C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'80 Carpet change - Rear Compartment, HOW?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:13 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default '80 Carpet change - Rear Compartment Doors, HOW?

Updating the carpet in my '80 and am looking at the rear compartment hatch covers and trying to figure out how to remove and replace the carpet on them. It's sort of a 'clam-shell' design in that the carpet is sandwiched between the upper and lower frame. Problem is the upper and lower frames appear to be fused together and not removable.

Am I missing something here? Do I need to buy new frames just to change my carpet!?

Last edited by gbarmore; 11-22-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:21 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

The trim rings that cover the carpet edges on 78-82 are kinda like plastic welded to the doors.
The way I've recarpeted mine was to pretty much destroy the trim pieces, smooth over any remnants on the doors from where they were attached, and replace them with new trim pieces that screw on through the edges.
Find the smallest screws you can and then maybe even clip the length down a bit. Fit the trim, drill shallow pilot holes and put the screws it.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:51 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by KapsSA
The trim rings that cover the carpet edges on 78-82 are kinda like plastic welded to the doors.
The way I've recarpeted mine was to pretty much destroy the trim pieces, smooth over any remnants on the doors from where they were attached, and replace them with new trim pieces that screw on through the edges.
Find the smallest screws you can and then maybe even clip the length down a bit. Fit the trim, drill shallow pilot holes and put the screws it.
Thanks KapsSA, kinda figured I was going to have to destroy the trim. A carpet change can be really expensive if you really want to do it right. the door panels really need to be professionally done in my opinion because they basically have to be disassembled and reassembled to reproduce the original look and most of us don't have the skills / equipment to do that. If someone has a 'tutorial' on this process please share!

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:17 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Years ago, someone explained to me how Chevrolet assembled the 79-82 two door rear compartment doors. From what I remember, they where assembled using some sort of process where the door, frame and carpet, were all bonded together using heat.

Because of the process used, if you want to reuse your original doors, you have to break the old frames off, and replace them with new ones. This process seemed to cause the size of the door to vary some, so once you've removed the old frames, you may find that the doors are to big for the new frames. To fit the new frames, you likely end up having to grind the plastic doors down some, to get the frames to fit. All of the vendors sell the correct size screws, to attach the door frames.

If you don't want to reuse your old doors, you can buy repro doors, but they're made out of fiberboard, not plastic like the originals. You can also buy complete, pre-assembled rear compartment door assemblies, for around $170, but these use the fiberboard doors also.

You may want to reach out to Tom DeWitt. Besides doing the best radiators in the hobby, he also use to do rear compartment door assemblies. He sold off that part of the business about 8-10 years ago, but he should be able to give you pretty good instructions on how to do the job. Tom is on the Forum as "Tom DeWitt".

Last edited by gbvette62; 11-22-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Years ago, someone explained to me how Chevrolet assembled the 79-82 two door rear compartment doors. From what I remember, they where assembled using some sort of process where the door, frame and carpet, were all bonded together using heat.

Because of the process used, if you want to reuse your original doors, you have to break the old frames off, and replace them with new ones. This process seemed to cause the size of the door to vary some, so once you've removed the old frames, you may find that the doors are to big for the new frames. To fit the new frames, you likely end up having to grind the plastic doors down some, to get the frames to fit. All of the vendors sell the correct size screws, to attach the door frames.

If you don't want to reuse your old doors, you can buy repro doors, but they're made out of fiberboard, not plastic like the originals. You can also buy complete, pre-assembled rear compartment door assemblies, for around $170, but these use the fiberboard doors also.

You may want to reach out to Tom DeWitt. Besides doing the best radiators in the hobby, he also use to do rear compartment door assemblies. He sold off that part of the business about 8-10 years ago, but he should be able to give you pretty good instructions on how to do the job. Tom is on the Forum as "Tom DeWitt".
Great explanation GB, I just might have to reach out to Tom!

Get notified of new replies

To '80 Carpet change - Rear Compartment, HOW?

Quick Reply: '80 Carpet change - Rear Compartment, HOW?