Bought a '73 Coupe today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:46 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yyz1970
Nice car Enjoy
Thanks! Having a lot of fun with it, whether driving or just sitting in my garage! I've admittedly become a bit protective of it and put a wireless camera in the garage so I can keep an eye on it even when I'm not home 😎.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:50 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Very cool
Thanks! It's confirmed that C3's are indeed my favorite generation. 🏁.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:57 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimLentz
That car looks great!
While not perfect, it was a lot of car for the money that was immaculately kept as seen in the pics at the beginning of the thread. I'm apt to spend the few dollars fixing the front bumper paint crazing at the middle point here to make it even better than it was when I bought it. Bits like putting in a working Quartz clock, proper set of updated tires, an Optima Red battery to replace the wal-mart special that was put in for the sale, and a proper vintage aftermarket radio that conforms with the original look. Other than that the car is done for me.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Originally Posted by chucksingh
Is it a L82? AND WELCOME TO THE 73 CLUB.
No, the base 350 c.i. L48, all original and run likes a top! The original Rochester 4MV carb is tuned perfectly and the motor runs strong and flawlessly. The original optional A/C runs strong and quiet and is ice cold.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:03 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Originally Posted by tejasak
I love me 73C3 ****. Welcome to the club.
I put up all the photos in my photo section. I love checking out all the C3's on the forum. It's my passion to drool over all the cool looking Stingrays! 👀
Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the 73 club great looking car and I do like white
Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 PM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Originally Posted by guappy
Welcome to the 73 club great looking car and I do like white
Guappy, I like your style! You certainly have great taste when it comes to Vettes!��
Old 11-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Scott's 73
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yyz1970
Nice car Enjoy
I know that some people look down on the 73 model but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I like the transition Vette!!!

YYZ, I will say that I have been on and off this forum for 2 years and your post was the first that I have seen with the Elkheart Green color.

NICE!!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 PM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott's 73
I know that some people look down on the 73 model but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I like the transition Vette!!!
I feel the same way and is why I didn't take the typical path of being fixated on just the '68-'72 production years of which I would still buy a nice original example from that range, but really loved the transitional uniqueness of the '73 and couldn't pass up a really nice nearly all original example. I too don't ever see myself parting with my '73, just adding other model years to join as cash and opportunity allows...

Last edited by C5VetteDen; 11-18-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I like the 1973 too. Very nice one !

I'll always remember passing-up buying the elderly woman neighbor's '73 Coupe L48 White over Blk Leather 4-speed, with 40K miles in 1976. $6,500 asking. She couldn't drive the stick in her 70s and was selling it. Her previous was a '64 C2 Coupe 4-speed years before. I had just purchased a new heavily discounted '77 L82 Loaded-up Auto for $9,500 out-the-door.

I'd like to have something like this - one day !

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-18-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Default From Lomotion's Poughkeepsie, NY website:

That's a clean engine compartment for 41 years and 55K miles:
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2014, 01:44 AM
wolfrano02
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
That's like me asking you "which one of your wives was the hottest" (with your present wife sitting next to you).

Come On Dude Just Tell US ...Let Us Be jellous About Your Deal.
I wanna buy a 73 too it will give me an idea if i still have to put more money in the piggy bank or stop.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
That's a clean engine compartment for 41 years and 55K miles:
Yes, the condition top to bottom is what convinced me to not pass up such a well cared for numbers matching example before someone else swooped in and grabbed it. As clean as the engine compartment is, the rest of the under carriage is equally as clean. It's very consistant with a car that has been driven less than 1,400 miles per year over it's lifetime. As a matter of fact, when I was writing out the check another prospective buyer had called the dealer inquiring about it. As they say with life, timing is everything.

This is now my ideal 350 small-block C3 show and shine cruiser. Next I'lll have my sights set on a equally nice C3 big block....��

Last edited by C5VetteDen; 11-18-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

I like the 1973 too. Very nice one !

