Sponsored by:

Wire Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 PM
8T_BlackBeauty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire Harness

I'm looking at redoing the wiring for my 1980. I see Willcox has a "front lamp" harness (w/ and w/o stero). I also see a few other places with a "Dash main wire harness." I have a short somewhere in the bubba rat's nest that is my current wiring. The windows work and the tach and speedo work, as do the lights in the dash and gauges. Other than that I don't have much working electric. The question is do I go with the front lamps harness or the main harness? Does the front lamps only come with the connections for the gauge cluster (or is that to the head lamps)? Would the main encompass basically everything under the dash and inside the "cab" of the car? I'm in the process of pulling the carpet and doing an interior restore, so I should have access to everything anyway. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:18 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

At first glance I misread the title. I thought it said "wife harness". That would have been an amusing thread.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:37 PM
8T_BlackBeauty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
At first glance I misread the title. I thought it said "wife harness". That would have been an amusing thread.
Ha yes it would. If you come across one and live to tell about it...let me know
Old 10-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Forward Lamp is the harness from the firewall connector under the hood, out along the left fender skirt, and on out to the headlights.

Engine harness is the second half of the underhood wiring.

Main Dash harness includes everything inside the car and the fuse box.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

re-doing the harnesses in the 70/ Just bought a 70 interior firewall harness from lectriclimited ($512) and spent the afternoon identifying most of the connectors with Dr Rebuilt color photo schematic. The 70 interior harness had been buggered by bubba, mainly to install a custom sound system. If my project 70 ever hits the road, I won't have to worry about having a custom sound system......there's no way it'd be heard.

My 68 has all new harnesses from lectriclimited for everything front of the engine firewall and also the harnesses to the rear tail light. Didn't replace the interior dash/firewall harness on the 68 since it was in good condition.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM
8T_BlackBeauty
Intermediate

Thanks easy Mike and 68/70. That gives me exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I should just go with the Main Dash harness since I don't want to be chasing demons forever and the whole thing is going to be exposed anyway. Hopefully it'll fix it all at once...
Old 10-27-2014, 03:05 PM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8T_BlackBeauty
Thanks easy Mike and 68/70. That gives me exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I should just go with the Main Dash harness since I don't want to be chasing demons forever and the whole thing is going to be exposed anyway. Hopefully it'll fix it all at once...
It wouldn't hurt to peel some tape off the engine harness of your car and take a look at it, too. Always good to do on older cars. Mine was downright scary!

Get notified of new replies

To Wire Harness

Quick Reply: Wire Harness