rear deck vents

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by red topless gator
Paul
Very nice. Where did you get that gas lid?
A Forum member made that for me several years ago. I hesitate to mention his name without permission.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Not even close. I already had some of the aluminum stock, and I got the stainless for free. My CNC guy is a retired GM "toolie" that does fabrication out of his home garage shop for very reasonable rates. I did the polishing.

Total cost was just under $100

Your CNC guy is worth his weight in platinum! I was pricing them according to shop rates (If I went to a local Machine Shop with a drawing of what I needed......BAM!.......$400)...........

For example....a piece of billet aluminum/a handful of S.S. allen screws/a sharp-looking Corvette emblem/shop labor..................

"Nice $200 gas cap you have there Mister!"

(The above is a compliment for the mods you created....and the ability to get quality machine work dirt-cheap!)

Now..........what happened to BATS?!?

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-23-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:04 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm with you

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
One of the many improvements they made in 77, get rid of these leaf and dirt collectors.
I'm in the middle of stripping my 68 for a repaint, and I'm leaning on the idea of glassin' them over for a smooth looking decklid, and getting rid of those dirt and leaf collecting eye sores. Just my opinion though. I don't like them at all, and I doubt they work after 47 years anyway.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:09 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher60
I'm in the middle of stripping my 68 for a repaint, and I'm leaning on the idea of glassin' them over for a smooth looking decklid, and getting rid of those dirt and leaf collecting eye sores. Just my opinion though. I don't like them at all, and I doubt they work after 47 years anyway.
I am guessin' a slurry of pursists will tell you not to fill them in,
I am all about modding and support people making their car "theirs"
About 20 years ago I was helping a friend rebuild the 3 early c3's his dad got cheated on, my friend insisted on filling in the rear deck vents because in his mind they were pointless, at the time I knew almost nothing about them and went along with his plan, now that I do understand what they are and how they work on an AC car they are rather pointless. "eyesore" I believe like a lot of things that's in the "eye" of the beholder, on my car I doubt I will glass over them as I like some things like that in the vein of wiper doors, fiber optics but I would fix them where they didnt trap crap.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I doubt I will glass over them as I like some things like that in the vein of wiper doors, fiber optics but I would fix them where they didnt trap crap.
You could glass under them, so the vent would just sit in a shallow recess, and look like it was there doing something.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:14 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My 74 was a A/C coupe so they were non functional. I glassed them in for a smoother look, and really the only function they served was to collect dirt and water.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:16 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I like makin' it my own 2

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I am guessin' a slurry of pursists will tell you not to fill them in,
I am all about modding and support people making their car "theirs"
About 20 years ago I was helping a friend rebuild the 3 early c3's his dad got cheated on, my friend insisted on filling in the rear deck vents because in his mind they were pointless, at the time I knew almost nothing about them and went along with his plan, now that I do understand what they are and how they work on an AC car they are rather pointless. "eyesore" I believe like a lot of things that's in the "eye" of the beholder, on my car I doubt I will glass over them as I like some things like that in the vein of wiper doors, fiber optics but I would fix them where they didnt trap crap.
Wiper doors, a whole nother pain in my ***, but they are pretty cool when they work. I think I finally got mine operational. I just like my stuff pretty simple, with less fuss when it comes time to clean and wax. There's quite enough stuff to collect wax already. like the cowl vent. My 68 already has the fenders flared, exhaust exits in the rear center, different seats, so it is far from pure, but I like it, and I like it that some guys like to keep their stuff factory stock, but that's not me. I'm all about putting my little touch on it, cause I'll probably die in this vet anyway. Just can't see myself ever letting go of it. It's the newest car I own. Maybe I'm just a little crazy.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:28 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher60
Wiper doors, a whole nother pain in my ***, but they are pretty cool when they work. I think I finally got mine operational. I just like my stuff pretty simple, with less fuss when it comes time to clean and wax. There's quite enough stuff to collect wax already. like the cowl vent. My 68 already has the fenders flared, exhaust exits in the rear center, different seats, so it is far from pure, but I like it, and I like it that some guys like to keep their stuff factory stock, but that's not me. I'm all about putting my little touch on it, cause I'll probably die in this vet anyway. Just can't see myself ever letting go of it. It's the newest car I own. Maybe I'm just a little crazy.
You probably are.....between You, Bats, and me....maybe we could apply for Sub-Forum Status.........the "A L C Sub-Forum"

Quick Reply: rear deck vents