Antenna mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:44 PM
mtnance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Antenna mount

Does the antenna rod separate from the base mount? I have a new car cover that tells me to put a hole in it to accommodate but I'd rather unscrew it than put a hole in a cover designed to protect. When I tried, the whole base was beginning to move so rather than go further, just wanted to ask. Might just be rusted on.

Meant to add: 72 stingray

Last edited by mtnance; 02-18-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: add car
Old 02-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,393 Posts

My antenna (1970) simply unscrews from the base.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 541 Posts

I think you risk doing more damage to the car by screwing and unscewing the antenna than you would if a drop of water got thru the hole for the antenna. I would recommend a slit rather than a hole.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:09 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If its the antenna mast Only , It's no biggie. I unscrew it by hand and hand tighten snug by hand also. .did it for 12 years with no close calls at all.Just make sure you're just removing the Mast and not the base.

Last edited by redcruz1120; 02-18-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Just make sure the base nut is tight, and then loosen the mast nut. You may be right in saying the mast nut is frozen.
Hand tighten only after you get 'er free!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mtnance
...I'd rather unscrew it than put a hole in a cover designed to protect...
That's what I do when I put the 68 under the cover.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I unscrew the antenna shaft's nut each time I put the cover on too.
Regards,
Alan

Old 02-19-2015, 02:54 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
I unscrew the antenna shaft's nut each time I put the cover on too.
Regards,
Alan

Great illustration!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:13 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this old thread showing this super-simple procedure. Needless to say, removing the mast is the very first thing I tried to do on my new '82, and the damn thing won't budge. Spent an hour in my driveway applying WD40 to the joint. Then I held the base nut using a wrench wrapped in masking tape while trying to twist the mast with pipe pliers. No go. Is it possible (or common) for the mast and the base to be corroded together? The chrome hold-down nut came off easily enough, but I can't get the mast to move one molecule in any direction.

Last edited by 454Luvr; 11-19-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:15 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
Sorry to resurrect this old thread showing this super-simple procedure. Needless to say, removing the mast is the very first thing I tried to do on my new '82, and the damn thing won't budge. Spent an hour in my driveway applying WD40 to the joint. Then I held the base nut using a wrench wrapped in masking tape while trying to twist the mast with pipe pliers. No go. Is it possible (or common) for the mast and the base to be corroded together? The chrome hold-down nut came off easily enough, but I can't get the mast to move one molecule in any direction.
wd + fiberglass = no good
Old 11-19-2015, 11:23 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slickfx3
wd + fiberglass = no good
Thanks for the tip. I applied it around the periphery of the joint with a saturated Q-tip. None of it got on the paint.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 AM
USA-OSC
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I applied it around the periphery of the joint with a saturated Q-tip. None of it got on the paint.
If it is aftermarket it may be a one piece.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:51 AM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by USA-OSC
If it is aftermarket it may be a one piece.
An aftermarket antenna wouldn't look the same, would it? This looks exactly like a factory fixed-mast antenna. The only thing different from the photos in this thread is that it's missing the bezel under the nut. The car has been repainted at some point, so they must have left that out when they reassembled it. There's a rubber grommet/gasket, but no bezel.

OK, let's say I end up not being able to remove the mast from the base. Is it difficult to replace the entire antenna? Is it accessible from underneath the car, maybe if I pull the wheel? What about the coax cable? Does it disconnect at the base, or is it permanently attached? In other words, does replacement of the antenna base require routing a new cable all the way to the front of the car? Sorry for so many questions. This isn't an area I ever had to work on in my other Vettes, and I don't have a shop manual yet.

Last edited by 454Luvr; 11-20-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:08 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

An aftermarket antenna wouldn't look the same, would it? This looks exactly like a factory fixed-mast antenna. The only thing different from the photos in this thread is that it's missing the bezel under the nut. The car has been repainted at some point, so they must have left that out when they reassembled it. There's a rubber grommet/gasket, but no bezel.

OK, let's say I end up not being able to remove the mast from the base. Is it difficult to replace the entire antenna? Is it accessible from underneath the car, maybe if I pull the wheel? What about the coax cable? Does it disconnect at the base, or is it permanently attached? In other words, does replacement of the antenna base require routing a new cable all the way to the front of the car? Sorry for so many questions. This isn't an area I ever had to work on in my other Vettes, and I don't have a shop manual yet.
Replacing the entire antenna isn't too bad. My '77 had a non-functional power antenna a replaced with an OEM style fixed mast antenna. The cable is a part of the antenna. It isn't too hard to route the cable into the car. I used a string when I pulled the old cable out for pulling the new cable. I was able to access the bottom of the antenna from under the car, but think I removed the muffler on that sideor maybe just disconnected the exhaust from the rear hanger on that side.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:35 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimLentz
think I removed the muffler on that sideor maybe just disconnected the exhaust from the rear hanger on that side.
OK, thanks. I've decided to just drop this thing out of the body and replace it. Aside from the missing and incorrect parts (gasket and bezel), it's not worth the risk of damaging the finish in this area by continuing to wrestle with the stuck mast. It's either corroded in place or some idiot glued it. I'm just hoping it will fall all the way through with the mast attached, and that the through-hole hasn't been mangled. I also need to work on the parking brake, inspect all of the calipers, and pull both door panels this weekend.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:11 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

OK, thanks. I've decided to just drop this thing out of the body and replace it. Aside from the missing and incorrect parts (gasket and bezel), it's not worth the risk of damaging the finish in this area by continuing to wrestle with the stuck mast. It's either corroded in place or some idiot glued it. I'm just hoping it will fall all the way through with the mast attached, and that the through-hole hasn't been mangled. I also need to work on the parking brake, inspect all of the calipers, and pull both door panels this weekend.
I had the same issue since my car is always outside and under a cover, and was getting tired of rainwater getting through the grommeted hole. So when it was time for a new cover, I snaked the antenna and mounted it under the rear deck and put a plug in the hole. I usually listen to ipod music anyway, but I only lost my am reception, FM still fine. So when I replaced my rear clip, I filled in the hole.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:57 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

OK, I finally got around to this. Didn't take a photo of the work itself, but I cut a notch at the joint in the mast where the arrow is pointing, then snapped it off. Finished up by smoothing what's left with a file, then put on the cover. This will be good until I decide I can't live without crappy FM stations.

Last edited by 454Luvr; 11-29-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Antenna mount

Quick Reply: Antenna mount