the large Camaro and Chevelle suppliers have many of the same fasteners and other small items that were used on many GM cars.
So I'd say a junk yard might be a source, but you'd have to judge each fastener individually to ensure it'll do the job on your Corvette.
Regards,
Alan

A friend gave me a list of GM fastener suppliers that he developed, and there are over 150 companies on it.
Just in the year I'm interested in, 1971, there were almost 50 suppliers for fasteners used on Corvettes.
Wow, that many. Its funny I was looking on EBAY just for something to do. The amount of postings for 69 Corvette bolts, etc. is insane. And truth be known they could be off almost any 69 car made but they can be listed and therefore people will buy them. I work 1/2 day today so I'm going to look this 69 C-10 over just to see what parts are available on it. Mustangs are the same way, motor brackets on every model are numbered and cross over to the Mustang. People sell them for OEM Mustang Mach I parts. Crazy

Get notified of new replies

To 69 nuts and bolts

Quick Reply: 69 nuts and bolts