Sponsored by:

Front Clip

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WYO69vette
Here are some pictures I hope. The front clip that is on the car needs to be lower by the door on both sides. The Police verified that the vin is for a 1969. The frame in front has a tube running across the frame that holds vacuum which I believe was available for 69. I don't know where else to look. The bonding strips on the back side you can see where they are and I thought at first that it was pin stripping. The inside the Speedometer is 73 and the tach was 73 White instead of green. I think what happen was someone was restoring from both a 69 and 73 and threw pieces together and gave up. I have some more pictures but they are in AZ. I thought about having the current clip lower by the doors and live with it but really want the bumper front. Thanks everyone so far for your advise.

Bud
Did you ever consider you have a 1973 that someone switched the Vin and door trim tag from a 69 onto? You have a lot of '73 on that car, front clip, back clip, tach and Speedo, all 73!

Does it have Fiber Optics in it as I don't think they had them in '73, but a 69 would have them. Does it have the push in to turn off, seat belt warning light on the center dash?

It also looks like it doesn't have '69 stainless window trim along the pillar posts and along the rear of the door jams it doesn't have the dripper strip, or whatever they call it.

Last edited by RobRace10; 01-17-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 PM
WYO69vette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front clip

Originally Posted by RobRace10
Did you ever consider you have a 1973 that someone switched the Vin and door trim tag from a 69 onto? You have a lot of '73 on that car, front clip, back clip, tach and Speedo, all 73!

Does it have Fiber Optics in it as I don't think they had them in '73, but a 69 would have them.
Yes it has Fiber Optics not all of them work, and when I had the rear spindles replace in a Corvette Place in Colorado I asked them to verify and they claim the vin number and door trim tag had not been changed. The console is a 69 along with the other gauges, just the tach and speedometer had white instead of green. I have AC/Heater controls that match wiring for a 69. Who knows for sure and appreciate your thinking. I wished I had some of the other pictures of the side of the corvette, They may have put the vacuum tube on the 69 frame, I had to replace all the vacuum parts for the headlights. Thanks

Bud
Old 01-17-2015, 10:43 PM
WYO69vette
Advanced

Yes it has Fiber Optics not all of them work, and when I had the rear spindles replace in a Corvette Place in Colorado I asked them to verify and they claim the vin number and door trim tag had not been changed. The console is a 69 along with the other gauges, just the tach and speedometer had white instead of green. I have AC/Heater controls that match wiring for a 69. Who knows for sure and appreciate your thinking. I wished I had some of the other pictures of the side of the corvette, They may have put the vacuum tube on the 69 frame, I had to replace all the vacuum parts for the headlights. Thanks

Bud
Also was told the car was a 427 at one time since the radiator was for a big block and the coil springs which I replaced were heavy duty and assumed because of a big motor???
Old 01-17-2015, 10:51 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Also was told the car was a 427 at one time since the radiator was for a big block and the coil springs which I replaced were heavy duty and assumed because of a big motor???
A 427 or 454 if it was, would have 3" axles, and different straps holding the yokes on as I recall.

550 Springs would be for a big block.

It's a nice looking car and I think that I would just drive it as is rather then spend the money and time to change the clip, repaint etc, it will cost you a fair amount of $$$ and time to do it and it will still have the wrong rear clip for a '69.

Otherwise sell it and find a different car, you would be probably be ahead in the long run.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Dad, I lost my Mom in August, she was 89 also. She held the record on tossing a Kirby Vacuum out the front door, she had asked my dad for a new one and finally she had enough and toss the Kirby. How hard is it doing the tilt? Will look up your site project.

Bud
Thanks
Will go hit your PM after this reply,
The tilt isn't "hard" just different, there are a couple threads on here people doing them, I have worked on them in the past and even on metal cars, on the c3 the rear fender piece that stays on the car when the hood part flips keeps the front door gaps nice,
Purists hate it just because,
Your car is pretty darn nice looking mine was too when I got it but I want what I want it's my build, I dont have the $$$ to buy what I want turn key and even if I did have the toad pelts what I want, what I am building is my idea of the perfect c3 I have not seen one built just like I desire ever so I fully support you making the car what "YOU" want it to be.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:34 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Frame Story:

In 1980, I ordered from GM parts, a frame for my 69. In due course of time, I received my "69" frame. I never used it. About 8 years ago, I decided to use it for my 70. I would build up a new roller on this frame, and then switch the body from the 70 original frame to my "69" frame.

