70 sb Shielding and Air Cleaner Survey

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:01 PM
boat196
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Bob I see that your car is a 350 hp Coupe. Does your stamp pad end in "CTJ" and if it does is the letter "J" reversed. Sometime during the day on the 6th this occurred on a few 350 hp with factory A/C cars.

Jay
Yes the motor code is CTJ, and it's in that orientation. This was a new code that replaced the earlier code of CTO. Per NCRS Corvette Specifications Guide.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:26 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by boat196
Yes the motor code is CTJ, and it's in that orientation. This was a new code that replaced the earlier code of CTO. Per NCRS Corvette Specifications Guide.
Bob would you mind sharing your VIN #. I am trying to narrow down when on the 6th the reversed "J" occurred.

Thanks
Jay
Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 PM
daytona yellow
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Domenic my car # 11297 was also built on June 6, 1970 and was delivered to Aero Chevrolet in Alexandria Virginia. Does you car have factory A/C? Is it a coupe or convertible?

Thanks

Jay
Jay coupe with no air. How about your car?
Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by daytona yellow
Jay coupe with no air. How about your car?
Domenic my car is a red/black 350 hp convertible with factory air, both tops, PS, Tilt/ Tele column, and alarm. So far I now know of four cars built on June 6th 1970. I think that it is neat to find cars built on the same day. I would like to find more.

Is your car a 350 hp car with it's original motor?

Jay
Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Bob would you mind sharing your VIN #. I am trying to narrow down when on the 6th the reversed "J" occurred.

Thanks
Jay
ttt
Old 02-26-2015, 11:14 PM
boat196
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 132 Posts

ttt
Old 02-27-2015, 12:10 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by boat196
Thanks Bob that does help to narrow it down. It looks like the reverse "J" occurred earlier in the production day. I am trying to narrow it down to a specific group of VIN's. I appreciate your help.

Jay
Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 AM
qtlow
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Jay, I think you're going about your research wrong. When "CTJ" was stamped in the block that was done in Michigan along with the assembly date of the engine. The VIN wasn't stamped in the block until it arrived in St. Louis just before it was married to the chassis. So there could be a fairly large window of which "CTJ" blocks went into which Corvette.

For example, several or hundreds of LS5, LT-1 or base Corvettes could have went down the assembly line before the next "CTJ" engine was pulled off the shelf to be installed in a chassis.

If you really want to do your detective work on this I think you'd be more accurate to find out the date the reversed "J" motor was assembled. In which case you should probably start a new thread because it would really take this ignition shield thread of track.

Not sure how many responses you'll get though considering how few engines this happened to and how few "CTJ" owners are on this forum.
Heck, I'm surprised I'm the only one who posted up a car in your L-46, A/C convertible thread. I was hoping there would be more.
Good luck in your search should you decide to pursue it.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by qtlow
Jay, I think you're going about your research wrong. When "CTJ" was stamped in the block that was done in Michigan along with the assembly date of the engine. The VIN wasn't stamped in the block until it arrived in St. Louis just before it was married to the chassis. So there could be a fairly large window of which "CTJ" blocks went into which Corvette.

For example, several or hundreds of LS5, LT-1 or base Corvettes could have went down the assembly line before the next "CTJ" engine was pulled off the shelf to be installed in a chassis.

If you really want to do your detective work on this I think you'd be more accurate to find out the date the reversed "J" motor was assembled. In which case you should probably start a new thread because it would really take this ignition shield thread of track.

Not sure how many responses you'll get though considering how few engines this happened to and how few "CTJ" owners are on this forum.
Heck, I'm surprised I'm the only one who posted up a car in your L-46, A/C convertible thread. I was hoping there would be more.
Good luck in your search should you decide to pursue it.
Hello Gregg,

While I do agree with you as to how many other engines went down the line at the same time and the fact that the engines were done before final assembly there is not a way to identify this short run of "reverse J engine stamps" from the time that it occurred during engine assembly. The only way that I see to narrow this down is through the sequence of VIN #'s built on 6/6/70. I know of two cars that are 6 VIN's apart and they both have the reverse "J" and are documented as such.

I also agree with you that I am very surprised that at least on this Forum that you are the only other owner of a 70 model 350 hp factory A/C convertible. I would have never believed that.

You are also correct that this is not the correct thread for this discussion so at this point if I find out any additional information other than what I already have I will start a new thread. I appreciate your input and for posting a picture of your car on my other thread.

Jay
Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM
daytona yellow
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Domenic my car is a red/black 350 hp convertible with factory air, both tops, PS, Tilt/ Tele column, and alarm. So far I now know of four cars built on June 6th 1970. I think that it is neat to find cars built on the same day. I would like to find more.

Is your car a 350 hp car with it's original motor?

Jay
Hi Jay....sounds like you have an awesome looking car. Mine has many original factory installed parts. It has its' original numbers matching 350HP engine / transmission / rear end, 7040207 quadrajet carb, 1100900 alternator & 1108338 starter to mention a few. Wish I had air on those hot humid days...
Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2015, 08:42 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by daytona yellow
Hi Jay....sounds like you have an awesome looking car. Mine has many original factory installed parts. It has its' original numbers matching 350HP engine / transmission / rear end, 7040207 quadrajet carb, 1100900 alternator & 1108338 starter to mention a few. Wish I had air on those hot humid days...
Wow Domenic your car is beautiful. I wish that I had a set of PO2's that I could run on my car. I love the look of them. You are very lucky to have your original carburetor and other rare parts because I have had to buy some of them for my car and it does get expensive. I can see that great care has been given to your car.

I just had my A/C repaired and I have to say that I am really looking forward to having it working in Southeast Texas. Starting next month I will need it continuously.

There are a couple of pictures of my car on my " Who owns One" thread which I believe is now on page 2.

Jay
Old 03-01-2015, 01:27 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

That is one beautiful looking 70 you have there in a great color,love the PO2's...
Old 03-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Ttt

Quick Reply: 70 sb Shielding and Air Cleaner Survey