Sponsored by:

Lost my dad today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Lost my dad today...

I just need to vent, I think it will make me feel better. I love this forum and have gotten to know some of you so wanted to post. Lost my dad today, he was a full on gear head, having many big block powered Chevies over the years, Donzi and more, all around great guy and this little boys hero forver.

Although he would never brag or boast, that is what I will do in his name today as my father has passed. They are not sure yet if it was a stroke or heart attack, he always had a strong heart and great blood pressure so we will learn more later. This is only a glimpse of who he was.....My father was a great man and he taught me how to be one. If I am a fraction as good as a dad as he was, I will be in great shape. He did the same for my brother, how to be a man, how to be a dad and care for others. He did the same with my sister, showing how to be a parent. He also taught how to be a business owner and salesperson. As a student he excelled with great grades, he also was a talented musician in the high school band all while being a standout athlete, particularly in hockey wherein if it were not for Vietnam he likely could have went all the way as some others in the family had. At 21 he left college, volunteering to go to Vietnam, he had wanted to fly but could not due to his color blindness, which later on turned out to be a gift (more on this later). He became a crew chief, rebuilding the helicopters in less than stellar conditions, which of course was in between flying reconnaissance missions. As an expert marksman he served as a doorgunner in the First Air Cavalry and also spent a lot of times in the jungle with the LRRPs, and Australian SAS. He endured horrific things during and after Vietnam and thanks to family and friends especially his best friend who is my mom. Together they did quite well in life. A few years back was diagnosed with both diabetes and parkinsons - both of which were due to Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam. For those who knew him, he didn't let that slow him down. His greatest pride was in the family he raised and was a part of. He put three of us three of us through college, he was there at every turn to help us and share in the joy of life. The hard lessons he learned in Vietnam, gave him a unique perspective and one that enhanced his value of life and how important it was to find the joy in it. He was always quick to work on someones car or house as a favor. He was one of the most open minded people I have ever known. He didn't care what race someone was, what their religion was, if they were gay, straight or whatever, he took pride in knowing he served his country to maintain its freedom so that people could live in their own way whatever that may have been. He taught my brother, sister and I to be strong and by that he meant do not be afraid to speak out, do not be afraid to show emotion, make sure to always stay true to your word and to help out people in need. I will do my best as I know my family will in helping his little buddy Noah to fully understand the great and giving person that Big Grampy was, although I believe Noah is already fully aware of this.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

So sorry for your loss , thoughts and prayers for you and your family in this time of grief .
..Thanks for sharing your story & just remember he will always be there for you , maybe not physically but in everything YOU do in life .
Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

man I am sorry for your loss. My thoughts will be with you and your family.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 PM
corvette_snoopy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So sorry for the loss of your Dad, he sounds like a swell guy! I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that he didn't suffer thru any long term debilitating illness like my Dad. He is in late stage dementia, cant talk or communicate, doesn't even recognize his own family, he is in a rats nest of a nursing home. My Dad was a car guy also, a Ford man, but he appreciated any good hot rod. His dad lived to 82 years old, still completely self independent and sharp as a tack, he had a heart attack in a grocery store and passed away before he even got to the hospital. That's the way to go out.

So sorry again for your loss, God Bless.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 PM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss. His memory will live on in you and your siblings.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

So sorry to hear of your loss...reminds me to spend more time with my folks, even though they are several hours away. Pray that God provides peace for you and yours. Semper Fi - Bill
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Very well written, your Dad would be and probably is from up above extremely proud of not only you, but your entire family. For it was the inspiration, values and the understanding of life that he taught and shared with everyone that made him so special.
I know what it is like to lose parents, and while it is very difficult to say the least, especially right now, believe me you will have many future moments of happiness and some occasional sad ones too, when you think about him. And you already realize and appreciate him now on the enormous impact that he had on all, during his lifetime.
He sounds like a very great man....may he R.I.P. take care Tom

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 02-09-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:35 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

That was a great tribute to your Dad. Cherish all the good times you had.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear that B.C.