We now start talking about front frame extensions. These mount the bumper to the frame. The front frame extensions for a 68 are unique. The front frame extensions for a 69 through 72 are the same. With my "69" NOS frame, neither the 70 front frame extensions would fit, and of course the 68's wouldn't either. Finally, Volunteer Vette..they sell a lot of frame parts..answered my questions. In 1973, and afterwards, if you ordered a 68 to 72 frame from GM parts, ...you got a 73 frame. So, my "69" frame is really a 73. For me to mount the 70 front frame extensions on my 73 frame, one mounting hole per side doesn't match up. I'll have to drill a new mounting hole, or just weld the 70 frame extensions on. For someone like me, getting my 70 frame extensions to fit is a nuisance. For a body shop, making a 73 frame work for 68 to 72 would be no problem.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:29 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I got a GM replacement frame in 1988 for my 68. The frames are actually for a 1974. In 1975 the frames changed a lot for the bumper pistons.
I had to remove a couple of brackets welded on in the back. Three months later, The dealer told me that the were discontinued! I really got lucky that time. It was many years later that they started to reproduce stock frames, and for a lot more money. Lou.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Frame Story:

In 1980, I ordered from GM parts, a frame for my 69. In due course of time, I received my "69" frame. I never used it. About 8 years ago, I decided to use it for my 70. I would build up a new roller on this frame, and then switch the body from the 70 original frame to my "69" frame.

We now start talking about front frame extensions. These mount the bumper to the frame. The front frame extensions for a 68 are unique. The front frame extensions for a 69 through 72 are the same. With my "69" NOS frame, neither the 70 front frame extensions would fit, and of course the 68's wouldn't either. Finally, Volunteer Vette..they sell a lot of frame parts..answered my questions. In 1973, and afterwards, if you ordered a 68 to 72 frame from GM parts, ...you got a 73 frame. So, my "69" frame is really a 73. For me to mount the 70 front frame extensions on my 73 frame, one mounting hole per side doesn't match up. I'll have to drill a new mounting hole, or just weld the 70 frame extensions on. For someone like me, getting my 70 frame extensions to fit is a nuisance. For a body shop, making a 73 frame work for 68 to 72 would be no problem.

Okay so in my case I am using a 68 chassis/frame I saved the frame extentions that were on my old 69 frame, are you saying the 69 extension will not fit my 68 frame?
Wouldnt I just have to drill holes in the extensions to match the holes in the 68 frame?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 PM
WYO69vette
Advanced

Default front clip

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Okay so in my case I am using a 68 chassis/frame I saved the frame extentions that were on my old 69 frame, are you saying the 69 extension will not fit my 68 frame?
Wouldnt I just have to drill holes in the extensions to match the holes in the 68 frame?
Sounds like to me that this is going to be more fun than hitting Frogs with a Hammer and about as Bloody. I will check it out when I get back to AZ where I have the brackets and car. Thanks for the informaton.

Bud
Old 01-19-2015, 11:32 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Hmm. Best I remember, the 68 frame extensions will not fit on a 70...I have a real 70 frame. If they won't fit on a 70, I'm pretty sure they won't fit on a 69. I think..not sure...that you can adapt the 69 extensions to the 68 frame with minor mods.

Best to do is to get the body on top of your 68 frame and then work out the fitment issues. Even with a stock car with all stock parts, things may not fit well. If you've got a non-year part, things are even more probablematical. I think with whatever fitment problem with your 69 frame extension is, is probably not that much of a problem. If worse comes to worse, you can always buy a salvage 68 frame extension part. (J&D Corvettes).

I just had my 68 painted. I paid a lot of money to have the rear quarter panel, door, and convertible lid to match up. Also to get the door "creases" to match up with the body, and to get the stock hood to match the stock body. This was just to get stock body parts to match up!!! Factory fit for the 68's was pretty terrible.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Hmm. Best I remember, the 68 frame extensions will not fit on a 70...I have a real 70 frame. If they won't fit on a 70, I'm pretty sure they won't fit on a 69. I think..not sure...that you can adapt the 69 extensions to the 68 frame with minor mods.

