Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Tail Lights?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 PM
AskingHollywood
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Tail Lights?

So I have a 1973 Corvette Stingray & i'm going to put in LED tail lights since my original ones are pretty dim. Will it be better to buy LED bulbs & put them in the existing lights or buy an LED tail light set?

Last edited by AskingHollywood; 01-30-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Better Wording
Old 01-30-2015, 11:39 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AskingHollywood
So I have a 1973 Corvette Stingray & i'm going to put in LED tail lights since my original ones are pretty dim. Will it be better to buy LED bulbs & put them in the existing lights or buy an LED tail light set?
I did both... my old tail lights were worn looking and I replaced them... and when I replaced the tail lights I switched to LED bulbs.

Caution though... when you switch to LED bulb you have to change your stock flasher to a digital flasher. The turn signal flasher is behind the passenger side dashpanel in the cabin.

You will also have to change the front turn signal and front and rear side marker lights. On the C3 Corvette the front side markers flash out of cycle with the front lights... something about the whole signal system drawing the same current - others can explain better than I.

You will end up buylng several varieties of bulbs as they come in red, amber, and clear for the various locations and different intensities.

Perhaps you would need to change the Hazzard flasher to a digital also. The hazzard flasher is up on the fuse panel.

In the bottom picture the reverse lamp that is clear has the LED bulb installed while the passenger side still has the incadescent bulb installed.

LED bulbs look great.

Carl
Attached Images   

Last edited by Carl in LA; 01-30-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 PM
AskingHollywood
Cruising

Originally Posted by Carl in LA
I did both... my old tail lights were worn looking and I replaced them... and when I replaced the tail lights I switched to LED bulbs.

Caution though... when you switch to LED bulb you have to change your stock flasher to a digital flasher. The turn signal flasher is behind the passenger side dashpanel in the cabin.

You will also have to change the front turn signal and front and rear side marker lights. On the C3 Corvette the front side markers flash out of cycle with the front lights... something about the whole signal system drawing the same current - others can explain better than I.

You will end up buylng several varieties of bulbs as they come in red, amber, and clear for the various locations and different intensities.

Perhaps you would need to change the Hazzard flasher to a digital also. The hazzard flasher is up on the fuse panel.

In the bottom picture the reverse lamp that is clear has the LED bulb installed while the passenger side still has the incadescent bulb installed.

LED bulbs look great.

Carl
Awesome! Thank you!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I used 2357 bulbs, much brighter than the 1157.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

here is another option that I did, there is a thread on it..

Old 01-31-2015, 12:53 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

I did the LED bulbs on my 69 and they're nice and bright. However a problem surfaced in that the original wiring brake and turn signals supplied different filaments on the RHS than the LHS. While it didn't seem to matter for the incandescents, there was a noticeable difference in intensity with the LED's. Fixed the problem with a simple trick so that the brake lights would be the brightest on both sides. I do not know if this wiring quirk is pervasive across many years.

Adding to what Carl-in-LA said, there are two kinds on digital flashers that appear identical but are not. Memory fails as to which is which, just be aware of one more thing to go wrong.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 PM
ANTS C3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by qwank
I used 2357 bulbs, much brighter than the 1157.

So, Qwank, you just swapped out the 1157 stock bulb for a 2357 bulb, I am assuming these are a NON-LED normal filament bulb. This may fix my dim lighting issue without creating other electrical issues in my 73'. Thanks
Old 12-28-2021, 10:15 AM
DSmith17!
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail lights

Originally Posted by Carl in LA

LED bulbs look great.

Carl
I wish there was a video here lol
Old 12-28-2021, 11:55 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 520 Likes on 350 Posts

I am using the Phillips bulbs. Expensive? Yes. But so is bodywork (been rear ended before).

Amazon Amazon

Get notified of new replies

To LED Tail Lights?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Tail Lights?