If there is any good news in this....it is this........that my Dad and my son Blake are greeting him in Heaven now.....and soon he will meet JESUS!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

So sorry for your loss. That was beautiful what you wrote. Your father was an amazing man it sounds. I always said I wanted to be like my father who was an amazing person as well. Your dad raised you and your siblings and with your mom did a terrific job. Our lives are fragile and we are just passing thru here. Cherish those memories and may he rest in peace but continue to watch over you and your family.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:51 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks guys, thanks for the kind words and sharing, my dad was the real deal, great guy all around
Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 PM
kenpofan
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You all are in our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by kenpofan; 02-10-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:09 PM
lowes-yellow77
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default sounded like great man

Sorry for your loss. Prayers of comfort to you amd your family during this time
Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

You are lucky to have a great father, he'll always be with you in your heart.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

So sorry for your loss.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:25 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSTONCAMARO
I just need to vent, I think it will make me feel better. I love this forum and have gotten to know some of you so wanted to post. Lost my dad today, he was a full on gear head, having many big block powered Chevies over the years, Donzi and more, all around great guy and this little boys hero forver.

Although he would never brag or boast, that is what I will do in his name today as my father has passed. They are not sure yet if it was a stroke or heart attack, he always had a strong heart and great blood pressure so we will learn more later. This is only a glimpse of who he was.....My father was a great man and he taught me how to be one. If I am a fraction as good as a dad as he was, I will be in great shape. He did the same for my brother, how to be a man, how to be a dad and care for others. He did the same with my sister, showing how to be a parent. He also taught how to be a business owner and salesperson. As a student he excelled with great grades, he also was a talented musician in the high school band all while being a standout athlete, particularly in hockey wherein if it were not for Vietnam he likely could have went all the way as some others in the family had. At 21 he left college, volunteering to go to Vietnam, he had wanted to fly but could not due to his color blindness, which later on turned out to be a gift (more on this later). He became a crew chief, rebuilding the helicopters in less than stellar conditions, which of course was in between flying reconnaissance missions. As an expert marksman he served as a doorgunner in the First Air Cavalry and also spent a lot of times in the jungle with the LRRPs, and Australian SAS. He endured horrific things during and after Vietnam and thanks to family and friends especially his best friend who is my mom. Together they did quite well in life. A few years back was diagnosed with both diabetes and parkinsons - both of which were due to Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam. For those who knew him, he didn't let that slow him down. His greatest pride was in the family he raised and was a part of. He put three of us three of us through college, he was there at every turn to help us and share in the joy of life. The hard lessons he learned in Vietnam, gave him a unique perspective and one that enhanced his value of life and how important it was to find the joy in it. He was always quick to work on someones car or house as a favor. He was one of the most open minded people I have ever known. He didn't care what race someone was, what their religion was, if they were gay, straight or whatever, he took pride in knowing he served his country to maintain its freedom so that people could live in their own way whatever that may have been. He taught my brother, sister and I to be strong and by that he meant do not be afraid to speak out, do not be afraid to show emotion, make sure to always stay true to your word and to help out people in need. I will do my best as I know my family will in helping his little buddy Noah to fully understand the great and giving person that Big Grampy was, although I believe Noah is already fully aware of this.
All of us who have lost our Dads know what you are feeling right now. You will have a myriad of emotions, let them all play out. It will get easier to make it thru the day and night, but we just don't know when that will be. Hang in there. Many people are saying prayers for your Dad and you, hope you can draw on that to help out. Bless your Dad.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:35 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Reading your words on how he lived makes me wish I lived more like that. I would like to be remembered like that by my kids. Your tribute shows that he succeeded in being someone we all look up to. I know what he would expect of you now. He would want you to pick up where he left off and be the strong one now for your family. Just the way he has taught you. Live like him and you will see him again.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost my dad today...

Old 02-10-2015, 12:05 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by radiotexas
All of us who have lost our Dads know what you are feeling right now. You will have a myriad of emotions, let them all play out. It will get easier to make it thru the day and night, but we just don't know when that will be. Hang in there. Many people are saying prayers for your Dad and you, hope you can draw on that to help out. Bless your Dad.
I lost my Dad 22 years ago this October. Not a day goes by that I don't think about a fond memory. Have faith. God bless you and your family.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

sorry for your loss
Old 02-10-2015, 01:50 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry for your loss. May you and your family find peace.

Quick Reply: Lost my dad today...