Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Tags / Number Plate Sizes

I have just transferred my cherished number plate to my C3 and wanted black / silver plates as shown in the picture below.

Here in the UK there is little wiggle room for the size, layout and design of your number plate but as my car is pre 1972 and classed as historic I can have the black / sliver combination on both front and rear whereas the only layout for new cars is yellow for the rear and white for the fronts.

I’ve searched and searched for plates in black / silver 300mm x 160mm and the closest I can legally get is an historic motorcycle plate measuring 330mm x 175mm. I’ve had them made and had to cut down the rear one to fit the chrome plate surround and that looks like crap.
So in reaching out to the forum, can anyone get hold of correctly sized plates for me with my digits – V8 VET. Preferably in black / silver but I’d be open to other suggestions ?? My biggest issue is having correctly sized plates for the car but they must have the correct index. Digits are ‘supposed’ to be of a certain size but the historic classification gives a little more latitude and I’m prepared to take the risk.

So, for you across the pond, can you get plates made or does your system prevent having plates made unless the match a specific car ?

I’ll of course take care of all cost’s if it is doable ?

Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brit vet

So, for you across the pond, can you get plates made or does your system prevent having plates made unless the match a specific car ?

There seems to be quite a few places in North America that make artistic plates in the correct size. In my area we are not permitted to use or register these plates, but, they are popular for decoration, etc. If you are able to actually register custom plates in the UK you should not have a problem getting yours made at a reasonable price.

Just one example of completely custom plates http://www.cafepress.ca/cp/customize...ber=1442327724

A US supplier with good prices http://teamlogodesigner.com/create/6...lates?c=878762

PS Hello from 'the other London

Last edited by Ontario73; 11-28-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:04 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Just one example of completely custom plates http://www.cafepress.ca/cp/customize...ber=1442327724

A US supplier with good prices http://teamlogodesigner.com/create/6...lates?c=878762

PS Hello from 'the other London [/QUOTE]

Thanks O73.

Had a look at both sites but couldn't seem to get what I need so I'll keep looking though I suspect it wont work out.

London, Gah, have to work there but escape to the north to live..

Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bv,
Have you looked at "licenseplates.tv" ?
Perhaps they can make something for you.
They made a set of plates for me that are very nicely done.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 AM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi bv,
Have you looked at "licenseplates.tv" ?
Perhaps they can make something for you.
They made a set of plates for me that are very nicely done.
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan.

Yes they are amongst the hundreds of sites I have looked at and called to no avail. I have found a vintage motor cycle outlet that reluctantly agreed to make them and have took my order & payment but when they process the registration No. alarm bells may go off so I'll wait and see. It's something to do with it being a registration registered to a car being made for a bike that is the issue.

Ho hum.

Get notified of new replies

To Tags / Number Plate Sizes

Quick Reply: Tags / Number Plate Sizes