Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on obtaining a car inspector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Input on obtaining a car inspector?

This may not be the right forum for this post and if not please move it to the proper one...I may have a legitimate opportunity to purchase a steel bumper vette....What I will be looking for is a coupe...4 speed and air would be nice.....I don't care much about color or even condition of paint....What is an absolute must is a rust free frame and a no hit body.

Driver quality is OK and #'s matching would be nice but not necessary, but I don't want a shade tree hotrod. I prefer a stock look engine compartment.

Now for my real question....I will need help when it comes to inspecting the vehicle and I won't trust your typical used car inspector with this purchase...I don't want to buy sight unseen but my have to with today market....Not much out there in my neck of the woods. My budget will be between 15 to 20 grand.

What will be my options when it comes to finding an inspector and how much should I expect to spend....?

Brian
Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Brian,
If you want to hire someone who does pre-purchase inspections as a business I can make several suggestions.
Who you choose will likely depend on where the car you're considering is located. This will help keep his expenses down.
He will likely want to talk to you in detail too so he can determine, when he looks at the car, if it will meet your expectations.
If you'd like some names and phone numbers let me know. You can at least contact them in advance to find out what services they offer and what their fees and expenses are.
I wish your budget was at least $5000 more… it would buy a nicer 68-72 car.
Regards,
Alan

I just took a look at the latest NCRS DRIVELINE. There are twenty 68-72 cars for sale with just one below $20,000. Now these are cars described as having 'original' motors, but, it still makes me think your $ range may be a bit low.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Wee
Drifting

Thank you for the help Alan....If all goes well I should have my hands on the cash in about a month.

Brian
Old 01-26-2015, 01:53 PM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

As a point of reference I had a thorough pre purchase inspection done on a 72 last year in New Mexico for $350.00 It was done by a reputable Corvette restoration/repair shop.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Bocaguru
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Brian, I bought my 1973 convertible from a seller located in Virginia. I am in south Florida. I contacted (edited) Automobile Inspections... and they did an excellent job of inspection ( the seller told me the guy they sent for the inspection know more about Corvettes that anyone he had ever talked to), documentation, photos for me (140 photos), they appraised the car and gave me an official appraisal. When I decided to purchase the car, they handled the bill of sale, transfer of funds, and shipped the car to me. I highly recommend them, the whole transaction was flawless. I am very happy with the car too..

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-27-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Non Supporting Vendor link removed
Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

$350 to do an inspection on a car?
If you find one within 100mi. of Pittsburgh, Pa., PM me and I'll do it for free to help a brother out. I enjoy doing it and I've met some really nice people along the way in the four I've done for peeps on this forum.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Wee
Drifting

Thank ya'll for all the info both here in this post and via PM....So far I have about 1/2 the cash I need....It will most likely be spring before I get it all....So it's time for me to do plenty of reading on what to look for and avoid when it comes to the steel bumper baby.

If anyone knows of someone selling their vette to do kitchen remodel and needs some custom granite countertops...Maybe we could work out a deal.

Brian
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Contact Chuck Berge. He is in VA. He is the NCRS 1969 team leader. He can easily help you when you find the right car.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Input on obtaining a car inspector?

Quick Reply: Input on obtaining a car inspector?