I'll always remember passing-up buying the elderly woman neighbor's '73 Coupe L48 White over Blk Leather 4-speed, with 40K miles in 1976. $6,500 asking. She couldn't drive the stick in her 70s and was selling it. Her previous was a '64 C3 Coupe 4-speed years before. I had just purchased a new heavily discounted '77 L82 Loaded-up Auto for $9,500 out-the-door.

I'd like to have something like this - one day !
They're out there, it's just a matter of finding one the owner is willing to part with (which is the largest hurdle) and one that wasn't previously promised to someone else for first right of refusal who knows what the car is. I can't tell you how many car shows I have been at where I find a spectacular corvette that is not for sale, but I ask anyway - sometimes even leaving my name and number. My '73 came by way of a consignment sale where the owner seemingly didn't want to have to deal with showing the car himself and having buyers come to his home, while getting the car more exposure for that consignment fee. Which underscores the fact to check the dealers too, Not just eBay and Hemmings. But I really like this Forum's classifieds too which I now check out daily. You never know where a nice one will show up...
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Scott's 73
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found mine on Craigslist. I have been searching for 3 months in my local area so I then started to look outside my local area. I broadened my search to include a 6 hour drive. One afternoon I was looking in the Vasalia area (6 hours North of me) and there was an ad that just came up. I still have it stored in my email.

Date: 2012-07-07, 9:03AM
1973 Corvette Stingray 37000 original miles, 350, 4 speed, T tops, Aircondition, power windows, Must See to appreciate original down to the paint. After being in storage for nearly 30 years was recently pulled out detailed and serviced.
Must sell, $14000 obo Contact Donald

I instantly called the guy and found out that he was listing the car for his aunt and she didn't do the computer thing. It has been sitting on jack stands since 1983 and it had just under 37,000 original mile. Well my arm went numb and then I started stumbling my words because my heart was thumping so fast.
After talking to this guy for a while he told me that there was a guy coming up to look at the car tomorrow at noon so I told him I would be there too. I grabbed a hand full of cash and rented a trailer and up I went. The next day Mary Ann (the wife of the original owner who passed away 5 years earlier) was there and the other guy that came from Fresno was already looking at the car. We both test drove it and then we both decided that we wanted the car! That's when the fun began... I know that the OBO usually means that we would be offering a lower price but in this case I was willing to offer more for the car.
Mary Ann asked the other guy what was his plans with her husbands car if he was to buy it and then he started listing off things like repainting it, putting in a big block and so on. She then turned to me and asked the same question. I replied that the car was perfect to me and that her husband kept it in such good shape that it would be a shame to change anything. All I was going to do was to make it road worthy and drive it around town.
She walked over to Fresno and (my heart dropped because I knew I would be heading home empty handed) she shook his hand and said thanks for coming today, then she walked over to me and said lets go do the paperwork. Fresno got pissed and said that he wants the car was willing to pay more and she told him thanks and have a nice day.
She later told me that she decided to sell me the car because of what I told her. She wanted to keep it original, like her husband did.

We loaded up the car on the trailer and I paid her the money for the 73 and I promised her that I would stay in touch with her so she can see that her late husbands baby would be well taken care of.
I did the math and from the records that I got from her, since 1983 to when I bought her, they put 1300 miles on her.
Since I have gotten her, I have put almost 5000 miles
That's my story

Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Great story
I found mine on Craigslist. I have been searching for 3 months in my local area so I then started to look outside my local area. I broadened my search to include a 6 hour drive. One afternoon I was looking in the Vasalia area (6 hours North of me) and there was an ad that just came up. I still have it stored in my email.

