C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a repaint the wrong color hurt the resale value....?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:25 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Does a repaint the wrong color hurt the resale value....?

I know it would hurt the value compared the same quality stock color...But how much....? The 71 I'm going to look at was painted black and is supposed to be a very good quality.

Brian
Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Depends, if you are a numbers matching everything must be factory purist then it hurts value a lot,
If you are a modder who will do other thing non stock to the car it doesnt matter does it?
Since this is a car you are going to look at, trying to use color change as a point to reduce price will work less and less depending on how original the rest of the car is, then we get to the point where a resto rod that is built real nice might be worth more than it's stock counterpark unless it's was some rare car like a 69 L-88 or 71 454 high hp beast,
But investmentwise...vettes are not a good one.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:28 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
But investmentwise...vettes are not a good one.
But they sure are fun to drive and work on! I have to agree with Bats on this, if you are going for NCRS judging, yeah its a deal breaker and will lower the value. Mine is not orginal by any means, differnt engine, suspension mods, Interior mods, and paint. My car was 976 Lemans Blue, it is now Jet Steam Metalic Sky Blue. I could never sell it as orginal, but then again, I never plan on selling it.
Two ways to restore a car,
1. Orginal.
2. How you want it.
If you want it orginal, its still option one.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:25 AM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts

While it could hurt the resale down the road, it could benefit you NOW in the form of a lower purchase price should you chose to use it as a negotiating point. It is really difficult to give you a dollar value as to how much less without additional details about the particular car in question.

Last edited by AkrHack; 02-01-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Wee,
You asked "how much".
For someone who's interested in "originality" and having the car 'judged' in the future the black paint would decrease the value of the car by the cost of having it repainted in it's original color. So maybe $7500 to $10,000.
It might be a moot point though depending on what the rest of the car is like and how original it is.
It could be that on the car you're looking at, a "very good quality" black paint job is just fine and doesn't lower whatever it's present value is.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-01-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:19 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Wee,
You asked "how much".
For someone who's interested in "originality" and having the car 'judged' in the future the black paint would decrease the value of the car by the cost of having it repainted in it's original color. So maybe $7500 to $10,000.
It might be a moot point though depending on what the rest of the car is like and how original it is.
It could be that on the car you're looking at, a "very good quality" black paint job is just fine and doesn't lower it's value.
Regards,
Alan
Alan as always is on point.

Tell us about the car. Is it numbers match all original or NOM and modified?
Remember what "Bats" said about investments too.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Wee
Drifting

Thank Ya'll for the replies.....It will be a couple of weeks before I can take a look at the car....The owner is going on vacation and he doesn't really seem in a hurry to sale....Which isn't a good thing when it comes to price but I'm still working on getting all the funds anyway.

The black paint doesn't really bother me and I'm not looking for a trailer queen...Just a stock looking driver quality with no rust issues...I'm not looking to add this Vette to my retirement plan but I don't want to take a huge loss if I was to have to sell it.

OK so lets talk value....Below is what I was told by the owner, only pics are from an old out of date add I pulled off google and they look good.

71 coupe with a black repaint that looks great....
Bumpers have been re-chromed...
Motor has been rebuilt (not sure if numbers match) The motor pic below appears to have been taken before the repaint, original color was green. I know under the hood it isn't all that original, but it's not a shade tree hotrod botch job at least.
Interior restored as well.

Brian

Last edited by Wee; 02-01-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added info....
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

What is he asking for it?

Based on the pictures alone it looks more like a $15k car.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Wee
Drifting

The old ad was listed at 22k OBO....That was 4 months old. I didn't ask when I talked to him on the phone.

Brian
Old 02-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Wee,
After looking at the pictures I don't think the black paint hurts the value of this car.
I think Revi's about right price-wise if the original engine is under those various parts. Probably a couple thousand dollars less if it's not.
It appears the left side exhaust tip has fallen off.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-01-2015, 09:32 AM
C3Den
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have pointed out, if the buyer is looking for a perfect numbers-matching all original condition 1 car, they won't bother considering a Repaint to another color anyway. I think of all the changes to a car, if it has a quality re-paint to a non-factory color that may be more appealing than the original color, than my view is it won't prevent a reasonable buyer from buying an otherwise nice Vette. I was just that sort of buyer when I purchased my '73 that was a highly factory optioned, numbers-matching car that was all original except the paint was changed from Factory Silver to very nice quality White. The previous owner even had the forethought to leave evidence in inconspicuous place to show the original silver that the door tag 914 code indicates.

