Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you buy turn key or project?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Reeltales
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread... I am going to look at a 77 on Sunday. The interior needs a lot of help... seats, door panels, floor pans and carpet... exterior needs some bodywork and paint. I know the car runs and drives but needs brake restoration. I should be able to get it bought for around $1600. As long as the frame is not rusted out, I think it would make a good project.. I understand the cost of parts as I have a 67 that started as a project. I will post pics if I get the car bought.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reeltales
Great thread... I am going to look at a 77 on Sunday. The interior needs a lot of help... seats, door panels, floor pans and carpet... exterior needs some bodywork and paint. I know the car runs and drives but needs brake restoration. I should be able to get it bought for around $1600. As long as the frame is not rusted out, I think it would make a good project.. I understand the cost of parts as I have a 67 that started as a project. I will post pics if I get the car bought.
Just passing on a piece of advice given me after I bought my 76: if the floor pans are rusted odds are you have birdcage rust. Make sure you take a look at the #2 body mounts behind the kick panels and around the windshield.

Good Luck.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Kelleyo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car was neither a project or turn key. It is a survivor. Mechanically perfect (fiber optics, wipers, etc all work). I do not plan to restore or paint or rebuild or modify or customize. I am keeping her in survivor condition.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 AM
blunblk68
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

nothing turnkey about mine!!!
i saw it for sale on craigslist and just felt it needed saving??
I was a kid in the 70`s and just always loved the crazy wild custom vettes from that era and thought this would be an excellent cantidate for a 70`s custom build for myslef without destroying a good solid original car.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stom-74-a.html
Old 01-24-2015, 07:19 PM
ScottE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 69 in 2001 sight un-seen for $7500.00. I was told it had been sitting for several years and the condition was original numbers matching, but that was about all the person representing it knew. After picking it up I unloaded it from the trailer and began evaluating it’s condition.

It came with a bunch of NOS parts in boxes, owners manual and protect-o-plate. The paint is a 20 footer, interior needs carpet, and cleaning. I changed the oil, tune up, rebuilt the carb, changed brake fluid, drained the fuel tank(used that fuel in my lawn mower) and It fired right up.

Up until 2009 I didn’t do anything other than a yearly oil change to it. I had a RR wheel bearing go out and I didn’t have the time or money to fix it. Last year I finally got tired of having it sit so I got busy and started working on it. I sent the trailing arms out to get rebuilt, replaced the brake master cylinder, calipers and rotors, rebuilt the bushings in the front suspension, rag joint, new shocks and tires. It still needs a bunch of stuff and I will get around to it as time and money allows. For now I can jump in it and drive any time I want too and that’s all that matters to me.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought mine, some assembly required. PO got as far as getting the body on the frame, second pic and stopped. He had cut out the body panels and bought a set of flares. I figured for what I could afford to pay, Id end up taking it apart anyway, so this way I skipped a few steps. Mainly the rusty greasy steps.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

Bought my first 82 as a project, was stationed on SoCal and...I'm not making this up...original owner was making a career change to become a masseuse and her massage table wouldn't fit in the car (take a moment and then bring your mind back to this post...) so I picked up a well used, 150K mile 82 to drive and restore.

After fixing something on the car the next part downstream would fail...we've all been there. After 5 years of a working on the car and looking forward to a $10K paint job (two tone cars are twice the fun when it comes to painting) I finally decided to sell and get a C5 Z06. Problem is, every time I'd search for a C5 I'd end up looking at late C3s.

After months of searching, one day I found my current 82 online for sale in FL. Two owner, 22K mile original car IDENTICAL to my first 82, inside and out! Pulled the trigger and never looked back. It's like I restored my 150K mile car but saved literally thousands of dollars and time.

The first weekend I had her home I got to torque 20 bolts...rotated the tires! I like driving them although right now she's on jack stands as the 33 year old radiator is out for repair.

Oh, and I got my C5 Z a couple of years later too.

Last edited by 2TONE82; 01-25-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Did you buy turn key or project?