Sponsored by:

Problem after problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Problem after problem....

Just curious but do any of you have something go wrong every time you drive your car?? Seems like every time I take it out something happens or breaks. Tonight took the wife for a drive and when I pulled in the garage and shut it off the power antenna broke and just kept going and going. Had to disconnect the battery to shut it off then dropped the muffler to remove it. The wife kids with me saying whenever I want a project I should drive the car and that's what it seems like lately.

And tonight also while we were out every time I started it, it acted like the timing it too far advanced. I have it @12 deg on my 82. Has not done that before??? Started is new as well. Like I say it's been something every time and is getting aggravating.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 AM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
The wife kids with me saying whenever I want a project I should drive the car.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:12 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Yes.....but that's why I bought a basket-case....LOL!

Every test-drive is an adventure....

After every test-drive I remove a new component from the wall in the garage and replace the "fried" component.....

Since my project will be a resto-mod and originality of alternators/starters/etc is not a factor.....within the next three months it should have a lifetime warranty on all the major components.......

courtesy of AutoZone!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:16 AM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the faith! Sometimes it seems like a rough patch but it'll pass.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:35 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C3Hawk
Keep the faith! Sometimes it seems like a rough patch but it'll pass.
I always have faith it just lets me down but I'm getting used to it..
Old 12-21-2014, 12:43 AM
thb72
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They tell me it is part of the fun.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:17 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Well look at it this way. Sooner or later, all the parts will be new,
Old 12-21-2014, 07:17 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
That is why I bring a compact tool box with a bearing puller inside....just in case something goes wrong near an auto parts store!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:51 AM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by scrappy76
Just like the Detroit roadways though; as soon as the last part is replaced, the first one is ready for replacement again.

Terry
Old 12-21-2014, 09:56 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

what great responses and all so true.you think you have it bad i get the same from my daily driver.best of luck and if you need my help i'm always around.(not always sober though).
Old 12-21-2014, 10:01 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have gone through periods when it seemed as though something broke every time I drove. Eventually you will regain confidence in the car. These are old cars and things will break. I have 4 of them now so there is always one that needs fixing
Old 12-21-2014, 10:03 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Yep, I'm used to it too, because that's my Sassy. There is always something to fix and it's like a car version of "Whack-a-Mole"! Except instead of a quarter, you're stuffing C-notes into it.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I have gone through periods when it seemed as though something broke every time I drove. Eventually you will regain confidence in the car. These are old cars and things will break. I have 4 of them now so there is always one that needs fixing
You must love the abuse! I have two and that's enough for me. Yesterday, we were investigating why my '95 C4 had a soft brake pedal. The second Master Cylinder that had got put in two years ago, is now leaking and I haven't even put five thousand miles on it. So now it's going to get a THIRD one, with only 100k on it!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:42 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Feeling better already...
Old 12-21-2014, 01:01 PM
braxton69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Yes.....but that's why I bought a basket-case....LOL!

Every test-drive is an adventure....

After every test-drive I remove a new component from the wall in the garage and replace the "fried" component.....

Since my project will be a resto-mod and originality of alternators/starters/etc is not a factor.....within the next three months it should have a lifetime warranty on all the major components.......

courtesy of AutoZone!
You should have been a comedian. Every time I read one of your responses, I crack up laughing. On the parts replacement warranties, those Chinese replacement parts carry a better warranty than GM did when the car was new. know that's not funny.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:25 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

I have gone out to work on something and everything flows and goes so smoothly last big thing I tackled was a new radiator in wife's Xterra, it went so smooth it was scary, but that is an exception not the rule,
Normally I can't count how many things want to try to do their damnedest to drive me nucking futts,

The 69 we have now didn't impress my wife at all,
One cruise the carb burst into flames and it was towed home, not long after that we hit a pot hole busted a rear strut and another tow home that lead to fining the rust at the frame kick up,
That lead to the car sitting getting more run down for over two years,
My wife didn't press it on me hard but she was sold old cars are total junk,

The only answer was to replace each thing, ( I have a build thread on here ) rebuilt chassis being swapped out and when I get it back here I still have some pesty issues do deal with before the fun of getting it running driving again, I pseudo boast it will be as good or better than it was in 69 when I get her going again,

The simple fact is these cars even the last of them are over 30 years old and 30 yo parts do fail, to keep these cars in driver shape is hard unless they are overhauled or for a more refined word "restored"
I can't imagine how hard a time it would be to have an older c3 that is all stock pristine that the owner wants to drive yet the 40 yo car is likely to have something break on every drive and the purist can't pop in autozone like some of us and buy that import lifetime alternator or starter.

In the end I have ever met a piece of metal ( or fiberglass ) that has outsmarted me yet, no matter how hard they try, and even after the worse day of the little things going wrong trying to fit me for a straight jacket for me owning the 69 is well worth it...as my wife puts it "bang for the buck"
Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I don't know why, but fixing these cars is entertainment, and fixing a daily driver is a PITA.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem after problem....

Old 12-21-2014, 04:50 PM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
I don't know why, but fixing these cars is entertainment, and fixing a daily driver is a PITA.
Couldn't agree more! DD breaks, I cuss and get mad gripe and fix it. Vette breaks, I smile, drop a couple of hundred at least at parts store, and fix it, smiling all the time. I just don't feel like I am spending time or money on it. Might be creepy, but it is like she has become my personal Exotic Dancer, and when I see her, I can't get my wallet open fast enough or long enough..........
Old 12-22-2014, 07:06 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by vbgod1
Couldn't agree more! DD breaks, I cuss and get mad gripe and fix it. Vette breaks, I smile, drop a couple of hundred at least at parts store, and fix it, smiling all the time. I just don't feel like I am spending time or money on it. Might be creepy, but it is like she has become my personal Exotic Dancer, and when I see her, I can't get my wallet open fast enough or long enough..........
Pretend I am your Corvette and throw some money my way !
Old 12-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2nd wife use to bitch about how I seem to spend more time working on the vette than driving it. I told her that I had the vette longer than I had her and working on it was more enjoyable. She became the ex, I still have the vette, then she did me the greatest favor an ex wife could do for a guy-she died! I still work on the vette and smile everytime I do.

Quick Reply: Problem after problem....