Sponsored by:

1978 Speedo squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Rich123
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1978 Speedo squeaks

I have a slight squeak - squeak - squeak coming from the area of the speedo when the car starts moving. At low speeds I can see the speedo needle bounce slightly at the same pace as the squeak.

I'm hoping the cable needs lube. Is there an easy way to lube the cable? As the cable is spiraled wires, will putting lube in it at the transmission end make the lube work it's way up as the cable is turned?

What kind of lube should I use? I was thinking about lithium or sprayed silicon lube. What might be better?

Thanks
Rich
Old 12-14-2014, 06:42 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

If I recall you need to pull the cable out from the speedo end. Smear it with lithium grase and slide it back in.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Rich123
Instructor

Originally Posted by kanvasman
If I recall you need to pull the cable out from the speedo end. Smear it with lithium grase and slide it back in.
I was hoping to avoid pulling the speedo / tach assembly out. The directions don't look fun.
I wonder if I can pull it from the transmission end?
I read a post that said be careful lubing it as the speedo will get gummed up with excessive lube.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:07 PM
CVO2FIXUP
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

My 71 tack sounded like two canneries on acid. Deafening, the Corvette Guru ( my mechanic ) lubed the bejeesus out the cable from under the car and all is nice and quiet now.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Rich123
Instructor

I guess I'll just jack it up and give it a try. I hope nothing breaks.

It bit my *** when I changed the multi-leaf rear springs out for a single composite spring and the left front bolt broke off in the diff housing when I was removing them. I'm almost afraid to turn any bolts or screws now.
But on the other hand it sure rides nicer.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Rich123
Instructor

Well I jacked up the left side of the car and crawled under it. The speedometer cable wasn't hard to find on that side of the automatic. It wasn't even that hard to unscrew by hand.
I thought I would be able to pull out the inside cable, clean it, lube it and put it back. When I tried to pull the cable it moved about 3/4 inch and stopped. It came to a hard stop as if it was not meant to come out. The car does not have cruise control so there's only one cable. Am I wrong about being able to pull the cable out of the housing? Is there more to it than just a cable in the housing going from the trans to the speedo?
Old 12-20-2014, 05:52 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Hi mate the inner cable has a collar at top so it will only come out at the speedo end .
Old 12-20-2014, 06:25 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

Agree w/Sug, it only comes out from the end by the speedo. You have the right idea, just going in from the wrong end.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Rich123
Instructor

Originally Posted by sug
Hi mate the inner cable has a collar at top so it will only come out at the speedo end .

ooooooohhhhhhh.......... no wonder!

Thanks for the feed back.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:01 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich123

ooooooohhhhhhh.......... no wonder!

Thanks for the feed back.
Mine squeaked for awhile and then stopped dead. I do have a cruise control transducer but I think your single cable would be the same, just longer. I sprayed lubricant into the end I could access, I suggest pulling your cable up into the engine bay so gravity will help feed the lube to the speedometer. I chucked the end of the actual drive cable into a power drill and ran it in REVERSE for awhile. Worked like a charm!

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Speedo squeaks

Quick Reply: 1978 Speedo squeaks