Door handle rod swivel-pin

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:29 AM
mdeslyper
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Door handle rod swivel-pin

76 vette.
The clip holding the rod barrel swivel pin to the door opener mechanism broke and the pin disconnected from the hole in the mechanism. Now the outside handle will not open the door.

I have a new clip, but it looks impossible to get it installed. Who has done this? Is there an easy way to get it installed?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Got a picture?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,728 Posts

I just found out there are "right-hand" and "left-hand" clips.....they will not interchange.

Last night I found a "variety pack" of clips at Pep Boys until I can order the correct clips.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:18 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

I assume you mean this one? http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...lock-rod-clip/

Did one on a 77 last year. Impossible no but helps if you or someone helping has small hands to get in the opening to slide it on. When replacing a handle the instructions always say to just slide the clip a little to remove the pin because you don't want it to fall off. Frustrating and took some time.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Any time you are working on anything to do with the door latches , take the two bolts out of the upper part of the rear glass track and move the top part of the track forward. It will give you plenty of room to get your hand in there.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Red Vert 02
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Just did my outside door handle and latch on the 69. I did not have to mess with the window or tracks. If your arms aren't too muscle bound (big) or too short the easiest way is to put the window all the up, remove the access cover at the center bottom of the door, and reach all the way up to the door lock. You can easily put the clip on by feel and pop the rod swivel back on. Make sure you put the clip back on the correct way so you can get the swivel back off easily if ever needed. You will have to take the lock water shield off if it's still there.
The latch comes out and in the same way.

Last edited by Red Vert 02; 02-11-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:53 AM
mdeslyper
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I have not tried the last method (coming up from the bottom thru door access hole). Will try this weekend.

Mike
Old 02-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Vette Fetish
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange that I am reading this today! I took possession of my 73 last Friday. The drivers door was open when I got in so I had no idea the door would not close well or open at all using the outside door handle. The door panel fits extremely well, door alignment is perfect as well as door sill.

Now in order to drive the 73 I get in the passengers door, use the inside door handle to open the DAMN door.Gezzzz and to think I PAID a professional to cause me all this grief.

Last edited by Vette Fetish; 02-18-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:16 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my wife reinstall my new handle in my 79. Even with her small hands it was a tough job.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:54 PM
mdeslyper
Instructor

Spent 2hrs today trying to get the barrel swivel pin installed with the clip. I loosened the latch mechanism from the door to give me added movement but still a no go. Clip kept moving and falling off when pin got close tot the hole. Tried reaching through the bottom of the door with one hand and had the other hand through the top hole.

How did they do this on the assembly line!!!!
Frustrated!!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Red Vert 02
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mdeslyper
Spent 2hrs today trying to get the barrel swivel pin installed with the clip. I loosened the latch mechanism from the door to give me added movement but still a no go. Clip kept moving and falling off when pin got close tot the hole. Tried reaching through the bottom of the door with one hand and had the other hand through the top hole.

How did they do this on the assembly line!!!!
Frustrated!!
The clip is supposed to be an interference fit on the arm. Try lightly squeezing it with pliers before sliding it on.
On the assembly line I'm pretty sure the door latch/lock /handle were installed before the window tracks and glass.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:38 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Vert 02
Just did my outside door handle and latch on the 69. I did not have to mess with the window or tracks. If your arms aren't too muscle bound (big) or too short the easiest way is to put the window all the up, remove the access cover at the center bottom of the door, and reach all the way up to the door lock. You can easily put the clip on by feel and pop the rod swivel back on. Make sure you put the clip back on the correct way so you can get the swivel back off easily if ever needed. You will have to take the lock water shield off if it's still there.
The latch comes out and in the same way.
Not a big deal to move the top of the rear window channel forward. Takes 10 seconds to remove the two 7/16 bolts and slide the top of the track forward giving you plenty of room to work in there . Make sure the window is down.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:26 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

"Make sure you put the clip back on the correct way".

When you slide the retaining clip on it should stay in place securely and then you snap the barrell pin in. Look at picture #9 here:http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/4696/
Is that the orientation you have?

Is it possible you have the clip flipped? just a thought.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 AM
mdeslyper
Instructor

After another hour or so on Sunday I got it back together - Whew.

Clip is oriented correctly.
Everything is working great now.

Thanks for the tips.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Door handle rod swivel-pin

Quick Reply: Door handle rod swivel-pin