Sponsored by:

1978 corvette value holley or Q-jet

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:31 PM
joescvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1978 corvette value holley or Q-jet

Hello, Picked up a 1978 corvette L82 4-speed, 350, right now it came with a edelbrock performer, and a holley 4778-2. 700 duel pump. question, holley needs a rebuilt. Would the value drop if I kept the holley on, or go back to the Q-jet setup. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Drew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If originality is a concern put the Q-Jet back on....I really don't think value is affected much if you go with a Holley....
Sounds like some things have already been changed on the car anyway......Good Luck with your '78.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew
If originality is a concern put the Q-Jet back on....I really don't think value is affected much if you go with a Holley....
Sounds like some things have already been changed on the car anyway......Good Luck with your '78.

Determine how original your car is. If there are a lot of replaced parts and you don't care about originally stick with what you have. Also from what I've read on this forum, the edelbrock and holley are much easier to work on. Good luck
Old 12-20-2014, 07:09 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I believe your car is likely modded enough not to care about being 100% original,

I can tune a Solex pretty darn good and webers not bad, the Edelbrock weber so-so, never could get a holley to do right, it's just me,
I started researching what would be the best carb for me, and to my dismay it's a Q-jet,
After lots more research as in further than just this one forum I learned while they are a bit more complicated than say a Holley or Edelbrock when set up correctly they are in many ways better, staring with small primaries to cruise on and big old secondaries to romp on,

If you have a good core get a known name to rebuild it so you know it's right from the start,
Each forum has their rebuild guru Lars is the man here, if you are like me and need to buy the entire carb many builders are great and know their stuff like Murphy or Ruggles who wrote the book on Q-jets
Old 12-20-2014, 07:32 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Being a rookie to the Forum, I have a 600 CFM Holley on my '34 SBC 350 street truck, and a 600? CFM Edelbrock 1405 carb on my Vette project....both carbs are easy to adjust/set for cruising.....

but rather than "mess-up" a quadrajet, I would send it to Lars--the carb expert who is a Forum member......as 13Bats said previously.

And congrats on the "New Car"!

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 corvette value holley or Q-jet

Quick Reply: 1978 corvette value holley or Q-jet