Sponsored by:

Repair of the center console repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 12:09 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 732 Posts

Default Repair of the center console repair

I'm redoing / fixing a 71. The previous owner was an older person who pushed on the center console next to / behind the shifter to exit the car. The Car has a leather interior which is in very good shape. I'm making a nice driver out of the car and would like to repair the center console. The covering is intact and very presentable, but the plastic form / shell is CRACKED ALONG THE SEAMS / BEND from the top to the side.
My first thought was to glue the splits, but spot testing shows nothing so far holds.
The next thought is to put in reinforcement and rivet the sides back on.
The last thought is to put in a complete fiberglass reinforcement, that should hold until funds get to the interior replacement stage. Cost about $10.00 as I have the material. (cloth and resin)
After the holidays I'm going to try West Systems Epoxy as another test. (I've used it to make numerous items, no smell and it has not failed me ).

I don't want to get too complex and start trying to solvent bond the item.

Has anyone had success gluing / repairing the plastic?

Thanks

Last edited by BLUE1972; 11-27-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: words
Old 11-27-2014, 08:08 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My center console was broken, too. I've heard too many horror stories about new items not fitting properly, so I repaired the cracks from the inside with the same items you're considering. The exterior part of the cover wasn't cracked, just the substrate under the vinyl covering.
Works well so far...
Old 11-27-2014, 10:59 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I had to have a new one too..... To many years and too much sun and top down.

The new one fit pretty good . Not perfect but satisfactory .
Old 11-28-2014, 04:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you are referring to the [plastic] E-brake console, it would be best to remove it and put supporting epoxy patch on the inside of the housing. You can also squish-in a little epoxy into the crack (from the backside) to fill the crack so that it won't show. Wipe excess from the front and let all cure. If you need to recolor the part, you can get vinyl dye (or, elastomeric recoloring agent, if you are a purist) mixed to your interior color code at many pro auto paint supply stores.

Note: The E-brake housing has a small bolt holding it in the rear! You can access that bolt by removing the right-side storage compartment bin and reaching through that with small ratchet and socket.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:38 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Thanks,

Not a show queen but a driver.

Most of the screws and attachments for the console were loose or missing. Probably when the power windows feed was attached to the battery - don't ask.

The E brake housing is broke, (could not resist)
Will make a fiberglass insert until I replace it and pop rivet the shell, using the center support for the main attachment. (love wax paper and 4oz cloth)

The part I was attempting to "glue" is what is referred to as the forward center console as described in the previous photos, just not as flat, but the color matches. Amazingly the only broken part is the curve along the top of both sides, even the attachment points for the shift plate is intact. An easy out would be to form 2 "supports" and put them into the open space in the console with rivets.

My thoughts right now; I want to get the mechanical and most body work 100% or as close as I can, use the car next summer and then do the paint + interior hopefully next fall / winter. The fixes will only have to last the summer (hopefully), I am also thinking of changing to a black interior, so all the parts will be changed out or dyed. The car has all options but no power steering - go figure.
Thanks again
Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Because the leather covering on mine was in such good shape I repaired a crack two years ago from the inside with fibreglass strand and resin it seems to be holding up well.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:34 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Because the leather covering on mine was in such good shape I repaired a crack two years ago from the inside with fibreglass strand and resin it seems to be holding up well.
The leather on mine is also in really great shape, I'm going to try the fiberglass repair . I'll let you know.
thanks

Just one question , did you do any special prep to the surface. I was thinking acetone or lacquer thinner as a solvent to clean the surface?
thanks

Last edited by BLUE1972; 11-30-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: cannot spell
Old 12-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Because the leather covering on mine was in such good shape...
Originally Posted by BLUE1972
...The...leather on mine is also in really great shape...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but original consoles were vinyl covered, not leather.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Not a problem for me as car is far from original anyway, someone did a nice job or recovering the seats and centre console in leather I would be reluctant to downgrade to vinyl for originality sake:-)
Old 12-02-2014, 02:33 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Not a problem for me as car is far from original anyway, someone did a nice job or recovering the seats and centre console in leather I would be reluctant to downgrade to vinyl for originality sake:-)
Mine is also leather, the vinyl parts are stiff and brittle -i.e.: the brake cover. A noticeable difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Repair of the center console repair

Quick Reply: Repair of the center console repair