Sponsored by:

wipers will not seat to close the door on my 71

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 PM
2001convertable
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Default wipers will not seat to close the door on my 71

Hi, I had my windshield changed and figured that I would mount the tubes on my wiper arms. I had to remove the door and vent panel. Upon testing the wipers they will not go down all the way. Is there an adjustment to make the wiper seat all the way down? thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 12:05 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Glass installer may have put the wiper arms on wrong(wouldn't be the first time this has happened). Remove the arms, run the motor and see if it "parks" when you shut it off. If so then reinstall the arms in the proper position on the shafts.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 AM
2001convertable
Burning Brakes

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Isnt there only one way to mount the wipers. I thought there was a keyway on the wiper arms.

Originally Posted by dugsgms74
Glass installer may have put the wiper arms on wrong(wouldn't be the first time this has happened). Remove the arms, run the motor and see if it "parks" when you shut it off. If so then reinstall the arms in the proper position on the shafts.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes there are adjustments, but what do you mean by "mount the tubes on my wiper arms"? Aren't the squirter tubes and wiper arms one assembly, soldered together?

What position is "not go down all of the way"?

If you have the AIM, there is a page in there that explains wiper arm adjustment.
If your wipers are parking nearly all of the way down, there is a slotted bolt adjustment in the rods near the wiper motor transmission. This adjustment allows for the spacing of the arms (I believe drivers side arm should be underneath the passenger side arm when parked.). This adjustment also controls when the passenger side arm makes contact with the vacuum plunger that will close the wiper door.

The AIM picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 2001,
Although doing what you did shouldn't have affected the motor in any way can you tell if the motor is going to 'park' position as d74 suggested.
It's that movement that settles the wiper arms tight against the stop.
Since the blade stop bracket was probably removed to change the windshield did IT get put back on exactly right?
Regards,
Alan

This is where the adjustment that Revi mentioned is made, it's part of what controls the individual arm's movement.

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-04-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:09 PM
2001convertable
Burning Brakes

Hi, I have to work tonight but I will look tomorrow night. The wipers are not going down enough or parking low enough for the wiper door to close.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You are aware that you MUST have the correct wiper blades on the arms. They HAVE TO BE really thin...so using the blades for a 1982 will not work...they are too thick.

DUB
Old 02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
2001convertable
Burning Brakes

Ok, I figured it out. Yes the adjustment worked. But I bought a bunch of wipers and wiper tubes from what I was told was a 71. I matched up the wipers cleaned and mounted the tubes and installed them.At that point I had the problem. The drivers side is fine but the passenger side gave me all the problems. I took off the passenger side wiper with the new tube installed and matched it up with the old one and it was so close I could barely see a difference if any. I mounted the old wiper on passenger side without the tube and it worked great.So today I mounted the washer tube on the old wiper and I know this will solve the problem. I will post more as I go on. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To wipers will not seat to close the door on my 71

Quick Reply: wipers will not seat to close the door on my 71