Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'80 c3????

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:55 AM
scoty
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never talk money until you are face to face with money in hand. I won't even discuss the price with a seller until I am standing in front of him and have looked at the car. His asking is 8800 let it stand till you see it.

Decide what your top dollar is and stand firm. If 8000 is all you will pay be prepared to walk away trailer and all. I have done that on a couple cars. And besides I will not pay full asking just off principle. The seller has to drop the price something for me to buy.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 PM
paul1972
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 80 c3

I prefer the 72 and under cars, but I really think the 1980 corvette had beautiful curves and the front end really ties in very well. These cars will definitely increase in value in the coming years. These were not intended to be muscle cars, but a well rounded touring car.
The car looks good, but pictures always make a car look better. I bought a 65 Falcon off Evilbay a few years ago and I just pulled the trigger without looking at it. The owner was honest and sent me a lot of pics and answered all my questions. He had it towed to me for free about 2 hours away. I missed a lot of things that were overlooked. Frame was slightly bent in front, trans was slipping and was cobbled together. You should look at a lot of corvette books and even at some supply magazines. It gives you a good idea of what things cost as you look over the car.
As always it's fun buying any corvette, but please look it over, take notes and pics, then make a deal Good Luck and keep us in the loop. Merry Xmas
Old 12-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Brack....thanx 4 the email!

To everyone who replied.....I REALLY appreciate all the info, and will act accordingly.

I have spent a LOTTA time the last few days looking at a LOTTA Vettes....and IF this one has 37k miles, and IF it's as good as the pics show, AND I can really check it over, I will
probably go w/ offering $7,000 w/ a high of $8,000.
I've asked him about locating a gas station w/ a lift so I can inspect the btm. really GOOD, and of course I'll pay for the charge of the station doing so....but haven't gotten a reply back yet.....and w/ it being Jan. 1st when we're tentatively going to go there, I'm not sure what the chances of that might be....I told my wife I may just throw my car ramps in the truck & drive the car up on them if "push comes to shove"......I'm not going to feel real comfortable unless I CAN look at the bottom side real well.
I'll ya' all know how this whole scenario pans out......
Old 12-25-2014, 07:49 PM
PHIL 68
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't take a trailer it shows commitment on your part, check for local uhaul before you go you can likely rent for under 150.00 one way Phil
Old 12-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Originally Posted by PHIL 68
I wouldn't take a trailer it shows commitment on your part, check for local uhaul before you go you can likely rent for under 150.00 one way Phil
You've got a good point!!
Only thing is this will be on Jan. 1st.....not sure if ANY Uhaul's will be open that day....maybe I should consider going on a NON-HOLIDAY day!!
Old 12-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

There aren't any real closeup pictures but I can see some serious stains/discolouration on the carpet. I think its highly unlikely this is 37,000 original miles, if it was it would likely have been sold already.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Take two vehicles . Drop truck with trailer off at grocery store & go with other vehicle to look at car .
Old 12-26-2014, 12:26 AM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack c
Take two vehicles . Drop truck with trailer off at grocery store & go with other vehicle to look at car .
Taking 2 vehicles may not be practical but I am sure you could find a place to park a trailer while you look at the car.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:35 AM
80-Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
Brack....thanx 4 the email!

To everyone who replied.....I REALLY appreciate all the info, and will act accordingly.

I have spent a LOTTA time the last few days looking at a LOTTA Vettes....and IF this one has 37k miles, and IF it's as good as the pics show, AND I can really check it over, I will
probably go w/ offering $7,000 w/ a high of $8,000.
I've asked him about locating a gas station w/ a lift so I can inspect the btm. really GOOD, and of course I'll pay for the charge of the station doing so....but haven't gotten a reply back yet.....and w/ it being Jan. 1st when we're tentatively going to go there, I'm not sure what the chances of that might be....I told my wife I may just throw my car ramps in the truck & drive the car up on them if "push comes to shove"......I'm not going to feel real comfortable unless I CAN look at the bottom side real well.
I'll ya' all know how this whole scenario pans out......
That is great you are going to make your offer at 7,000 but when he comes back at 8,000 remember you have nothing to lose by saying I will give you 7,500 right now. All he can say is no but if he does agree that $500 would more than pay your trip there and back.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:18 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

I will more than likely take a trailer & find a good place to lock it up not far from the guy's place.

