Sponsored by:

1975 Convertible Driver Door Misaligned

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 04:43 PM
patspag48836
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 Convertible Driver Door Misaligned

Hi Guys, I am new member that's just starting to restore a 1975 C3 Convertible that was bought new by my deceased father. It has seen a lot better days and I am hoping to get it back to it's former glory. I noticed today the drivers door is really out of alignment. It opens and closes ok, but the body lines are not matching at the top where the door meets the quarter panel. The front (fender side) of the door seems closer to being straight. Could the door be warped? the frame looks ok and I took off the sill and the floor under it looks ok. I am hoping it's just the door. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images    
Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Rookie suggestion:

Open the door about half way.......

grab underneath the door bottom edge....

DON'T HURT YOUR BACK......

lift up and down on the door to see how much "slack" is in the door hinge pins.....

How much up/down slack did you feel:

None_______

1/4" or more ?_______

Let us know.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you know the history of your new car?

Was it ever wrecked ?

Will the tops , fit properly?

The door bushing could be completely missing at the top hinge. Should be no play lifting up a bottom corner . I replaced mine last year. Common issue .

Rest of the area. Can see looks ruff.

Probably need to step back , take few more pics that allow a more complete area of body to be viewed.

I hope the frame is good....but.. These things get jacked up incorrectly , and rusted out frame pickets etc, all kinds of things are possible.

Give us more pics to analyze

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 11-27-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:38 PM
patspag48836
Heel & Toe

Hi Guys, I did lift up on the door earlier (car is being stored at brother's house) I did pull up on it and it felt pretty tight NO PLAY. I will definitely try from the corner tomorrow see if maybe I didn't lift hard enough. I know they replace the pin and bushings back in 1986. The car did get backed into and it look like it took a square shot in the bumper and did put a couple of cracks in the body. The passenger door is shutting pretty square and lining up much better. The guy that painted the car back in 1987 used some kind of paint or prep that is making all of the paint come off in chunks. As soon as I get mobile again, I am taking it to a body shop to get estimate. Putting new plugs and Marvel Mystery oil in all the cylinders and going to try and fire it up on Monday. Then try and figure out why it's stuck in gear...lol
If this was not my dad's corvette it would have been junked. I did check the birdcage and it looks like just a little surface. I do still need figure out how

to remove that stainless steel molding without damaging it. Thank you guys for all the input and sorry to be such a FNG... Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:12 PM
kjbuster1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Door

Originally Posted by patspag48836
Hi Guys, I did lift up on the door earlier (car is being stored at brother's house) I did pull up on it and it felt pretty tight NO PLAY. I will definitely try from the corner tomorrow see if maybe I didn't lift hard enough. I know they replace the pin and bushings back in 1986. The car did get backed into and it look like it took a square shot in the bumper and did put a couple of cracks in the body. The passenger door is shutting pretty square and lining up much better. The guy that painted the car back in 1987 used some kind of paint or prep that is making all of the paint come off in chunks. As soon as I get mobile again, I am taking it to a body shop to get estimate. Putting new plugs and Marvel Mystery oil in all the cylinders and going to try and fire it up on Monday. Then try and figure out why it's stuck in gear...lol
If this was not my dad's corvette it would have been junked. I did check the birdcage and it looks like just a little surface. I do still need figure out how

to remove that stainless steel molding without damaging it. Thank you guys for all the input and sorry to be such a FNG... Happy Thanksgiving!
Don't feel like a "FNG". We all try to help each other.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The usual suspect: hinge pin bushings.

FWIW: the 75 assembly instruction manual (AIM) could help with restoring your car.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:55 PM
patspag48836
Heel & Toe

Default 1975 Radiator Core Support

Hi Guys, I just finished pulling the motor and trans in 1975 350 4-Speed convertible. I notice the Radiator Core Support is pretty much gone due to rust... I'm hoping to replace before going forward with anything else. I appears that the core support just bolts in and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on replacing the core and is there anything else I should check or replace while I have this time without the motor and trans in the way? Thanks
Old 12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Funny thing now that you mention it - are you aware that a '75 convertible 4-speed is a pretty rare beast? You can't really get an accurate number but there aren't many.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 PM
patspag48836
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
Funny thing now that you mention it - are you aware that a '75 convertible 4-speed is a pretty rare beast? You can't really get an accurate number but there aren't many.
No, I was not aware of that fact. That's really awesome...Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate any and all input!

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Convertible Driver Door Misaligned

Quick Reply: 1975 Convertible Driver Door Misaligned