Sponsored by:

Dash questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:09 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Dash questions

This is in regards to my 77. I purchased new dash vent ***** and the felt seal kit which has 4 seals in it, I have removed the pass side dash and see one seal where the vent fits in but I don't see where the 2nd seal goes, anybody have any ideas? Also this project started with needing to replace the tach board and has turned into a new h/l switch, a new center gauge bezel,center console panel new a/c vents, and various other bits and I still haven't replaced the board yet as it's still sitting on my desk. Anyway are there any other parts I should consider replacing since everything is out now.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

The seals should be the only things actually touching the vent ball, one at the dash side of the cage, the other at the rear so when it rotates it's protected by the felts.

Most people agree the new felts are too thick and need to be trimmed to fit properly
HIH
M

Last edited by Mooser; 01-11-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 PM
danh77
Pro

Originally Posted by Mooser
The seals should be the only things actually touching the vent ball, one at the dash, the other at the rear "cage" so when it rotates it's protected by the felts.

Most people agree the new felts are too thick and need to be trimmed to fit properly
HIH
M
Thanks I thought that's where they went but way to thick. I will trim them down
Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You don't need to remove anything to swap out the vent ***** and seals. Turn the vent ball so that the openings are facing side-to-side. Then, just pull the ball out of its socket. Now you can scrape-off/remove the old seals, clean the surface well with a volatile cleaner (paint thinner, etc), install the new seals, and push the new ***** in place (reverse of removal method).

I chose not to use the foam seals because they would just crumble into dust like the others. I got a piece of black felt, cut several 1/4" wide strips, and used double-sided fabric tape (very thin and sticky; get it at a fabric store) to install the felt seals. They work great and won't disintegrate. They also won't scratch up the new 'chrome' *****.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:39 PM
danh77
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You don't need to remove anything to swap out the vent ***** and seals. Turn the vent ball so that the openings are facing side-to-side. Then, just pull the ball out of its socket. Now you can scrape-off/remove the old seals, clean the surface well with a volatile cleaner (paint thinner, etc), install the new seals, and push the new ***** in place (reverse of removal method).

I chose not to use the foam seals because they would just crumble into dust like the others. I got a piece of black felt, cut several 1/4" wide strips, and used double-sided fabric tape (very thin and sticky; get it at a fabric store) to install the felt seals. They work great and won't disintegrate. They also won't scratch up the new 'chrome' *****.
I have already removed the dash panels for other projects I am into but thanks for the heads up on the removal trick. I bought new foam seals also but have decided like you to use felt. I happened to have a partial roll which came with an adhesive backing, cut to length installed and now I can actually adjust the vent where the new seals I had bought held it so tight you couldn't move it at all
Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Good job!

You may also want to refurb and replace the seal on the right-side kickpanel vent door, while you're at it. Odds are that the seal is shot and you are getting heat into the cabin from the engine compartment. If you have already refurbed it, great. If not, and you want some tips on what seal material to use and how to do the job with ease, ask here or send me a PM.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-14-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash questions

Quick Reply: Dash questions