C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the deal between Rubber Bumpers n Chrome Bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:03 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Whats the deal between Rubber Bumpers n Chrome Bumpers?

Besides the bumpers themselves and the SMOG Equipment, whats the big deal? There seems some who favor the chrome over rubber, and prices also dictate this. The rubber bumper cars are getting older too! Cant be the age. The 74 n I believe 75's also had available big blocks too. PLEASE I DON'T WANT TO START A PISSING CONTEST / ARGUMENT. I just would like to understand the differences. Thanks. HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY TO EVERYONE ALSO!!!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by daanbc
Besides the bumpers themselves and the SMOG Equipment, whats the big deal? There seems some who favor the chrome over rubber, and prices also dictate this. The rubber bumper cars are getting older too! Cant be the age. The 74 n I believe 75's also had available big blocks too. PLEASE I DON'T WANT TO START A PISSING CONTEST / ARGUMENT. I just would like to understand the differences. Thanks. HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY TO EVERYONE ALSO!!!!!
To me it's looks, (or lack there of) as well as the lack of performance after 1971 that is lacking on the later C3's including the BB equipped cars

These two things dictate selling prices.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by z06scentair
To me it's looks, (or lack there of) as well as the lack of performance after 1971 that is lacking on the later C3's including the BB equipped cars

These two things dictate selling prices.
Thats understandable, but aren't the smog motors the same as the non-smog? If you take off all that equipment.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...whats the big deal?...
There is no big deal. It's a matter of personal preference.

...There seems some who favor the chrome over rubber...
True. And some who prefer convertibles over coupes...and some who prefer big blocks over small...4 speed over automatic...AC over no AC...

...The 74 n I believe 75's also had available big blocks too...
74 was the last year for the big block and dual exhaust.

...I...would like to understand the differences...
Own one of each. Best of both worlds.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here's my .02

To each their own . Me personally , I love the look of the 80-82s . To me , you can't beat the lines on them , simply beautiful . But that's my opinion . Motors , drivetrain , suspension ... all can be changed .
Investment wise , hands down a chrome bumper car , IMO .

Old 12-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its a general trend as we moved from the 'performance' era of the '60s and into the bumper and emissions laws of the '70s and beyond. Off the top of my head, all of the following began to lose a degree of appeal as they changed looks, gained weight and lost power from the factory: Corvette, Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, Olds Cutlass, Firebird, GTO, Mustang, Cuda/Challenger/Roadrunner, MG, Triumph, Jaguar, Porsche 911 and Datsun Zs...

Actually, the C3 fared better than most as the '70s wore on.

A good analogy is the sports fan...there are those with an open mind, somewhat indifferent and who appreciate a good game as much as anything...and then there are the die-hards with a closed mind, who's fave team is the only team...nothing else matters and they have perfected annoying everyone around them with their constant and ignorant banter...we all know a few...

As a side-note: I wanted a '68 or '69 because of the aforementioned and because I prefer the looks. I now have a '68, but I find it interesting that many specifically shun and exclude the '68, others include it as equal in the bumper car arena, and others consider one of the most desirable. Some things just make you wonder...?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:08 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Thank you all. So the difference in the degree of pricing is from a favorable point of view, rather then years. I can understand some that may not like the idea of restricted power. To me a chrome bumber and a rubber bumper both look sexy. The styling of C3's is so smooth and looks right.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:10 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

The rubber bumper cars and doing away with the chrome was the start of the modern look which continues today. Some new cars are just starting to bring back a limited amount of chrome. The chrome bumper cars are popular because they are the last of the true classic looking cars. Everything else is in that modern category.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:30 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Could it just be the age of the owner?

I was born in 1975. My favorite vette is the late "rubber" c3's and I bet that if I were born in 1965 my favorite would be the chrome bumper rigs.

Why? Cause when were were kids we saw movies, billboards, and posters that told us how cool "our generation's" vette was.

