Sponsored by:

front bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 05:22 AM
vette_20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bumpers

Hi has any one had trouble fitting front bumpers to a 75 corvette, not as difficult but just not fitting correct.
I have recently sent my 75 to local restoration /hot rod builder , to have mine fitted ,they purchased one from Ecklers and when trying to fit said it was way out . and could not make it fit so just repaired my original one. It is an insurance job and I wish they told me while off so I could see but they just talked to insurance company . I thought any of the 75 bumpers should be the same in the add It say these are easy to fit eg extract from add . Reason for asking I might buy from them as in a year or so would like to do a full respray and body work and would like to change it then.
regards Ian

extract from ecklers add
Superior To Original Urethane Flex-Fit Fiberglass Allows For Ease Of Installation Must Use Retainers P/N 34657 Made In The USA At first glance, all aftermarket fiberglass bumpers may look the same
Old 12-25-2014, 06:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Sadly some chest thumping shops have more ego that skills,
I ran into more than I could count looking for someone to swap out my frame,
I have used tons of Ecklers stuff and car to car some needed more than others to fit but :in general" Ecklers stuff always fits pretty darn close,
Perhaps the shop isnt all that vette savvy and wanted a bolt on no fuss fit, that seldom happens 100% with any glass part being added to a car it didnt come off of...
Dont do as I would but I would have a little song and dance for that shop if they got a part for my car said it didnt fit but didnt let me see any of it and went in my opinion "over my head" to the insurance company. sounds rather shady to me...
When my wide body got hit in 90 I was the one the shop talked to first then insurance company,
Old 12-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Aumie
Advanced

I had trouble with my 74's front bumper. I ended up glassing in the front and rear seams. It's not for everybody but I love the seamless look.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:50 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

J&D Corvettes. They are the original source for a lot of C3 body panels, including front and rear bumpers. There are other manufacturers of these panels apparently. J&D are forum sponsors. One of their specialties is fitting their fiberglass "bumpers" onto 73 and up Corvettes. The original factory rubber bumpers didn't fit the bodies just all that well..as you can see by looking at originals. Their fiberglass artisans can blend in the repro fiberglass bumpers into the stock bodies seaminglessly. Vette Magazine had an article about this a couple of months ago.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:38 AM
vette_20
Instructor

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Sadly some chest thumping shops have more ego that skills,
I ran into more than I could count looking for someone to swap out my frame,
I have used tons of Ecklers stuff and car to car some needed more than others to fit but :in general" Ecklers stuff always fits pretty darn close,
Perhaps the shop isnt all that vette savvy and wanted a bolt on no fuss fit, that seldom happens 100% with any glass part being added to a car it didnt come off of...
Dont do as I would but I would have a little song and dance for that shop if they got a part for my car said it didnt fit but didnt let me see any of it and went in my opinion "over my head" to the insurance company. sounds rather shady to me...
When my wide body got hit in 90 I was the one the shop talked to first then insurance company,

thanks will be when picking up after Christmas
just wanted my facts right before in case different models were different ,I cant see why they could not have altered it ,any way find out Monday when I pick it up
thanks ian
Old 12-26-2014, 08:14 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by vette_20
thanks will be when picking up after Christmas
just wanted my facts right before in case different models were different ,I cant see why they could not have altered it ,any way find out Monday when I pick it up
thanks ian
Many shops simply are not old vette savvy, ego will not allow them to admit it, I didn't see the part or the fit but I have seen too many bumpers from Ecklers and others and simply have never seen one that could not be "adjusted" to fit

Get notified of new replies

To front bumpers

Quick Reply: front bumpers