Sponsored by:

Removal rear window on C3

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Removal rear window on C3

Anyone know why Chevrolet stopped making the rear window removal on the early C3.

Last edited by ps374; 11-21-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yes. Like other features, such as the fiber-optic lamp sensors, they were eliminated in order to cut costs. This is something GM continued to do for the next 40 years...until they sold or got rid of everything that had any value (including their employees). Then they filed for bankruptcy and asked for a "bailout".
Old 11-22-2014, 06:49 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Yes. Like other features, such as the fiber-optic lamp sensors, they were eliminated in order to cut costs. This is something GM continued to do for the next 40 years...until they sold or got rid of everything that had any value (including their employees). Then they filed for bankruptcy and asked for a "bailout".
basically
Old 11-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

From the December 1972 Issue of Car and Driver
Sometimes, when you probe too deeply into his Corvettes, Zora Arkus-Duntov goes opaque. It happens when you question an engineering change that perhaps required a measure of political finesse — and compromise — with the cost accountants. Or when you encounter some detail that he feels strongly about but is afraid the majority will misunderstand. Then Duntov pulls down the shade and becomes inscrutable.

"Zora, the rear window on the 1973 Coupe no longer is removable. Are the customers going to like that?" A thin, elusive smile. A slight shrug. "We know what is best for them." He says it lightly, as if it were a joke. It is not. He has reasons. Decisions on the Corvette are not made capriciously and he wouldn't want anybody to think they were. "At 140 mph, with the roof panels off and the side windows up, the air in the cockpit is still. The wind goes right over the top. Remove the rear window and you get a buffeting backdraft." So the rear window doesn't come out anymore. Some of the customers — those who would never bother to try it both ways — may be disappointed. That doesn't worry Duntov. He knows precisely what is good for them.

That's the "official" GM line, cost cutting is usually cited by everyone else.

M
Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Mooser
Race Director

And here's the link I should have found and added

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

M
Old 11-23-2014, 12:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Like the buyers of a stock '73 C3 would be going 140 mph ???? Anyway, if you had the 'removable' window and wanted to go 140 mph, you could just leave the window IN.....

If you have driven or riden in a C3 coupe with the tops OFF and rear window OUT (at normal speeds), you would know why those of us who have one enjoy that set up so much.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

So I made mine removable. Honestly, I have never had I out. I intended to try it but didn't get around to it. For those of you that have driven with it out I have a question.
When my wife rides with me he hair gets blown from behind into her face. I kind of assumed it might be worse with the window out thinking it would whip back around, hence some convertibles having a rear wind block that comes up.
So my question is weather it is better or worse with the window out.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
When stopped for red lights that took several cycles to get through people were being asphyxiated by the exhaust fumes coming up over the rear deck.
Either that or $$$.
Take your pick.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Mooser
Race Director

I rarely drive with the window in (actually these days it seems I rarely drive...)
One thing for sure, if the windows are up and the roof panels are in, that back sugar scoop works a lot like a cowl induction and draws air INTO the car, at a fair rate depending on the speed

M
Old 11-23-2014, 11:34 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I always keep my roof panels on, but have the rear window out and the side windows down. I do not have A/C. The 68 sales brochure calls it "The convertible Coupe".
I love hearing the exhaust that way. And yes, the real reason was to save money and a couple of pounds of weight. I read a car magazine story that interviewed a top GM manager and he said that GM would throw them a bunch of money to launch a new vehicle....BUT they had to show them that they had cheapened the car every year after that. And I am still mad that they chose pennies over safety by dropping the inner two tail lights on the 69's. Lou.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

With the rear window out, the roof panels off, and the side windows down the airflow is directly through the vehicle. You get quite a bit of airflow with that configuration, but I consider it better than what you get with a convertible.

With the roof panels ON, the airflow is still directly through the cabin, but it is much less "windy".

From my experience, I've not had any backwash of exhaust fumes into the car with the back window out...unless I was stopped completely and the wind direction was blowing it back into the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Removal rear window on C3

Quick Reply: Removal rear window on C3