Sponsored by:

1 week before i put her up for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:26 PM
chrisNY
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1 week before i put her up for the winter

I was driving home from work on the highway, planning the rear end rebuild to stop the weeping on the rear diff, and herd a crack, thought a brake pad cracked, next thing I knew, my rear passengers side wheel was rolling by me, lost control of the car, got her to the shoulder to see what happened and it was horrible

tore off the passenger side quarter panel

the spindle itself broke

saved some of my quarter

my biggest problem is why did it break, do I just replace the spindle on the passenger side?? is the drivers side going to go too anytime?? should I replace the whole trailing arm assemble at a grand a side?? just to be sure, from what I have seen its a big job with tools I don't have and plan on investing in for a one time job. any suggestions? words advice, would be greatfully appreciated. more pics to come as I get her moved in the garage to see what really happened.

one good thing I didn't rebuild everything else like I was planning and then next spring have this happen, kinda good it happened now I guess, but just broke my heart when I saw the rear wheel go flying by on the highway
Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 AM
CVO2FIXUP
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I hope there is a real good explanation to what happened. This type of thing gives me nightmares. That's all in am going to see now when I am driving my Ray, the rear wheel passing me. Or the brand new tire blowing up and taking half the car with it.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:55 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Ouch!!!Shop all vendors for best price. I'm sure other members will chime in on their TA purchases. Yes the other side will need rebuilding for trouble free service. The bearings should be serviced at a regular interval. 30 to 40k, fronts also @20k or less. Also in NY I'm sure there are shops that can rebuild your TAs. T
Old 10-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just one more chalk up for " weird things just happen this time in October" 3rd week in October for me should be the time to put it away, although I'm hoping for a last hoorah this weekend with nice temps. ( fingers crossed ) Good thing you weren't hurt, these cars are old and another good reason for not driving ours it like I stole it lol.

That would have crushed me for sure, good luck with your rebuild.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:47 AM
chrisNY
Racer

thanks, I haven't found any local shops that want to rebuild them, does anyone know what it takes to get the spindles back in, I always do all my own work anyway and don't mind doing it, but not sure of I would need. and thank goodness no one was hurt, even the rear wheel rolling down the highway didn't cause any problems, it road the divider for about 200 feet until it stopped, and didn't even fall into traffic
Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Really stinks to see damage to your car. In all honesty, it could have been a lot worse...had all the mangled fiberglass torn up and getting into the rear window and such. Looks like a fairly clean seam pop.

To the positive, it looks like a GREAT time to start a rear end rebuild project!

Personally, I would tackle the mate to this part on the other side. No question. No reason to replace the trailing arm if its in good shape...just rebuild everything. Bearings, bushings, etc.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I broke my pass spindle it was out closer to the lugs. I was pulling out of a store when I also heard a loud crack and the cars rear end dropped. Flashers on, get out to take a look and the only thing holding the wheel on was the rotor that got wedged in the brake caliper. Got real lucky that my friend was going by in his rollback. We put a 2 ton jack under the shock mount got it winched up onto his truck and back to his shop.
Got really lucky that there wasn't any body damage because of that caliper which now is drained,cleaned and has a place of honor on the work bench.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM
chrisNY
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft
When I broke my pass spindle it was out closer to the lugs. I was pulling out of a store when I also heard a loud crack and the cars rear end dropped. Flashers on, get out to take a look and the only thing holding the wheel on was the rotor that got wedged in the brake caliper. Got real lucky that my friend was going by in his rollback. We put a 2 ton jack under the shock mount got it winched up onto his truck and back to his shop.
Got really lucky that there wasn't any body damage because of that caliper which now is drained,cleaned and has a place of honor on the work bench.
did you replace both sides? new TA assemble or just replace the spindles, bearings, shims, etc?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Without a doubt the other side needs rebuilding. I always recommend rebuilding if it's been more than about 30K miles or the owner 'just doesn't know' since the last time.

