Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripping side eggcrates on a 72

Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Stripping side eggcrates on a 72

I'm back on working on my 72 rebuild. Frame is done, engine is at the machine shop.
I already have the body stripped down to the glass. It had 2-3 coats of paint with the middle layer blistering. I'm looking to strip the paint off the side eggcrates. What is the easy way? The chrome on them are still good, just need to get the paint off. Sanding through 3 layers looks to be too much of a pain in the azz: ack:. Don't really light the idea of paint stripper. I was thinking about beadblasting.

So what's the way for those who have done it?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2014, 12:12 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

What is the problem with stripper? I used a spray-on stripper for my interior parts. Layers of black paint came off with some paper towels. Cleaned it up with some acetone. Done deal. Clean as a whistle.

Beadblasting will 'soften' the corners of the part. It will never be the same.

If you are hellbent on blasting, I'd only use walnut shells. That's the only thing that wouldn't erode or deform the surface of the part.

But honestly...I'd just strip it. It is easiest and it does the job the best.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by keithinspace
What is the problem with stripper? I used a spray-on stripper for my interior parts. Layers of black paint came off with some paper towels. Cleaned it up with some acetone. Done deal. Clean as a whistle.

Beadblasting will 'soften' the corners of the part. It will never be the same.

If you are hellbent on blasting, I'd only use walnut shells. That's the only thing that wouldn't erode or deform the surface of the part.

But honestly...I'd just strip it. It is easiest and it does the job the best.

I was worried about not getting all the paint stripping off and having it absorbed into the metal causing paint problems down the road. Thanks
Old 10-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi crf,
I really don't think you want to use anything abrasive on the grills.
The entire grill is chrome plated even though just the raised egg crate edges are exposed.
If the surface that's painted is degraded in ANY way it becomes obvious in the finished paint.
I'd use a liquid or gel paint remover and a firm brush like a tooth brush to work the paint off.
You then have to be meticulous about removing all traces of the remover which is time consuming, but certainly doable.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I agree with Mr. Alan71 as well as your concern about getting it all off. That is what the Acetone is for. You may even paint it and find out you didn't get all the stripper off from the farthest depths of the cracks...acetone in a disposable spray bottle allows you to really shoot it in there and get all the bits out.

As far as it being "absorbed" into the metal, I don't believe that is a valid concern. The damage caused by any type of abrasive paint removal would be far greater than any extremely small risk that stripper would get held up in a casting crack or some other detail of the part.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I used stripper on mine, no problems with paint adhering to it. Masking them off for paint was the pita.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:01 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys.
Robert
Old 10-28-2014, 04:14 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

They're chromed all over (not just the ribs). Nothing will be absorbed. Just be sure to clean it well. Paint stripper is neutralized by water, so a good wash is the first step. Then you can use lacquer thinner to get it absolutely clean.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not that it matters.

I have chemically stripped numerous egg-crates and have had NO problems. The chemical will not absorb into chrome. I neutralize them with lacquer thinner. I also apply a tape on the chrome edge that is not to be painted and I put them in my bast cabinet and blast them with my aluminum oxide...and I have NEVER had any problems. I am NOT basting off the chrome either...juts getting it dull and holding my blasting gun at a distance to do so. NO WARPING or any issues. Then I apply them with a special primer that I still have that I can not get any longer that is made to stick to stainless steel and chrome. NO paint delaminations or anything.

DUB
Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

A final small note. The egg crates are not pot metal. They are an aluminum alloy. Rechroming them requires a shop that can chrome plate aluminum.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Pray you dont run out of that primer DUB
As stuck as that original black primer was to get off even with stripper, is blasting even necessary? Im thinking of a primer coat of SPI epoxy primer, then final coat.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Use chemical stripper.....remove all the paint to bare chrome, then while your wife is out of town on a business trip.....put them into the dishwasher to make sure they are neutralized....my method....hope she doesn't read this!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:41 AM
hammadown
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I stripped mine with air craft stripper...... it was messy

Hammadown
Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Do as Hamadown, but get the jumbo size turkey pans at the food store. They fit the egg crates perfectly for soaking. Cover with aluminium foil to prevent evaporation of the solvents.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:24 PM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

question:

do the 70-72 egg crates all come with painted portions? or were some
all chrome?

I'm contemplating going all chrome for a 72 I'm working on

thanks
Gary
Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Pray you dont run out of that primer DUB
As stuck as that original black primer was to get off even with stripper, is blasting even necessary? Im thinking of a primer coat of SPI epoxy primer, then final coat.
YEAH...I really am careful on how much I mix so I do not waste a drop.

I blast the stainless trim and the egg crates so give my primer something good to bite to. I can not do it twice...and have tested this procedure and I KNOW it sticks really good.

If you are going to prime it with SPI or any pother brand like PPG epoxy...I would have them blasted. Just my view on that.

Originally Posted by garyguinn
question:

do the 70-72 egg crates all come with painted portions? or were some
all chrome?

I'm contemplating going all chrome for a 72 I'm working on

thanks
Gary
They were all painted...expect for that this raised strip where the chrome is exposed.

I have seen the egg crates all chrome. I myself ..do not like it. They look out of place and takes away form the side view of the car. I have seen them painted black also on a car that is not black...and I am mixed on how that looks. For what that is worth.

AS FOR getting the chemical stripper off. I use automotive grade lacquer thinner. Using a piece of rough steel wool or red scotch-brite pad with the thinner will also aid in getting some of the paint and primer that is still stuck on there off easier. Back in the past...when I did use water...it turned the stripper into something that looked like stringy snot. Then I eventually realized that I needed to use lacquer thinner to get the stripper out on 'nooks and crannies' fast......and lacquer thinner thins it out and liquefies it much better. NEVER had any problem with the Aircraft stripper coming back on any part it was used on and causing a paint defect.....EVER! Just my take on this.

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Do as Hamadown, but get the jumbo size turkey pans at the food store. They fit the egg crates perfectly for soaking. Cover with aluminium foil to prevent evaporation of the solvents.
jnb51501 is TOTALLY CORRECT on this. When stripping METAL PARTS...bagging them up with plastic or aluminum foil aids in the stripper doing a better job...which also depends on how much stripper you applied, type of paint you are stripping, number of coats that are on the part being stripped, air temperature/humidity at the time of application.

ALWAYS keep an eye on anything you are stripping. ASSUME NOTHING!!!!

DUB
Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

A quick egg crate side story. As you may or may not know that the egg crates for 70 are different for 71-72. I did not learn this untill recently and checked my 70 and they were wrong. So at Carlisle this year I bought an OK set to some day change them out. While there I saw the guy that I bought the car from with a 71 for sale. Last year when I was buying my car he mentioned that he was working on this car. What do you know there are 70 egg crates on the 71 hummm.....

Get notified of new replies

To Stripping side eggcrates on a 72

Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that it matters.

Then I apply them with a special primer that I still have that I can not get any longer that is made to stick to stainless steel and chrome.

DUB
Zinc chromate primer?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
An interesting aside is that some silver and gray cars, still with original paint, have been seen with grills that didn't have the chromed edges exposed as is typical for other colors.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-01-2014, 07:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by emccomas
Zinc chromate primer?
Not that I am aware of...due to the heavy metals. I would have to look at the MSDS sheets and see what is in it....and it is in the industrial line in my paint system that has been deleted.....some time ago. Made specifically for chrome and stainless surfaces.

DUB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stripping side eggcrates on a 72