Chrome bumpers have a higher value than rubbers right now. But I bet as the 30 something's get into the financial position of buying up their childhood dreams (and most of the restoreable cars), the late C3's will step up in value similar to the chrome bumpers.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both a 71 and a 82 the 82, the 82 has great lines I only wish they still had the straight back glass instead of the bubble back glass. the 71 is just classic
Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mrscott25
...I was born in 1975...
Whippersnapper.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Whippersnapper.
Geezer!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:15 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

you know you are trying to start a big old mess...
JK, what happens in these type threads is someone with thin skin thinks someone insulted the year they have and they get butthurt and the fur starts flying...

See what Mike said....

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
There is no big deal. It's a matter of personal preference.
True. And some who prefer convertibles over coupes...and some who prefer big blocks over small...4 speed over automatic...AC over no AC...
74 was the last year for the big block and dual exhaust.
Own one of each. Best of both worlds.

this sums it up very well

Originally Posted by gator79
I have both a 71 and a 82 the 82, the 82 has great lines I only wish they still had the straight back glass instead of the bubble back glass. the 71 is just classic

I have owned several vettes and the older they were the more unrefined racy beasts they were, at least mine,
I owned two 81's put over 100k on one, daily driver, sweet car but my first c3 was a 72 bb 'vert it was my all time favorite car so I fixed my mistake of selling it buying my 69 for me the dividing line between classic and modern was plastic bumpers on cars so that was why I was draw to the older ones...doesn't make them better just makes them what I liked, that opinion will vary with each person...
Old 12-16-2014, 05:18 PM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

It's sort of like asking what you prefer, blondes or brunettes........

I like them all (blondes and brunettes), chrome bumpers or rubbers, but I grew up in the 60's and 70's, so I lean towards the chrome bumper cars. However, I've always liked the styling of the 80 - 81 with the outward extension of the front valance. If I were to get another C3, that's what I'd look for. You can always mod them to improve the performance.

IMO, as far as values, generally you can plot values on an inverted bell curve. However some will always be more valuable than others based on options, numbers built, and desirability.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:30 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

So basically it's our age, and what we grew up wanting.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:33 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by The13Bats
you know you are trying to start a big old mess...
JK, what happens in these type threads is someone with thin skin thinks someone insulted the year they have and they get butthurt and the fur starts flying...

See what Mike said....

this sums it up very well

I have owned several vettes and the older they were the more unrefined racy beasts they were, at least mine,
I owned two 81's put over 100k on one, daily driver, sweet car but my first c3 was a 72 bb 'vert it was my all time favorite car so I fixed my mistake of selling it buying my 69 for me the dividing line between classic and modern was plastic bumpers on cars so that was why I was draw to the older ones...doesn't make them better just makes them what I liked, that opinion will vary with each person...
I've gotten my answers, the moderator can take this off as to not to start an argument. Thank you gentlemen....
Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The Good and the Bad

Or, horsepower verses No power

except power started to diminish starting with a 70 and it was all downhill after that becoming cream puffs

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the deal between Rubber Bumpers n Chrome Bumpers?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:53 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I've gotten my answers, the moderator can take this off as to not to start an argument. Thank you gentlemen....
I hope you didnt take my fun ribbin serious,
I think everyone will play nice....
Old 12-16-2014, 05:53 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I like some years more than others, but do like them all. We all have our preferences. If a plastic bumper car is your preference, that is actually a bonus. They are generally cheaper than a chrome bumper car and you can pick up the car you want for less.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:26 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I hope you didnt take my fun ribbin serious,
I think everyone will play nice....
Not at all… Just don't want to start trouble. I know it was a loaded question. I was hoping the way I worded it. That I wouldnt come off making someone upset. Everyone who has answered has been great. I really never thought of the age thing. Always looking towards the cars. But it is true, Each age group has their own thing.

Quick Reply: Whats the deal between Rubber Bumpers n Chrome Bumpers?