Had the car been in it's factory Silver, it may not have appealed to me as much as I wasn't exactly looking for a silver C3 when I set out looking. I had set out looking for either a White or Blue C3.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:42 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I think the number of people that are looking for factory correct cars are dropping off as that generation dies or just gets out of the hobby and retires. The younger people coming up are not even interested in these kind of cars anyway and they are the ones that you would be hoping to buy your factory correct car so I think it is a mute point to worry about originality and long term value . If you like the car do what you want with it and have fun. That's what I'm doing. I couldn't care less about originality as long as it is done with taste . And I would add that black Corvettes are beautiful even if they didn't come that way from the factory.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:56 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Alan pretty much nails it:

It could be that on the car you're looking at, a "very good quality" black paint job is just fine and doesn't lower it's value.

Does a repaint the wrong color hurt the resale value....?

1/3 of potential buyers wont touch it because of the incorrect color.
1/3 couldn't care less, as long as its nice paint and a color they like.
1/3 wont even know the difference.

Looks like a nice car, good luck.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I think the number of people that are looking for factory correct cars are dropping off as that generation dies or just gets out of the hobby and retires. The younger people coming up are not even interested in these kind of cars anyway

I agree.... mostly. There are a few young people who are still very interested in 60s & 70s cars, (like my kids), but they don`t really care about "numbers matching" or originality. I think there is a growing stigma of those original cars being the over-priced collector cars rolling across the BJ auction floor for way too much money.
Younger people are finding that to afford to enter the hobby, a "numbers matching" car is way beyond the budget. There are always exceptions, of course, but I think this is the direction the hobby is moving in general.
My kids have also been around old cars long enough to realize that these are TOYS, not INVESTMENTS. While we`ve never really lost a lot on any car, we never really made a lot either.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree.

Originally Posted by oldgto

I agree.... mostly. There are a few young people who are still very interested in 60s & 70s cars, (like my kids), but they don`t really care about "numbers matching" or originality. I think there is a growing stigma of those original cars being the over-priced collector cars rolling across the BJ auction floor for way too much money.
Younger people are finding that to afford to enter the hobby, a "numbers matching" car is way beyond the budget. There are always exceptions, of course, but I think this is the direction the hobby is moving in general.
My kids have also been around old cars long enough to realize that these are TOYS, not INVESTMENTS. While we`ve never really lost a lot on any car, we never really made a lot either.
I must agree with the 2 posts above. I like and value originality a lot, although I am happy with my Autozone alternator and do not plan to get anything judged. IMHO, I do wonder about how much buyers will value C3 originality 10 to 20 years from now. Yes, the original L88's and other high end C3's will likely do well. But the run of the mill original C3's, 15 years worth of them, I judge might well be more valuable with mods. Data point for you, do you know any 30's, 40's, 50's Fords, Chevys, and the rest that the present owners are bragging about having "original engines" or their 6volt electrical systems? No, I think they are proud of their LS1 C5 Corvette engines and modern rack and pinion steering. So, they want the "looks" and the "style" but definitely not the old mechanicals. Food for thought, anyway.

Good luck with the hunt, Nice Corvette I say, do a through research of actual prices paid, completed ebay and Mechum, plus a great time to buy in Jan/Feb. 15 buys a lot of good C3 these days and this time of year.

Last edited by 20mercury; 02-01-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 PM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks like a pretty decent black respray.
Brands wasn't that great of a green. Damn sure ain't Donneybrooke or Fathom!!

Carter
Old 02-01-2015, 12:15 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Revi
What is he asking for it?

Based on the pictures alone it looks more like a $15k car.

Because you can tell accurately what a car is worth from pictures.

As long as you get what you paid for it, what is the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Does a repaint the wrong color hurt the resale value....?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:15 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you buy that car, you'll end up being one happy Vette owner.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto

I guess I should have stated that most of the younger people are not interested because I know that thankfully there are some still interested but the numbers are so small and the numbers of old classic cars are so huge that there won't be much of a demand for sellers from the younger people since they would rather have a Honda 4 door with a fart muffler. Face it folks , we are the last of the cool.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:00 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Guess it depends on what the original color was to start. Have you ever seen the tan they painted the corvette back in 1977? yeah I would pay MORE for a 1977 NOT to be the original tan.
But that is just one example

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does a repaint the wrong color hurt the resale value....?