Date: 2012-07-07, 9:03AM
1973 Corvette Stingray 37000 original miles, 350, 4 speed, T tops, Aircondition, power windows, Must See to appreciate original down to the paint. After being in storage for nearly 30 years was recently pulled out detailed and serviced.
Must sell, $14000 obo Contact Donald

I instantly called the guy and found out that he was listing the car for his aunt and she didn't do the computer thing. It has been sitting on jack stands since 1983 and it had just under 37,000 original mile. Well my arm went numb and then I started stumbling my words because my heart was thumping so fast.
After talking to this guy for a while he told me that there was a guy coming up to look at the car tomorrow at noon so I told him I would be there too. I grabbed a hand full of cash and rented a trailer and up I went. The next day Mary Ann (the wife of the original owner who passed away 5 years earlier) was there and the other guy that came from Fresno was already looking at the car. We both test drove it and then we both decided that we wanted the car! That's when the fun began... I know that the OBO usually means that we would be offering a lower price but in this case I was willing to offer more for the car.
Mary Ann asked the other guy what was his plans with her husbands car if he was to buy it and then he started listing off things like repainting it, putting in a big block and so on. She then turned to me and asked the same question. I replied that the car was perfect to me and that her husband kept it in such good shape that it would be a shame to change anything. All I was going to do was to make it road worthy and drive it around town.
She walked over to Fresno and (my heart dropped because I knew I would be heading home empty handed) she shook his hand and said thanks for coming today, then she walked over to me and said lets go do the paperwork. Fresno got pissed and said that he wants the car was willing to pay more and she told him thanks and have a nice day.
She later told me that she decided to sell me the car because of what I told her. She wanted to keep it original, like her husband did.

We loaded up the car on the trailer and I paid her the money for the 73 and I promised her that I would stay in touch with her so she can see that her late husbands baby would be well taken care of.
I did the math and from the records that I got from her, since 1983 to when I bought her, they put 1300 miles on her.
Since I have gotten her, I have put almost 5000 miles
That's my story

Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

Great acquisition story and an awesome '73 you were able to buy!

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a '73 Coupe today!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:00 AM
John485garage
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes very nice 73's you guy's have there. I brought mine this past Sept. from a craigslist add. I also have a 75 that I am selling. When I first saw my 73 it was love at first sight!! 350 L48, 4-speed loaded, 23k original miles! $14500. It does need a front bumper, cracked in a couple of places. Replacing it over the winter. Same with my tires, original since 76 Firestones replacing with BS TA Radials. ENJOY!!!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5VetteDen
They're out there, it's just a matter of finding one the owner is willing to part with (which is the largest hurdle) and one that wasn't previously promised to someone else for first right of refusal who knows what the car is. I can't tell you how many car shows I have been at where I find a spectacular corvette that is not for sale, but I ask anyway - sometimes even leaving my name and number. My '73 came by way of a consignment sale where the owner seemingly didn't want to have to deal with showing the car himself and having buyers come to his home, while getting the car more exposure for that consignment fee. Which underscores the fact to check the dealers too, Not just eBay and Hemmings. But I really like this Forum's classifieds too which I now check out daily. You never know where a nice one will show up...
Originally Posted by John485garage
yes very nice 73's you guy's have there. I brought mine this past Sept. from a craigslist add. I also have a 75 that I am selling. When I first saw my 73 it was love at first sight!! 350 L48, 4-speed loaded, 23k original miles! $14500. It does need a front bumper, cracked in a couple of places. Replacing it over the winter. Same with my tires, original since 76 Firestones replacing with BS TA Radials. ENJOY!!!
THANKS, OP, and anyone else chiming in with their '73s ! I would love to find one in White as the OP did, and someday I will - I have no doubt !
Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM
C5VetteDen
Advanced

THANKS, OP, and anyone else chiming in with their '73s ! I would love to find one in White as the OP did, and someday I will - I have no doubt !
No problem, Joe! It's a pure joy and life's pleasure for me to share and talk all things Corvette! I have no doubt that any if us who keep the passion to aquire our dream Vette(s), that we all get there eventually!

Quick Reply: Bought a '73 Coupe today!