'82 Crossfire - tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:49 PM
toddrun
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '82 Crossfire - tuning

Hello All,

I have posted a couple of times about my '82 Crossfire Vette and having my engine/tranny replaced. In the end it was a complete disaster. The first mechanic was a total joke, did way more damage to the Vette than good, so it ended up at a second mechanic who finished the job best he could. Still have a lot of repair to do myself to get it back to the condition it was in. But the second mechanic was not overly familiar with the Crossfire injection, but he did his best.

It runs OK, but is obviously not in perfect tune. At idle it loads up, to the point that it will bog itself out unless I rev it a bit to clean it out. Just wondering if that is a sign of poorly balanced TBI's? The engine I purchased and the TBI's were completely professionally rebuilt by DCS, and were supposed to be balanced, but without linkages and such for mounting, who knows. Just really curious what the symptoms are of TBI's unbalanced, or do they vary so much it really cannot be explained? Its possible the TPS isn't even set correctly. The check engine light is operational, and it does not activate even when the Vette is running poorly, so none of the sensors are indicating errors to the computer, I suspect.

I printed off all the info on this forum on tuning the Crossfire, and I plan on doing that by myself just for the experience. Just have to build to custom tools for the balancing. Being from Minnesota, and being very close to SNOW time, I am debating just parking it for the season and going back to it in the spring, but on the other hand would like to have it running good before I park it.

Thanks, if anyone has any info to share!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:08 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you replace the engine and tranny and did you replace with like kind? Did you modify the engine in any way? Post of picture of the top of your engine w/o air cleaner in place? Need more info. I have an 1982 crossfire and it runs like a dream. Only thing I have done is replace all sensors and ignition parts with like kind.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:31 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

lots of little things need to be checked.wheres your timing at.you had the tbs rebuit,did they put the injectors in the right place ?there is a front injector and a rear injector.you can check your tb balance with a manometer.you can also do a quick check of the butter flys with a little paper .open the butterfly put in the paper let the butter fly close pull the paper out .if the drag is a lot more on one then the other you have some idea what you have .its a crude way but it will give you some idea what you have.i would check to see if the computer prom had ever been changed or if it had any recalls .there was one for the 82.one other thing is it coming up to temp .computer does not like low operating temps.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 AM
2001convertable
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your fuel pressure. If the pump is not putting out enough pressure the engine will not run correctly. I changed everything thing on my sons 82 and in the end it was the fuel pump. Countless hours and money only to be a 50 dollar pump.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:50 AM
toddrun
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engine was at the point where a complete rebuild was suggested, lots of leaks, oil usage, and the final straw was the dampener was rubbing up against the timing cover. As I started investigating a rebuild, even contemplated an LS1 conversion, I happened upon a great deal on an exact year '82 engine and transmission, completely rebuild, all new parts. Kind of made the decision really easy to buy the already rebuilt engine/tranny and install that rather than invest in mine, although I put mine away for numbers matching if I ever sell the car. Everything was exact replacement.

The mechanic did the timing, correctly by disconnecting the brown wire, to spec. Didn't know there were front and back injectors though?! How do you tell the difference? Why are they different? I did have to replace a diaphragm, as I upgraded to the '85 high pressure fuel pump and it blew through the first one. Pressure on the rail is set to 14.5psi. As soon as I get a manometer either made or purchased, I will be balancing the TBI's but have not done that yet. That paper trick is a great idea, I will have to do that, easy check.

Thanks for the suggestions, great info.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

the injectors have numbers on them .

Get notified of new replies

To '82 Crossfire - tuning

Quick Reply: '82 Crossfire - tuning