This is not a simple do it yourself job like front wheels bearings. Unless you're going to buy the disassemby, measuring and reassembly tools, farm it out.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:09 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Wow. As much as that truly does suck, I think I would try to dwell on now friggin lucky you are that you got out of it as well as you did.
Having said that, sorry about the damage. At least you have all winter to sort it out.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:31 PM
chrisNY
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Without a doubt the other side needs rebuilding. I always recommend rebuilding if it's been more than about 30K miles or the owner 'just doesn't know' since the last time.

This is not a simple do it yourself job like front wheels bearings. Unless you're going to buy the disassemby, measuring and reassembly tools, farm it out.
I don't plan on investing in all the specialty tools to do it, but I don't know where to start to find a shop to do it, or just bite the bullet and get the new assembly
Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisNY
I don't plan on investing in all the specialty tools to do it, but I don't know where to start to find a shop to do it, or just bite the bullet and get the new assembly
If there's no one local to do the repair you can always pull both trailing arms and send them out to be rebuilt.

Bairs, Vette Brakes along with a bunch of other places offer this service. I did mine myself with borrowed tools, but I've heard nothing but good comments about Bairs work.

Good luck

Jim
Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

First - sorry about the damage to your car! I would be mortified!!!!!

I would suggest you get BOTH trailing arms rebuilt. I am north of Philly and use Bair's Corvette in western PA!!! They have great service and are great people to work with. Call them and they will send you shipping boxes for your trailing arms!

John
Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Z06FEVER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe what I am seeing!! I am sorry to hear about the damage of your car, this is terrible!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:58 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Z06FEVER
I can't believe what I am seeing!! I am sorry to hear about the damage of your car, this is terrible!!!

At about $1000-$1200 a side for me to replace those TA's, plus another $1000-$1500 to redo the differential while in there.......never mind the bodywork.......I might have just lit a match and walked away. Good luck over the winter, you'll be busy.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go
First - sorry about the damage to your car! I would be mortified!!!!!

I would suggest you get BOTH trailing arms rebuilt. I am north of Philly and use Bair's Corvette in western PA!!! They have great service and are great people to work with. Call them and they will send you shipping boxes for your trailing arms!

John

Or..........do it yourself if you have good mechanical abilities and a long weekend.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,072 Likes on 644 Posts

I love these cars. My favorite Vettes. That said these cars are maturing and all of them should have these changed out. Metal fatigues with time and use. This is the result. I have seen this type of failure many times as track use accelerates the rate of fatigue to failure. Glad you are ok.

Get notified of new replies

To 1 week before i put her up for the winter

Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 PM
chrisNY
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner

Or..........do it yourself if you have good mechanical abilities and a long weekend.
I am going to do everything myself that I can, the body work, paint, which I will think about after, but I am confident on that side, know a great body shop that will match the paint, and will fix, prep and paint it myself. the TA's is what's worrying me, was planning on redoing the diff seals, u joints, and tranny tail seal anyway, now I am going to do both rear calipers, because one is still on my passenger wheel lol, and it broke the cast when it tore off, rear hard lines, and rubber ones, TA bushings, blast and repaint those, I think I will order the rear spindle assembly complete with the e brakes, but no rotor, just not sure what kinda core charge I will get back with the broke spindle but we will see, and the list will go on and on. but in the end there wont be anything left on the rear that wont be new, total cost I don't even want to think about, but its not about how much money I put in her, I will most likely never sell her, so might as well do it right and feel safe

Last edited by chrisNY; 10-24-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 PM
chrisNY
Racer

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I love these cars. My favorite Vettes. That said these cars are maturing and all of them should have these changed out. Metal fatigues with time and use. This is the result. I have seen this type of failure many times as track use accelerates the rate of fatigue to failure. Glad you are ok.
that's the main thing no one got hurt, and it was a eye opener that's for sure, I have looked at the spindle where it broke, and almost looks like a dark spot in the steal where it snapped, thinking that it was a weak spot in it, but better it happened now than after I rebuilt the rest of the batwing assembly and than have the spindle snap
Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft
Got real lucky that my friend was going by in his rollback. We put a 2 ton jack under the shock mount got it winched up onto his truck and back to his shop.
Doug,

You are obviously a God fearing, church going Christian.

Steve

Quick Reply: 1 week before i put her up for the winter