Sponsored by:

gas/fume odor

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 02:56 PM
mtnance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I got all the parts in (3 boxes in two days). However, the gas tank itself came with the screws and a rubber gasket for the filler neck. In the "kit" it had (and I received) a cork gasket for the same thing. Unless something fits differently, it appears I have a choice. I haven't dropped the old tank yet, plan on that within the next 4 to 5 days. So, my question is either I haven't seen the proper make up of the filler necks parts and will use both or I have a choice. If I have a choice which would be better, the rubber or cork gasket?

As a side note: the screws that attach the filler neck are in a separate USPS shipment that hasn't arrived yet, but they were also in the small pouch with the gas tank/gasket. There was a second pouch that had the sending unit lock ring and gasket.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:38 AM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I got multiple filler neck gaskets too. The original looked like rubber so going with that, but let me know what you find when you drop your tank.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:23 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

You might check the filler neck for flatness and/or distortion from over tightening the bolts. Mine was warped and I first tried to flatten it on emery cloth on my tablesaw. That didn't work out, can't remember why. Aftermarket was POS but I finally found a good used one.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

My tank was leaking at the filler neck gasket. I got a whiff of gasoline every time I turned a sharp corner. The gasket had deteriorated to the point that the screws had lost their tension. The gasket fell off in several pieces when I removed the filler neck.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:53 AM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Update:

Dropped the tank and my only real issue was not realizing that the mufflers would be in the way, so I had to unbolt the hangers and push apart to allow tank to drop. Not a big deal. The gasket for the filler neck was just in pieces and it was the cork style, so I am going to use the rubber one that came with the tank and not the cork that came with the kit (even though they send two of them). The bottom of the tank at the support bar was pitted fairly bad and I think there were pin holes. Now,...going to contort myself and reassemble.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:47 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

GM used a cork gasket on the filler neck. Lawn mower engines use a cork gasket in the fuel tank caps. I would use the cork gasket. Gasoline eats most kinds of rubber, eventually. Do you know that gasoline will leak out of a small hole that water will not leak out of? I was a fuel handler in the ARMY for three years. Lou.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:22 PM
GregS_72
Racer

Originally Posted by loup68
GM used a cork gasket on the filler neck. Lawn mower engines use a cork gasket in the fuel tank caps. I would use the cork gasket. Gasoline eats most kinds of rubber, eventually. Do you know that gasoline will leak out of a small hole that water will not leak out of? I was a fuel handler in the ARMY for three years. Lou.
good to know... what about Permatex Ultra Black RTV Gasket Maker in addition to the cork for extra protection?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 PM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Well, it's too late right now. I used the rubber gasket, but seeing as how you can get to the filler neck and remove and replace the gasket without dropping the tank, I save both of the cork ones sent. With the screws to the filler neck, I tightened using a every other one method to make sure I applied even force. They are tight but still could have used more pressure. I am thinking about 10 psi or so. The original cork gasket was in very bad shape and literally fell apart when I removed the filler neck.

This whole process took me about 10 hours, taking my time and a lunch break. The unexpected was the mufflers in my way, but they moved once unfastened at the ends. The real pita was the tank straps. That took 2 hours by itself. I swear the ones they sent me are 1/2 shorter than stock. All in all, I am pleased with everything. I got three gallons in the tank before the new sending unit needle moved, so that's something to remember.

After 12 hours and an overnight in the garage, I am happy to say, NO fume/gas smell. Whahooo.

Last edited by mtnance; 12-21-2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-21-2014, 03:28 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I just want to add that the cork gasket works because it is a natural product, and it swells slightly to seal. You are not suppose to use any sealer with it. I would never attempt to use any silicone product to seal gasoline. It will be eaten up right away. Been there, done that. Lou.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:53 PM
GregS_72
Racer

Originally Posted by loup68
I just want to add that the cork gasket works because it is a natural product, and it swells slightly to seal. You are not suppose to use any sealer with it. I would never attempt to use any silicone product to seal gasoline. It will be eaten up right away. Been there, done that. Lou.
good to know... thanks
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 PM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for that info. I'll keep an eye out and retain my cork gaskets for later on. Right now, I need to recuperate. Even though a bit off topic,...what's your opinion about the rubber gasket versus cork on valve covers?
Old 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I am sorry that I am not qualified to answer the question about the valve cover gaskets. Someone please help him out with that one.
What part of NC do you live in? I'm in Myrtle beach, SC. Lou.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:17 PM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Just outside of Charlotte to the west.

Quick Reply: gas/fume odor