Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:58 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Deluxe Door panel insert question

Hey--

So I'm looking into replacing my door panels (currently the standard ones) with the deluxe ones from Willcox (probably made by CA I'm assuming). In any case, I want to change out the insert from the wood (which I don't have any else in my car) to either black, silver, carbon fiber, etc, whatever I can find. How hard is this removal, or is it even possible without damaging the door? Like heat gun and pry?

The other question I had is, how do the window roller holes get made on these panels? None of the panels online show the holes, wasn't sure if there was a guide to make them or if you have to use the old panels. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Gazehound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor34
Hey--

So I'm looking into replacing my door panels (currently the standard ones) with the deluxe ones from Willcox (probably made by CA I'm assuming). In any case, I want to change out the insert from the wood (which I don't have any else in my car) to either black, silver, carbon fiber, etc, whatever I can find. How hard is this removal, or is it even possible without damaging the door? Like heat gun and pry?

The other question I had is, how do the window roller holes get made on these panels? None of the panels online show the holes, wasn't sure if there was a guide to make them or if you have to use the old panels. Thanks!
Taylor - On my 77 when I got new door panels, I had to transfer my existing hardware to the new ones. I have a black insert and I removed it using a heat gun, after I removed the insert from the old door, and used a good glue remover to clean up the insert. I installed a home made carbon fiber insert and it came out good.

Also the holes for the window roller and door handles on on the back side of the new door panel and are easily cut out.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:35 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Buying the trim with the wood grain installed, is a waist of your time and money. You'll be buying the wood grain, which you don't want to use, and you'll spend plenty of time trying to remove the adhesive from the trim pieces.

If you don't want the wood trim, buy the upper door trim for a 77. The 77's are the same as 70-76, except the wood grain area is painted black.

As far as the holes for your window cranks, I think they're already in the substrate. If I'm right, all you need to do is cut out the hole from the back.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:46 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
If you don't want the wood trim, buy the upper door trim for a 77. The 77's are the same as 70-76, except the wood grain area is painted black.
I just did this on my '75, to cover up the adhesive mess and button holes left by these hideous things after I removed them:

Bought these '77 inserts for $20/pair. They are self-stick, I just used a heat gun to help things along:

Old 01-28-2015, 04:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Several vendors offer various insert pieces (dark wood, light wood, black, etc.).
Old 01-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

My preference was black.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

There was a guy on ebay selling inserts in brushed aluminum, stainless, etc. but I haven't been able to find them anymore. Hope they get listed again.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I went ahead and ordered the normal doors per recommendations above. Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Deluxe Door panel insert question

Quick Reply: Deluxe Door panel insert question