Sponsored by:

Painting Egg Crates

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:51 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Had mine done, along with all the other chrome, by a local plating shop. As I mentioned above, they were blasted down, re-nickled, rechromed, then I primered and painted the entire part, then removed the paint from the edges. No mention of anything out of the ordinary, with respect to the crates.. Its been around 4 years now and the edges still are perfect...

Thanks...good to know. Looks perfect. All I know about chrome plating is what the chrome shop guy told me.

I know plastic parts can be vapor/vacuum deposited with what looks like chrome. I've often been tempted to try it. A shop that does vacuum deposition offered to plate a metal part for me. Never followed through.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I believe that vacuum 'plating' process for plastic parts uses aluminum (rather than chrome). That stuff is good for interior parts; but put them outside and they deteriorate rather quickly. I think doing that for outside parts would require the part to be clear-coated to protect it from environment/UV.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:17 PM
boat196
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
From what I know, they are difficult to rechrome. The louvers are a cast aluminum alloy, not pot metal. Any re-chromer can strip them down; remove the chrome plate, the nickel plate..and polish the basic aluminum. For re-plating, the polished aluminum has to be anodyzed with a electro conductive anodyzing. After this specialized anodyzing plating, the part can then be nickel and the chrome plated. There are not that many shops that can do the electrically conductive anodyzing.
Could you post the name of your plater, I'm maybe looking for another plater if my current plater isn't intrested in plating my grilles.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I believe that vacuum 'plating' process for plastic parts uses aluminum (rather than chrome). That stuff is good for interior parts; but put them outside and they deteriorate rather quickly. I think doing that for outside parts would require the part to be clear-coated to protect it from environment/UV.
Back in the 80's they were selling plastic aftermarket headlight trim rings for chevy trucks to replace the cast metal ones and they definitely looked like chrome finish not aluminum . They held up pretty good unless you used them around salt covered roads. Eventually they would turn green but as cheap as they were , you could replace them. If they could do this with the egg crates they would hold up fine for many years for a fair weather driver.

Quick Reply: Painting Egg Crates