I am REALLY concerned now that the car only has 37k miles!! I've asked for some REAL confirmation, but haven't got a reply back yet....I'm about to call him rather than emailing like I have been, as it's a week from yesterday that we're supposed to be there!!
IF it does have 137k, I'm not even gonna waste my time with it.....but would like to know for SURE B4 I take off!!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

FYI - the GM R4 A/C compressor are POS and have a habit of leaking from the front seals. Keep in mind this car may need a new compessor.

Also the car has RWL Goodyear Eagle GT II's on it. I don't believe Goodyear has made a RWL tire in quite a few years. These tires may be 10+ years old and shouldn't be driven on.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

I'm not sure what your budget is, but as is the case with all vette's, you would be better off paying more money up front for a nicer/better maintained car than a "cheap buy" have to fix everything kind of car.

Last edited by Revi; 12-26-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 AM
80-Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
I will more than likely take a trailer & find a good place to lock it up not far from the guy's place.

I am REALLY concerned now that the car only has 37k miles!! I've asked for some REAL confirmation, but haven't got a reply back yet....I'm about to call him rather than emailing like I have been, as it's a week from yesterday that we're supposed to be there!!
IF it does have 137k, I'm not even gonna waste my time with it.....but would like to know for SURE B4 I take off!!
Even if the car has 137K it would still be considered a low mileage car. The car is 35 years old and it is highly unlikely it was owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:46 PM
paul1972
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how hard it is to walk away, but remember there always will be another car available. I think at $ 7000 to $ 7500 with a really clean frame that would be an excellent price. I think at low mileage car you would see mostly original items that were not changed. You can haggle and still be polite, not everyone has the money to buy a car out right.
Of course the car will need work, but what a great start. Good Luck and I hope the New Year brings you a Corvette !!
Old 12-27-2014, 01:45 PM
c3cruzn
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my 1980 and I love it. I picked the 80 because I like the big back window, molded flares and, last year of the carburetor. Drives and handles great. Mine is a L48 automatic with a few upgrades and is plenty quick and fast. I have also won a couple trophies with it. I would rather had a stick but my wife talked me out of it so she could drive it. No regrets here and I have not heard it's the worse vette either. When buying a corvette it's all about budget, what you can afford, and what you like. I have had plenty of people walk up to me at stores and talk about their vette or the one they had. The one your buying sounds like a good deal. Make sure you look at it before you pay, you don't want someone else's headache. Welcome aboard and have fun.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

THANX C3CRUZN!!

This is a NICE lookin' machine! I am encouraged by your comments!

Again, my ONLY real concern on this car is that the guy is tellin' me the truth 'bout the 37k miles....NOT 137k miles!!
Old 12-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Even if it is 137k miles (and it probably is) somewhere around the 8k mark isn't a bad price if its in decent shape.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I think he's about $2,000 too high on his price. But you have to do that on Craigslist to avoid low ballers

Get notified of new replies

To '80 c3????

Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
I think he's about $2,000 too high on his price. But you have to do that on Craigslist to avoid low ballers
So you can find clean '80 Vettes for $6400? Not around here... $8400 is lower than the asking on most of them on Austin CL by about $2000. And 4 speed cars get a bit of a premium around here. I suspect the $8400 is more like what you might be able to get one for in these parts after some negotiation... but I would suspect in most cases that will get you a car that needs a bit of work.

Last edited by softwarejanitor; 12-27-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Well, here's the latest:
I don't hafta worry bout negotiating....I sent him another e-mail today after not hearing from him on my last 2 messages....about a week ago....R U Ready 4 his reply??......

"I'm tired of all the questions, and am not going to sell to you right now"....

WTF!!!!!!?????

I sent back a reply saying that "I am REALLY sorry, but this was to be my FIRST VETTE, and I wanted to cover all my bases"........

Really caught me off guard....My wife said the same thing I was thinking after I read his reply....that he may well be hiding something and didn't want to address my last questions....and that "It wasn't meant to be!"

SO....the search is continuing.....
Old 12-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Could be a blessing in disguise . Just remember , lots of fish in the sea .
On a side note , if I was selling mine , I would welcome all the questions . Could be hidden stuff he didn't want to disclose .

Quick Reply: '80 c3????