Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your C3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:50 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

After more than two years finally have the A/C working! Neighbor with the tools, knowledge and stash of R12 repaid many favors after I'd replaced the compressor and paid (unusual for me) to have the accumulator replaced.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:29 PM
V4motorsports
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Replaced the RR shock. What a PITA!!!! The upper sleeve was rusted onto the bolt. Took me quite awhile before I was able to break it loose.

Need to replace the LR tomorrow before heading out to Carlisle.

Russ
Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

somebody bought a low mileage ruby 93 convertible?

how is door gunner fairing in that mess down there?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:41 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the process of throwing heater vent parts all over my garage... or at least, that's how it seems.
I decided that since I've taken my '74 down to the frame and rebuilt everything else, I probably should at least inspect the heater core. My plans are to take it to a local radiator shop where the proprietor will most likely tell me to replace it at which point I'll no doubt be charged some kind of fortune.
BTW, on a related note. I saw the post that claims that there are links to video's that others have posted regarding the R&R of the heater core. I tried but it was a "broken link". That's okay, I'm figuring it out.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:58 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Heater box is out, heater core has green stuff all over it so it has obviously been leaking, and the white plastic attachment point for the blend door (I think that's it) is broken. Can I buy just that or do I need an entire heater box? I've looked on a couple sites but since I don't know the proper terminology, I imagine I'll never get to the right place.
Also:
I saw that people have warned about Chinese heater cores, are the aluminum cores from China? Does aluminum work well for heater cores?
Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Msbfdx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The_pakettle
Heater box is out, heater core has green stuff all over it so it has obviously been leaking, and the white plastic attachment point for the blend door (I think that's it) is broken. Can I buy just that or do I need an entire heater box? I've looked on a couple sites but since I don't know the proper terminology, I imagine I'll never get to the right place.
Also:
I saw that people have warned about Chinese heater cores, are the aluminum cores from China? Does aluminum work well for heater cores?
A common problem. I was told the plastic part was not available and not being produced. I then did a functional "bubba" repair that is holding up fine (see photos).
The following users liked this post:
The_pakettle (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 01:28 AM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Msbfdx
A common problem. I was told the plastic part was not available and not being produced. I then did a functional "bubba" repair that is holding up fine
Call me "Bubba", I'll do that in the morning. I just happen to have some good quality epoxy waiting to be mixed.
I noticed that the mechanism is a bit difficult to operate and can't help but wonder if that's why the piece broke in the first place. Is there any guidance on how to adjust the linkage so that it operates a bit more smoothly? I can "Bubba" that part too if necessary, but if someone has already been down that road, I'd be willing to accept a little guidance.

Last edited by The_pakettle; 08-27-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Call me "Bubba", I'll do that in the morning. I just happen to have some good quality epoxy waiting to be mixed.
I noticed that the mechanism is a bit difficult to operate and can't help but wonder if that's why the piece broke in the first place. Is there any guidance on how to adjust the linkage so that it operates a bit more smoothly? I can "Bubba" that part too if necessary, but if someone has already been down that road, I'd be willing to accept a little guidance.
Lube EVERYTHING that moves. That really made the difference on mine.
The_pakettle (08-28-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:25 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

My friend Carter put a new rear caliper on my car.

He got me back on the road

Then I cruised the beach
Old 08-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Msbfdx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You should lube everything up...linkage-pivot points etc. Semi related is cable from temp controller to the top of the heater box. It can be lubed, but a weak point is the plastic tab that holds the cable housing to the controller frame in center console.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I took the '81 out to a charity car show this morning.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:00 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Msbfdx
You should lube everything up...linkage-pivot points etc. Semi related is cable from temp controller to the top of the heater box. It can be lubed, but a weak point is the plastic tab that holds the cable housing to the controller frame in center console.
I'll do that. Planning on a graphite based lube since I don't want petroleum based lube to dry out with the extra heat. If anyone has a better suggestion, please tell me before I put it all back together. I don't really want to take the dashboard apart again.

I'm wondering if the white plastic part shown above failed because some of the doors are sticking.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Bubba visited my garage today. I used almost a half tube of epoxy and shaped a piece of flat-bar aluminum into a fork to hold the piece in place, then I put the epoxy over the whole thing. I am reasonably confident that it will work... I hope.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:28 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I took the '81 out to a charity car show this morning.

I'm sure you can't see it from here, but I'm a bit green with envy.
Very nice.
Street Rat (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 AM
Deco77
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update for the past few weeks. Got a much need center console arm rest from Ecklers corvette. Great color match and much added comfort. Cleaned it up a little myself then had a friend at a dealership give it a good exterior detail for Carlisle. Spent all day Friday up there, got the tops off for a pretty nice 2 hour cruise then put her away again until this upcoming weekend. Also picked up a pair of exhaust tips from Corvette America while I up there, cleans up the rear of the car really well. Most time I got to spend in the car since a got it, this last week, great weekend spent

Last edited by Deco77; 08-29-2016 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Wasted two hours and nearly broke an A/C line to pull the blower motor on my '77 for this "fan Upgrade" non-sense that is out there on the forum. Fan will neither mount to original motor, nor even fit inside the hole in the fire wall. Now that I have spent all this time getting it out, I feel the need to replace it completely to lessen the chance of having to pull it again. Well, there goes $70 and a Sunday afternoon....
Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Dreamed of driving , as I sat on the couch nursing a bad cold 🙁

Get notified of new replies

To What did you do to your C3 today?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 AM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Had a few more brackets powder coated and the motor is getting really close to being done. Just waiting for new spark plug wires.

For those who may be wondering about that old oil filter covered with overspray, it is there for the time being. A new AC Delco filter will be installed at the last minute.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:52 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

I picked up my heater core at the radiator shop and I'm putting the heater box back together. Using a liberal amount of epoxy on the broken housing pieces, and trying to find where all of those gaskets go that came with the kit. A detailed diagram would be nice.
The radiator shop guy said that he had definitely seen worse. It's been flushed, sealed and pressure tested.
I'm a happy guy.

Last edited by The_pakettle; 08-31-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

GPS Mounted and wired

Bracket slides off when not needed and the wire tucks back into the heater duct opening. Still needs to have the paint touched up but that can wait at this point.
M
73TexasVette (09-01-2016)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C3 today?