Best to do is to get the body on top of your 68 frame and then work out the fitment issues. Even with a stock car with all stock parts, things may not fit well. If you've got a non-year part, things are even more probablematical. I think with whatever fitment problem with your 69 frame extension is, is probably not that much of a problem. If worse comes to worse, you can always buy a salvage 68 frame extension part. (J&D Corvettes).

I just had my 68 painted. I paid a lot of money to have the rear quarter panel, door, and convertible lid to match up. Also to get the door "creases" to match up with the body, and to get the stock hood to match the stock body. This was just to get stock body parts to match up!!! Factory fit for the 68's was pretty terrible.
As far as sitting my 69 body on the 68 chassis no issues at all, it will have to be shimmed like any c3 and in my case my front clip will be tilt so that removes many fitment issues, I even had tommy add the rear frame braces that early 68 didnt have, the rest is the same, well, I guess 68 had unique frame extentions and I have 69 extentions, if they will fit up to the frame like the 68 extentions then worse case I drill a few holes...where are the purists when I need one....
If I had the car here I could answer the question in 30 seconds...
Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Assuming the parts houses knew what year was which I grabbed some pictures and made a little comparison...

Seems in these just holes are slightly different....
Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think that the 69 holes should be that big! That looks Bubba'd to me! I think that a 68 frame has longer front frame horns, to hold the 63-67 style radiator support, that they mistakenly crammed into an innocent 68. The company that I worked for made 60-82 radiator supports. I started there in 1974 and worked there for 34 years and GM never had us make a service 68 radiator support. Lou.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by loup68
I don't think that the 69 holes should be that big! That looks Bubba'd to me! I think that a 68 frame has longer front frame horns, to hold the 63-67 style radiator support, that they mistakenly crammed into an innocent 68. The company that I worked for made 60-82 radiator supports. I started there in 1974 and worked there for 34 years and GM never had us make a service 68 radiator support. Lou.
That's what found on google for it, how about you post what you believe they should look like...it would be a great help
Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm an old fart that is not that tech savvy, going to be 68 in April and I don't even want to think about it! If it don't hurt, it don't work, ouch!
Check Paragon or Zip or Corvette Central on line catalog pictures. They were reproducing both 68 and 69-72 front frame extensions.
The holes should be closer to the size of the 68 one. Lou.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

WYO69vette, You really do have a beautiful looking car. Maybe as suggested you should keep it as is. A lot of people like the 73 look. Your seats look like 69's without the headrests. Lou.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I'm an old fart that is not that tech savvy, going to be 68 in April and I don't even want to think about it! If it don't hurt, it don't work, ouch!
Check Paragon or Zip or Corvette Central on line catalog pictures. They were reproducing both 68 and 69-72 front frame extensions.
The holes should be closer to the size of the 68 one. Lou.
Ones I saw on google seemed to have larger holes as do the ones sold by paragon,

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-36...ension-rh.aspx

Get notified of new replies

To Front Clip

Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

They are a little larger on the Paragon one, but the first 69 example was obviously used, you can see the marks from the special toothed washers on it and someone really opened up the holes. I'm just trying to keep you guys straight. Lou.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:38 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

They are a little larger on the Paragon one, but the first 69 example was obviously used, you can see the marks from the special toothed washers on it and someone really opened up the holes. I'm just trying to keep you guys straight. Lou.
I made my point and will rest with it, I am not wanting to get into semantics like "little" larger, or do another photoshop to show just how close in size they are,
only a purists needing 100% factory correct will care if a hole is 1/16th larger, my point was my 69's will work on the 68 frame,
Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Nice car Bud!

Originally Posted by bj1k
Nice 69 to start with Bats . I see it already has the rear fender flares to accommodate the wider tires.
I don't care for the looks of flares on C3s but I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out that this one has flares even though I've seen pictures of it a number of times. Understated flares like that don't look out of place at all.

Quick Reply: Front Clip