Sponsored by:

72 with air heater core change

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 72 with air heater core change

After putting it off way to long I am diving in tomorrow and start the removal process of the heater core. I have looked at several videos and looked at several web pages. Good thing is that I am not time limited so I can take my time. Wish me luck. I will take photos of the process. I have a assembly manual, service manual and both Haynes and chilton books as well. Oh I also have whiskey if things go south. Lol

I plan on getting dr.rebuilds gasket kit and core. Either way this will be the first and last time the core is replaced! My kids can worry about it next time!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Brother Rob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please please please share what you can. My 73 needs a new core. Would appreciate any insights you can share. Including links to videos and other sources you feel are most useful.

When I bought her and drove her home a couple of weeks ago I almost froze to death. Clear dry, but COLD day. My breath was freezing on the inside of the windshield. I don't care if I ever figure out how to get my AC working, but I'll want heat on some of those cold Michigan Spring/Fall cruising evenings. Heck, there will be Summer nights where I'll want heat.

Good luck. Looking forward to updates.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have the right attitude. I did mine in one complete day in my shop, but in hindsight I would have done a few things differently.

Friendly tip: pull the seats out, it helps a lot! Good luck & disconnect the battery, ask me why this is important.

Hans
Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

I found this you tube video.

This website. http://www.julietpage.com/corvettes/...e/HeatCore.htm

I have looked at several threads on this site so I feel pretty good about it. I plan to take it out and take plenty of photos along the way. I am also going to do. the 84 fan motor and squirrel cage mod and convert the AC to 134. While I am at it I plan to put a cheap cruise control on it. I have put several audiovox cruise units on motorcycles and they are really easy to install and should be easier on this car. Trying to get it all done so I can finish my 57 two door post.

Last edited by SWO vette; 02-11-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Brother Rob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That looks like a pain. I'm guessing I'll want to replace my POS radio at the same time so I don't have to mess with the dash twice.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Looking forward to updates.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:28 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Well, it is easier than it looks. I took about two hours and got all the stuff off in front of the core box. I will post up some photos tonight. I put everything I took off on my work bench in the order of disassembly.

I am wondering where the stud that goes through the firewall is located so I stopped for lunch and to research it. I plan on getting it out after lunch.

Later. After lunch I started again and I had the heater box with core out in 20 minutes. The stud everyone refers to is on the top of the housing toward the left side. I got lucky..it did not have a nut on it. Who knows why. All in all it went better than expected. I did hang the center gauge cluster from the mirro with some string to keep from disconnecting it. I was surprised with the small amount of tools needed. 3/8, 5/16 and a 1/4'all deep well sockets and 2 long extensions- best I can remember. I used a cordless drill on the screws. I can't upload photos for some reason from my iPad or I would upload some. I rather do this than assemble a swing set just saying. I would be happy to email them to anyone if needed.

It feels good to be working on the cars again after working on restoring cycles for the last several years.

Last edited by SWO vette; 02-12-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:41 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

When I ty to upload I get a error message that says backend fetch failed. Sounds serious. Suggestions?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:53 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Brother Rob
Wow. That looks like a pain. I'm guessing I'll want to replace my POS radio at the same time so I don't have to mess with the dash twice.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Looking forward to updates.
I literately just finished up doing this last night. I myself removed the dash and was for me a whole lot easier than to work with space limitations.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:30 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Started putting the car back together. Core box went in very easy. I did note that the longer of the three screws goes in the hole on the lower left of the heater box. The core was smaller than the factory one and I had to shorten the straps and rebend them. No biggie. Make sure you have the vacuum line that goes to valve in the right footwell routed right. I found one source of air leaks as the rubber thing that goes over the lines was missing. Anyway I installed that and glued the new foam gaskets to the box and stopped for the day.

Update 2-25-15
Take good notes and label all hoses. Left one off which resulted in me having to take heater core box back out. Also make sure you write where you can read it. Also make sure you bag the bolts. Make sure you install the defroster duct prior to putting the cross duct in. The cross duct is the hardest one to put back. Stopped for the day Next up. Radio and finish up details. At this point I have not got into something that common tool will not solve. I have been surprised by the lack of tools needed. Just a 5/16 and 1/4 inch socket and a Phillips. Need two long extensions however,.

I would suggest that if your central vents are bad now is the time to replace them. Will update as we get it back together. Mission creep is a real possibility with this.....

Last edited by SWO vette; 02-25-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Well it is basically back together. Radio plays-waiting on right speaker, all functions on heat defrost and air. Success.

However....... When I got it back I together I only had air out the AC vent. No heat or defrost. Took it back apart and it looked good with everything hooked up. Turns out it was a vacuum hose just below the right hood spring. Somehow I knocked it off..I guess when I did the fan. I am so kicking myself for not looking at the simple stuff. But all is not lost as I took the time to fix some issues with the radio and console mounting.

The main issue remaining is the console plate mounting. The plastic has broken off over the years so the top cover for the console just lays there with nothing to screw it into. Suggestions? Thinking of hot gluing some nut plates to the remaining plastic.

Another deal of good news is UPS moved up my delivery date of my part order to tomorrow instead of Monday. I guess it has something to do with bad weather. Anyway, I will take it. I will pick up new heater hoses tomorrow and change oil while it is on jack stands.

I hope this helps someone as on the surface it appears to be a difficult job. In reality it is not that hard just time consuming. The worst part was getting the front air duct in and out. You just had to hold your mouth just right and string the right word combo together.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 with air heater core change

Quick Reply: 72 with air heater core change